Mooney A&P Fort Worth

Pictreed

I used Billy from Boss Aviation at Northwest Regional (52F).  http://www.bossaviationservices.com/ 

I was trying to work through the long distance purchase of a M20F.  He did the inspection at the owners hangar at a different airfield.  He was very professional, quick to answer phone calls and emails.  Additionally, he saved me from making a huge $$$$ mistake.  The plane photographed well..... after 29 discrepancies were found on this in-annual aircraft, I was more than happy to walk away from that plane with just the pre-buy bill.

16 minutes ago, Pictreed said:

My examiner buddy, who is also a friend of the seller, also told me Don so that's where it will go.  The annual recently expired so I may have to do that first. 

Thanks

You can get a ferry permit for the annual.  See if the seller will agree to a prebuy/annual at Don Maxwell.

• Like 2

Question about having a Don Maxwell prebuy.  If Don did the annual and signed it off on 31 October 2015 and you were going to buy this plane in December 2015 would you have a prebuy done or just use the recent Don Maxwell annual?

I would probably still have a pre-buy done.  You don't know which FBO line guys have been touching the plane.  You don't know if there was/were any hard landings to the detriment of the airframe.  It's some more hours that oil could have started showing up in the filter.

I would still go pay Don for a complete pre-buy, but I wouldn't worry about spending the extra to make it an annual, unless that was a convenient time of the year to have your annual scheduled.

Thanks for the advice.  Actually, the owner also a MSer, uses Don for his MX and is actually taking the plane in for a couple of items that were deferred during the annual so I will probably just have the prebuy done at that time.   I'm not sure Christmas is a convenient time for the annual to come due and I know the financial advisor (wife) would concur.

I always reccomend the annual route.  From a cost perspective it doesn't add much and it makes the AI have skin in the game because they have now signed the books.  Love Don and he did my annual pre-buy and some subsequent annuals/work but business is business and when you are making a major investment better to uncover all the rocks especially when the cost is negligible.  

Don is the premier resource for Mooney annuals.

A PPI performed by an independent resource is for your wallet's protection.

Since having the annuals done at Don's shop, the PPI being done elsewhere will be a straight forward affair.

Don did my last PPI.  I would hate to have go somewhere else for that reason. But it still makes sense.

I would prefer a decade of Don's annuals in my logs than just Don's PPI in my folder.

Sounds like a good problem to have,

-a-

I have only heard good things about Don.  I have a couple of emails into him, but have not heard back.  I would call, but am deployed overseas and not in a position to make phone calls to the states.  I'm sure he is busy with the winter rush for annuals and the holidays.

On a different note, sorry to derail this thread further, but does anyone know a good Mooney CFI in or around KGGG to do a checkout?

3 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Parker would be an excellent choice for a CFI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ill second Parker. I have referred a few of my clients to him when I was unavailable and have received positive feedback from the clients. Ill be in Longview late next week/beginning of the following for an annual

Thanks for the information.  I am still working out the dates for taking delivery of the aircraft although I know it will happen at KGGG.  I live in the panhandle of Florida so I will need to complete the transition training to ferry the plane home.

13 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Thanks for the information.  I am still working out the dates for taking delivery of the aircraft although I know it will happen at KGGG.  I live in the panhandle of Florida so I will need to complete the transition training to ferry the plane home.

Let me know, I just finished up an Instrument student in a new acclaim in Panama City Beach and have worked out of that area often.

Mike Elliott

MCFI

Thanks Mike,

I just PM'd Parker, but will let you know.  Tarpon Springs is a good distance from PCB although probably worth the trip for an Acclaim. I am in the process of purchasing a 75 M20F.  I will need to knock out my training in Texas since that is where I will be picking up the plane.  The crazy insurance company only requires me to get one hour of dual.  I do have a little over 5K hours in complex, all turbo prop.  I only have 90ish in GA and none since 1999.  So I am confident I can make the houses get smaller and larger, however I know one hour is a little shy to be anywhere near current or proficient.

I figure initially I would like to fly at least 4-5 hours in the pattern and instruments just to feel comfortable with the ferry flight home, then I will look at picking up a few more hours with a CFI once back in Florida.

~kp

9 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Thanks Mike,

I just PM'd Parker, but will let you know.  Tarpon Springs is a good distance from PCB although probably worth the trip for an Acclaim. I am in the process of purchasing a 75 M20F.  I will need to knock out my training in Texas since that is where I will be picking up the plane.  The crazy insurance company only requires me to get one hour of dual.  I do have a little over 5K hours in complex, all turbo prop.  I only have 90ish in GA and none since 1999.  So I am confident I can make the houses get smaller and larger, however I know one hour is a little shy to be anywhere near current or proficient.

I figure initially I would like to fly at least 4-5 hours in the pattern and instruments just to feel comfortable with the ferry flight home, then I will look at picking up a few more hours with a CFI once back in Florida.

~kp

Parker would be an excellent choice, I owned an F model for 15 years. If it works out things happen a week from next tues.or Wed., Ill be in Longview to pick up my Bravo, which I am taking next Friday to Don.

28 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Let me know, I just finished up an Instrument student in a new acclaim in Panama City Beach and have worked out of that area often.

Mike Elliott

MCFI

Mike,

My schedule is pretty difficult for December.

KP- I just sent you an email.  Mike Elliott might be the best for you.  My travel expenses might be less, but American Airlines is known for having a goofy pricing structure that makes TPA-DFW-GGG a fairly inexpensive ticket.  If you don't mind traveling on the World's Largest HeAAdAAche.  Then you could drop Mike off at home and do the return flight back up the panhandle.

Just now, mike_elliott said:

Parker would be an excellent choice, I owned an F model for 15 years. If it works out things happen a week from next tues.or Wed., Ill be in Longview to pick up my Bravo, which I am taking next Friday to Don.

This sounds perfect...Mike, I think you should take the work if your schedules align.

Just now, Parker_Woodruff said:

This sounds perfect...Mike, I think you should take the work if your schedules align.

Ill be in Richardson over the weekend if you want to get together, Parker. Heck, if this all aligns, you might need to sell some insurance to Kpaul and have me added as named insured with a WOS... :)

Speaking of that, do you feel like possibly doing an insurance presentation at the next Mooney Summit? (sorry, I am hijacking this tread, Ill stop now...)