Van Nuys, Burbank, Whiteman ???

rahill

Looking for recommendations for airports convenient to West Hollywood for next week.  Burbank (KBUR) is closest, followed by Van Nuys (KVNY), both of which seem to have horrendous fuel prices and unappealing ramp fees (clearly catering to jets).  Whitman (KWHP) is only a few more minutes away, GA friendly and has cheap fuel, but looks like it's not in the greatest neighborhood.  Is there any reason not to chose KWHP?  We would end up leaving the plane in transient for a couple of nights.

Rich

Learned to fly there (KVNY) Still go there. WHP is OK. Security for airplane is good. Neighborhood is OK to drive through going to the freeway. Fuel price is good, Getting a rental car sucks! It's off field quite a ways. 

I now go to VNY and stop at Castle & Cook on the west side just at the south side base of the tower. They have always treated me well, they really do cater to GA singles, I've had no overnight fees if I filled up when I left. They have a car rental in their office and it's always ready when I arrived by calling ahead. They will move your airplane but they are well aware of the Mooney towing limits. I don't go to WHP anymore after finding C&C. 

I feel BUR is the bottom of the list but I have no recent experience there

Check Airnav reviews

West wood is closer to Santa Monica. Santa Monica is still open!! American flyers operates a little FBO and has cheaper gas than Atlantic. Signature, as well as other crooks at VNY will leave you with a thinner wallet. 

The landing Fees at SMO are cheaper than the ramp fees at VNY. My mooney is 10.48 per landing. They will mail you an invoice.

-Matt

West Hollywood is not Westwood :-) BUT the idea of KSMO is a good one. Driving over the Sepulveda Pass to get to West Hollywood from the valley is a B^&*(.  I think there are city parking spots near the east end by the restaurant. They do charge but it might be a better option. 

Getting in and out is not too tough especially if you have flight following. Morning fog can be an issue there . Keep track of the weather.

SMO for sure.  West Hollywood is on the south side of the Santa Monica Mountains.  Just take Santa Monica Boulevard all the way and it goes right through West Hollywood.  I don't know whether American Flyers lets transients park but there is City aircraft parking with a daily parking fee IIRC as well as a modest landing fee.  Fuel is relatively cheap from American Flyers (self serve I think).

If you go into a SF Valley airport, then go to VNY and take the 405 south across the Sepulveda Pass and cruise Sunset Blvd into West Hollywood.

I used to live in Santa Monica...and learned to fly in the LA Basin.  It's the only place where VFR sometimes isn't....locals will know what I mean.