How good do your brakes work?

Joe Larussa

I thought they were supposed to be glazed as part of the conditioning process. 

Bifurcation in terms of trouble shooting - can the power of your foot be transmitted adequately to the piston?  If not need to check air in lines, leaks, master cylinder etc.  One side or symmetric poor braking? Both the same check caliper / pistons pads.  

Pads make all the difference in the world.  I have not been able to lock up my tires and feel I could use a little more braking power.  Now in comparison to a Porsche or even my FR500s factory Mustang race car, these really suck!  My friend has the same FR race car and when I drove his, almost went off the track!  I asked him what kind of pinto brakes he put on his car.  They were what came with his car.  I let him drive mine with a much different pad and he couldn't believe the difference in braking power.  I gave him a set of mine and he won't use anything else now.  I doubt there is much choice in pad lining material for our planes.

I agree about the brake pads. Back when I was racing (back in the 60s), Ferodo was the only way to go. I had a friend who was sponsored by Raybestos. He would put Ferodo pads into Raybestos boxes in case the Raybestos guys came through the pits. 

On 11/23/2015 at 5:28 AM, Yetti said:

Should be able to lock up and flat spot the tires.  If the pedals go all the way to the floor, then you probably still have some air in the line.   If the pedals are tight but plane won't stop then there may be glaze on the discs.

I could do this if the plane is light on the wings but not when the plane is firmly on the ground not by a long shot.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

3 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I agree about the brake pads. Back when I was racing (back in the 60s), Ferodo was the only way to go. I had a friend who was sponsored by Raybestos. He would put Ferodo pads into Raybestos boxes in case the Raybestos guys came through the pits. 

These days Raybestos pads are some of the best, especially for heavy cars (like mine).   They're all I use, and I've switched back-and-forth between Raybestos, Porterfield, Carbotech, and various Hawk compounds.   Landed back on Raybestos a few years ago and haven't seen a need to switch since.   Lately this is a moving field, though, with some new entries in the market that are getting some attention.

A weird thing on contingency sponsorship now is that Hawk will give you contingency as long as you have their stickers, and no other brake manufacturer's stickers, on your car, regardless of whether you're running their pads or not.   It's been like that for a long time and I used it to pay for a switch back to Hawk pads after I'd run on Carbotechs for a long time.  ;) 

4 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

Pads make all the difference in the world.  I have not been able to lock up my tires and feel I could use a little more braking power.  Now in comparison to a Porsche or even my FR500s factory Mustang race car, these really suck!  My friend has the same FR race car and when I drove his, almost went off the track!  I asked him what kind of pinto brakes he put on his car.  They were what came with his car.  I let him drive mine with a much different pad and he couldn't believe the difference in braking power.  I gave him a set of mine and he won't use anything else now.  I doubt there is much choice in pad lining material for our planes.

Most automotive/track pads are made for use with iron rotors, big ones that have a lot of ventilation, and I don't know that they'd work well with dinky little steel rotors without wearing them down pretty quickly or cracking them.    Track brakes needs to be brought up to temp to work well, and most applications of GA airplane brakes are on cold pads and rotors.  That said, I don't know that the pad compound is the problem on Mooneys, anyway, as similar airplanes use similar calipers/pads/rotors and brake a lot better than Mooneys do.   I think it may be more in the hydraulic design, and several have suggested that the master cylinders on the Mooney are undersized.   This would, actually, explain a lot of things.

Car brakes are concerned with managing heat and avoiding heat induced brake fade. I doubt anyone cares about that in airplanes because we only use the brakes briefly. 
I’m sure the reason airplane brakes are so much less effective than car brakes is just the lack of braking surface area. A small 2,000 lb car probably has 3 times the braking surface with bigger pads and 4 instead of 3. Aviation brake pukes are tiny. 

-Robert 

41 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Car brakes are concerned with managing heat and avoiding heat induced brake fade. I doubt anyone cares about that in airplanes because we only use the brakes briefly. 
I’m sure the reason airplane brakes are so much less effective than car brakes is just the lack of braking surface area. A small 2,000 lb car probably has 3 times the braking surface with bigger pads and 4 instead of 3. Aviation brake pukes are tiny. 

-Robert 

it is my guess that our planes have less that 10% of the braking force of a car.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert 

My Mooney only has brakes on 2 wheels, while all of my motor vehicles have larger brake rotors on all 4 wheels. So more than double the braking area, and likely greater pressure from the master cylinder. But then again, I often want / need my car to stop in a shorter distance than my Mooney landing rollout . . .

12 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert 

You left out an important detail Robert...

Cars use their front wheels to do most of the braking...

As the braking is under way the front compresses against the road, the back starts to lift...

Our planes don’t have any nose wheel brakes...

That would be cool...

how about a regenerative electric motor to drive the nose wheel from the hangar that also acts as charger when used as a brake...

:)

-a-

• Like 1