Accutrac

I have had the parts/pieces for adding an Accutrac to my PC for a long time.  Every time I get the urge to install it and get it working, I stumble on a very basic part of the installation:

Where does the brain-box fit into, or under the panel?

For those of you pre-J guys who are lucky enough to have an Accutrac installed, can you tell me (pictures would be great!) where you found to put the "box"?

IMG_5529.thumb.JPG.3c69261db90d86cbc02bfIMG_5530.thumb.JPG.2dc39856341c5f0b548a5

It looks like you have a remote box with the switches removed from the box and the wires extended, I think brittain built some this way, but it is not the common setup.  If you don't have the faceplate to mount the switches in I would call brittain and see if they have one.  If you have the faceplate it may be possible to mount it back to the unit or just leave it remote like it is.  If it's left as a remote unit just be sure that wherever you mount it gives you easy access to the internal gain adjustment.  

This is the more common setup. It's also available with the toggle switches like you have. It's usually mounted in a cutout or with 2 Adel clamps just below the panel.

image.jpeg

Hmmmm.  Didn't realize there were different configurations.  Thank you for that picture.

Yes, mine allows for the box to be put some distance from the controls.  I didn't realize that there were other configurations.  My panel doesn't have room for a non-remote box without major shuffling of components, so I guess my remote box is actually a benefit.

Now that I see what your non-remote box looks like, I see that the case of my box still has the cut-outs for the remote components.

I do have space on the panel for the toggle switches and the turn knob.  What I am wondering is where people have been mounting the remote box like mine.

IMG_5531.JPG

Mine is in the right radio stack above the Loran C.    You might have room at the center of the radio access panel   The valve assy. mounts to the inside firewall at the top inline with pilot yoke shaft.  Assuming you have radio access panels.

If you don't have one you can find the correct installation manual with a little searching on the internet or you can call Brittain and they will probably email a copy of it to you. Haven't seen a remoted one but not saying it hasn't been done. Probably makes little difference where you mount it except for maintenance access. Mine works great!

Thanks.

I do have the installation guide.  It says to insall the remote box wherever it will fit.

I'm  going to see if there's room above the copilots yoke like Hank's.  I think when I checked before, it interfered with full aft yoke.

You are exactly right, Rob.  My panel doesn't lend itself to mounting items below the panel.

I went out to the hangar to see if it would fit like Hank's, but it wouldn't.

I actually was trying to find some space somewhere on the left panel so that the knob/switches could be mounted where they be easily accessible.  But about the only place I could fit the box was against the right forward sidewall near the shower of sparks box.  I'm not sure that is a workable solution.

I'm still hoping "someone" will show me the perfect location.  Obviously, since mine is a remote box, the wiring could be lengthened to permit the box to sit on the rack in the tail cone.  However, that would be an extreme solution and who knows what electrical gremlins would lurk on those long wires.

Just now, N601RX said:

Do you have the large flat side air scoops on each side.  I mounted one of my control boxes to it. You could also fab a bracket like the altitude hold uses to mount it to the side skin. 

Mmmmm.  I'm not sure what you're referring to.  This is on the left sidewall below the panel?