How did i live without this?

Guest Mike261

Guest Mike261

Flew my shakedown flight saturday for the newly installed JPI EDM 900. everything worked nicely. There is so much information in one place its a little busy and will take some getting accustomed to it. My scan used to just go from left to right across the top to pick up all this info, now its all on this little display.

On the one hand i have a lot more info regarding individual cylinders, which is comforting. On the other hand I know have to learn to be more precise with the throttle and prop controls. It is hard to dial in precise numbers. 25/25 was easy (but not accurate)566e015e3909a_IMG_2412(1).thumb.jpg.e2ea with the analog gauges.

question: is there a way to change the OAT to C ? this would eliminate the conversion for true airspeed calculations on the airspeed indicator.

Mike

Edited by Mike261
duplicate image removed

Yup got mine a couple months ago - mounted in exact same spot on panel in same orientation - it kicks ass.   The OAT change is easy-  hold step/lf together until you get to the setup menus- the manual describes process pretty well - worth the trouble to go through and set up all your preferences.  Does your MP bounce around over a 0.5 mmHg range?  This is the only annoying glitch on mine- still waiting for JPI to send out a software fix to the dealer.  

Also supposedly there's a way to add gauges that show as bar graphs, in addition to the primary, but the relevant menus won't let me do it even though there's unused screen real estate on the upper right.   Does anyone know how to do this?

Guest Mike261

thanks for the help...no bouncing...I had read about this and the snubber fitting here on MS while researching this. We made JPI aware of it before ordering and they sent all the needed parts.

one surprise was the engine heater. The heaters occupied the bosses that the JPM needed. had to order new heaters that replaced one bolt on the intake runners.

Add $650.00 if you have the tanis cylinder heaters.

mike

Guest Mike261

i just put the finishing touches on the jpi install. Had a machinist make a custom plate to fit where all the engine instruments were, and got some two inch plugs to cover where the manifold pressure and tach were. then a 1/2 ATI plug and some matching paint. what a difference, the panel looks so much cleaner now.

IMG_2442.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mike261 said:

i just put the finishing touches on the jpi install. Had a machinist make a custom plate to fit where all the engine instruments were, and got some two inch plugs to cover where the manifold pressure and tach were. then a 1/2 ATI plug and some matching paint. what a difference, the panel looks so much cleaner now.

IMG_2442.jpg

The factory was installing KX165s as standard equipment in 1998?

Guest Mike261
On December 13, 2015 at 6:55 PM, DXB said:

Yup got mine a couple months ago - mounted in exact same spot on panel in same orientation - it kicks ass.   The OAT change is easy-  hold step/lf together until you get to the setup menus- the manual describes process pretty well - worth the trouble to go through and set up all your preferences.  Does your MP bounce around over a 0.5 mmHg range?  This is the only annoying glitch on mine- still waiting for JPI to send out a software fix to the dealer.  

Also supposedly there's a way to add gauges that show as bar graphs, in addition to the primary, but the relevant menus won't let me do it even though there's unused screen real estate on the upper right.   Does anyone know how to do this?

took your advice...toggled through the settings. changed F to C quite easily, its rather intuitive i didn't even need the manual. this will make TAS calcs much easier. I would like to be able to change the orientation of the graphical information though. The tapes for the fuel gauges are horizontal...logically they should be vertical. 

I also find the analog portion of the mp and rpm useless, this may be because i have old eyes. I think if i had to do it again i would go with the 930 and its bigger display, and while I'm bitching...the lean find flashes leanest for less than a second. I was getting thrashed around with LLWS and i missed it more than once and ended up way on the lean side of peak before i figured it out.

all in all its quite a tool...not perfect, but a far cry better than what i had.

Mike

The timing for things that cycle through may be adjustable.  At least that is the way the 700 series does it.  I Still need the manual to adjust it there is very little that is intuitive about the 700 series.   What you see and how long it stays visible can be adjusted.

waiting for 6 CHTs and EGTs to roll through, 2 seconds each, can be a long time waiting for the piece of data you are looking for.

Best regards,

-a-

Guest Mike261
9 hours ago, carusoam said:

The timing for things that cycle through may be adjustable.  At least that is the way the 700 series does it.  I Still need the manual to adjust it there is very little that is intuitive about the 700 series.   What you see and how long it stays visible can be adjusted.

waiting for 6 CHTs and EGTs to roll through, 2 seconds each, can be a long time waiting for the piece of data you are looking for.

Best regards,

-a-

ill have to look into that, maybe i can change the duration of the leanest notification.

I think maybe intuitive might need a disclaimer, The programming mode is intuitive for someone like me...I worked with the same kind of step through menus for years when i was working with addressable fire alarm systems and PLC's. The function is the same...hold two buttons to get into programming mode, then step through pages. Select page and repeat. My i phone works the same way but i get to scroll through a list of selections instead of only seeing one at a time on the 900 display. In that regard i considered it intuitive.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike261

I just ordered the JPI 900 and I am waiting now for it. Where had You made Your panel and how  much was it?  I fly a M20M.

Also, I hesitate to remove the analog instruments for RPM and MAP because I find the display on the edm 900 too small. What is Your opinion? 

Was Your JPI after installation working properly immdiately or did it require major adjustments?

Happy New Year! 

Thank You. Klaus 

Edited by KlausLang

Guest Mike261
On 1/2/2016 at 1:35 PM, KlausLang said:

Hello Mike261

I just ordered the JPI 900 and I am waiting now for it. Where had You made Your panel and how  much was it?  I fly a M20M.

Also, I hesitate to remove the analog instruments for RPM and MAP because I find the display on the edm 900 too small. What is Your opinion? 

Was Your JPI after installation working properly immdiately or did it require major adjustments?

Happy New Year! 

Thank You. Klaus 

The install for the JPM was 4 AMU but i also had to replace the tanis probes. so if you dont run into that it will be somewhere around 3.4 AMU

I had a friend machine the filler panel to fill the space vacated by the engine instruments, i had the paint matched and used a roller to get the same crinkle finish as the existing panel, i expect it would cost less than 200 bucks.

Yes, the engine instrumentation is almost too small for my 55 year old eyes, i would without question opt for the larger 930 if i did it again, but its not a deal breaker...I can read the engine instruments without readers, but readers make it easier. readers don't make any difference at all if it is approaching night, there is plenty of contrast without the sunlight, also there is a warning light right in my scan that will tell me if anything is outside of normal parameters. The analog semi circles above the digital MP and RPM gauges...I dont even use them, both digital presentations are large enough to use at a glance. I think though that if you positioned the unit on the right side somewhere the image size would be a problem, i have the JPM right next to the six pack.

oh... and everything worked correctly. no issues.

Mike

filler unpainted.jpeg

filler finished.jpeg

Mike, nice panel.   I know its hard to draw the line where to stop when doing upgrades.  Now that the OEM gauges are gone, it would be nice to move the flight instruments up and centred to where they belong?  Have a look at this C172 panel I am making - using KG258 gyro and Sandel SN3500.  The Sandel gets rid of the HSI slaving accessory (one less thing to install), includes the stormscope, displays both nav, GPS and ADF with separate annunciators.  An EDM900 and SN3308 or SN3500 adds some 'glass' and a lot of functionality without a huge capital outlay.  

It helps having a CNC router - I can cut and recut a panel in 30 minutes until I am happy.  If anyone wants to work through the process for a Mooney I would be happy to help.  Its a hobby for me, so might be a little slow.

Don

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:52 AM, Mike261 said:

The install for the JPM was 4 AMU but i also had to replace the tanis probes. so if you dont run into that it will be somewhere around 3.4 AMU

I had a friend machine the filler panel to fill the space vacated by the engine instruments, i had the paint matched and used a roller to get the same crinkle finish as the existing panel, i expect it would cost less than 200 bucks.

Yes, the engine instrumentation is almost too small for my 55 year old eyes, i would without question opt for the larger 930 if i did it again, but its not a deal breaker...I can read the engine instruments without readers, but readers make it easier. readers don't make any difference at all if it is approaching night, there is plenty of contrast without the sunlight, also there is a warning light right in my scan that will tell me if anything is outside of normal parameters. The analog semi circles above the digital MP and RPM gauges...I dont even use them, both digital presentations are large enough to use at a glance. I think though that if you positioned the unit on the right side somewhere the image size would be a problem, i have the JPM right next to the six pack.

oh... and everything worked correctly. no issues.

Mike

filler unpainted.jpeg

filler finished.jpeg

The insert looks nice.  I am installing a 900 and also have a Tanis.  What did you have to do to the Tanis to allow for the 900 install?  If parts are needed, I would like to go ahead and get them on order. 

On February 2, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Mike261 said:

you have to remove the existing probes and install new ones in the screw holes for the intake runners. about 650

Ouch. That is painful seeing that a brand new Tanis system is only $200 more. I saw a "snubber fitting" mentioned above. What is this for and is JPI automatically including it with new purchases for Mooneys?

Guest Mike261

you will see it mentioned in some posts on the site...there were issues with bouncing manifold pressure readings, I did not need the fitting in the end...dont know if they fixed the problem with software or something else, but i made the mechanic aware of the issue and he hashed it out with JPI. 

mike

On February 2, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Mike261 said: you have to remove the existing probes and install new ones in the screw holes for the intake runners. about 650

Ouch. That is painful seeing that a brand new Tanis system is only $200 more. I saw a "snubber fitting" mentioned above. What is this for and is JPI automatically including it with new purchases for Mooneys?

you will see it mentioned in some posts on the site...there were issues with bouncing manifold pressure readings, I did not need the fitting in the end...dont know if they fixed the problem with software or something else, but i made the mechanic aware of the issue and he hashed it out with JPI. 

mike

I was one of the JPI owners that got caught with the fluctuating MP. I had to send the unit back to have a new firmware flashed on it. They also changed the color scheme and made some changes to the format of information. Been fine since.

Old firmware:

732c3e8e45f43a7580b3ef76df4bc0d9.jpg

New firmware:

50927490b31c77afa08728a200f624d0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest Mike261

comparing mine to your new firmware pick, it is evident i have the new firmware.

i like the new editions tach and manifold pressure scale because it is less busy, but the old fuel display is better it actually gives you a digital readout of gallons remaining instead of just the tape.

change for changes' sake i wonder, or something more nefarious? 

mike

Mike -- Thanks for the PIREP on the 900.   Your panel looks great.  I am getting a 900 installed in a couple weeks and like where you had yours installed.  I was checking my panel and (at least on my '78 J) it looks like the 900 would be fairly close to the gear switch.  Was this an issue for you when you had yours installed, or is it far enough away so it is not an issue? 

Thanks much.

Hiram