how much to repair?

Depends on how much of the repairs you can do by yourself. Engine shouldn't be to bad to do a lower end inspection. Now would be the time for the one piece belly mod.  Very salvageable project and could be done right. Too bad I don't need another one or I'd buy it. Good guesstimate in the lower $20K range.

David

Great project for an A&P.

Things to consider....

By the backward curl of the prop, the engine was not making power when it hit.  This lowers the risk of major damage.  But tear down is still required.  The engine/prop had less than 100hrs SMOH.

For a person who is not an A&P,  This project has great risk and no matching great reward.

Instrument panel does not have much to get excited about.

So if vintage mooneys are valued by:

1/3 engine, 1/3 instruments and 1/3 airframe.

The engine is suspect, the airframe clearly needs work and the instruments are relegated to the ancient and some not working category......

Even as a gift, paying retail /by the hour, having someone fix this one could cost as much as purchasing one in airworthy condition.

Is there a good way to determine the condition of the engine without purchasing it? 

Since an OH can cost $25K+, if it is not required, this gamble could pay off.

Just my thoughts,

-a-

Consider that the airplane was totaled, which indicates that the insurance company believed that repairs would cost more than (aircraft value - salvage value).  Unless you're able to do a lot of work yourself, it seems unlikely that you'd come out ahead on this--and even if you can do your own work, it's quite a gamble.

From what you guys are saying, mine should have been totaled in 2005 then. Could be a great project for someone. If you replace everything with new and do a complete overhaul on the engine you're not going to come out ahead. The engine does not need an overhaul and if the crank is fine it will only cost a few thousand to get serviceable. Ever hear of using a used serviceable prop? It can be had for much less than a new one. It all comes out to a matter of perspective. It's what you make of it and I don't replace everything with new. Just my .02 and it can always end up as beer cans!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to fuel your madness:  I bought a gear uppped M20-C at an AIg auction last year with exact same damage for $95000. i bought a used prop, rebuilt the belly skins, did the prop strike inspection, changed out the retract springs, welded up the ground off truss, replaced one flap hinge bracket.....Now have a $15,000 Mooney.  Yes i am an A&P and had probably 90hrs of work in the repairs.  Read the Lycoming Service bulletins concerning prop strikes....a complete teardown is not required, just remove the engine and inspect the rear gear section and change a couple of bolts.   Ken

Quote: planebones

Just to fuel your madness:  I bought a gear uppped M20-C at an AIg auction last year with exact same damage for $95000. i bought a used prop, rebuilt the belly skins, did the prop strike inspection, changed out the retract springs, welded up the ground off truss, replaced one flap hinge bracket.....Now have a $15,000 Mooney.  Yes i am an A&P and had probably 90hrs of work in the repairs.  Read the Lycoming Service bulletins concerning prop strikes....a complete teardown is not required, just remove the engine and inspect the rear gear section and change a couple of bolts.   Ken

Keep in mind that this is a factory remanufactured engine with only 62 hrs.  Even if it has damage there is still going to be may parts that are in very good condition and are still airworthy.  Yes, it is possible the crank could have damage, but then there is new cylinders and many other parts that are in very good shape.

it is very tempting to throw a very low bid at it ($6-7000) and see what happens, it really doesn't look too bad in person, and like others said it has a 62 hour reman.......... but the interior is just so so and radios leave a lot to be desired , so it would have to come up pretty cheap to make it worth while. also how does one prop blade get bent forward and one bent backwards?

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is the fixed boarding step. You can see it got pushed back and therefore, being made of steel, probably did some pretty bad damage to the aluminum parts of the fuselage it is bolted to. Could be a fair amount of repair and expense just on that. Guess that's one advantage to the retractable step.

I agree with others here, if you are willing and able to do most of the work yourself and you have a good A & P with AI willing to work with you and sign off on your work, then it might be worth it. If you are thinking of paying to have these repairs made, then delete the ad off your hard drive and pretend you never saw it. It's really not worth it with so many low priced airworthy Mooneys on the market now.

yeah i think ill pass, ill just wait till jan 2011 when the new KSGU opens 5 miles away and see if i can sang a mooney thats been sitting around that some one doesn't want to ferry to the new airport. still more work than buying one in good shape but i dont mind working on a project,  if the price is right :)

I am almost certain Ive seen this a/c before,bent prop and all.earlier this summer I was asked to land on rny34 @ksac due to closure of main runway.Turns out this very same Mooney had a gearup landing and the airport manager had a fit about all the unauthorized vehicles on the runway....Later I saw this plane in front of airrepair and was talking to owner about it...one look and the cost to Rand R the engine and prop exceeded insured value....hence the ins company owns and later sells to salvage company who I assume has it trucked somehow 550 miles to utah....how did they do it!!!My memory tells me its the same a/c including the faded greenish paint...kpc

Quote: thinwing

I am almost certain Ive seen this a/c before,bent prop and all.earlier this summer I was asked to land on rny34 @ksac due to closure of main runway.Turns out this very same Mooney had a gearup landing and the airport manager had a fit about all the unauthorized vehicles on the runway....Later I saw this plane in front of airrepair and was talking to owner about it...one look and the cost to Rand R the engine and prop exceeded insured value....hence the ins company owns and later sells to salvage company who I assume has it trucked somehow 550 miles to utah....how did they do it!!!My memory tells me its the same a/c including the faded greenish paint...kpc

• 6 years later...

necro-post revival.  pays to do even a lil research:

MOONEY 1974 M20E 200HP. $52700FOR SALE 1940 TTAF. Eng 240 SFRM. Hartzell TopProp 160 S/NEW. All electric. New interior. 6/16 annual. • Contact John D. Barr, Owner - located Flower Mound, TX USA • Telephone: 817-723-6135 . • Fax: 817-430-4866 • Posted December 15, 2016

pretty sure it's the same plane.

On 11/7/2010 at 7:19 AM, DaV8or said:

Quote: mooney11x

You can no longer get a ferry permit for a prop strike.

Really? Sez who? DMax has done it about 100 times and has proposed to do it with Mimi's 231 if that plane doesn't get totaled on her. 

53 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

In Canada it can't be ferried unless the prop strike AD has been carried out.  I'm guessing the FAA is more lenient?

Clarence 

Don swaps out the prop with a "loaner" and flies the plane to KGGG on a ferry permit where the AD is carried out along with any other indicated repairs.

15 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Really? Sez who? DMax has done it about 100 times and has proposed to do it with Mimi's 231 if that plane doesn't get totaled on her. 

Data sample of one:  DC area FSDO said no to prop swap then ferry permit in September 2015 in response to a MSC request on my behalf.   

Makes bureaucratic sense:  Continental says IRAN required after prop strike so on what basis would a FSDO engineer override manufacturer's specific instructions?  

Data sample of one:  DC area FSDO said no to prop swap then ferry permit in September 2015 in response to a MSC request on my behalf.   
Makes bureaucratic sense:  Continental says IRAN required after prop strike so on what basis would a FSDO engineer override manufacturer's specific instructions?  

And Lycoming had an AD issued mandating IRAN on their engines. But in the opinion of some (most?) FSDOs that does not preclude ferrying the plane to a qualified repair facility.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk