KT 74 Install with GNS 430W

Oldguy

Dropped off my plane Monday morning at 8:00 in Columbus (CSG) at Stark Avionics for a KT 74 install and caught a ride to PDK with another Mooney pilot who works with me. About 4:30 that afternoon I got a call saying the plane was ready to go! Picked it up this morning when they opened and paid the under 3.5 AMU bill. Everything works as expected and caught a great tailwind back to PLR. While they had the panel open, I had them drop a position source from the 430W for a new 406 ELT I am looking at installing during this month's annual.

I cannot remember having such a painless upgrade done on any plane. Dropped it off when they asked, they did the work in the time they said it would take and the bill was about $20 less than they originally quoted. Even though they are about 90 miles from the home drome, getting work done correctly, quickly and as quoted is worth the 45 minute ride. Even got routed right over the top of ATL at 5,000 ft going to pick it up this morning. Great flying day!

John

IMG_1737.JPG

Edited by Oldguy
ATL overflight pic
  • Like 2

I love stories with happy endings!  :unsure:

I'm happy everything worked as predicted.  Keep us posted on any issues you might have going forward.  I'm looking at the same solution....maybe even the same shop since I'm south of ATL.

Good to hear about your positive experience.

I have the similar configuration in my plane: GNS 430W + KT 74 and it works as advertised. TIS-A traffic is displayed on the GNS-430W

The only question I still have is the Audio alert. I have it connected to my Audio panel but I only heard once while on final to landing a very shy and soft voice saying: "traffic not available"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OR75 said:

I have the similar configuration in my plane: GNS 430W + KT 74 and it works as advertised. TIS-A traffic is displayed on the GNS-430W

The only question I still have is the Audio alert. I have it connected to my Audio panel but I only heard once while on final to landing a very shy and soft voice saying: "traffic not available"

The Mooney we flew from CSG to PDK has the altitude audio alert on his KT 74 and he showed me what it does. You effectively get to cruise altitude, set the alert and it goes off when you deviate over 200 ft from the set altitude. It really is just for a warning for non-autopilot cruise flying IMHO. In our case, it went off when we started our descent from cruise. Have never heard the traffic alert, but then I use ForeFlight on full size and mini iPads on the yokes.

5 hours ago, OR75 said:

I have my KT-74 connected to the audio panel and get traffic alerts.  The traffic visual and audio alerts are generated by KT74 according to Bendix King and Garmin GNS displays it.  I also found  a set up tab in the GNS traffic page but not sure if the set ups are uploaded to KT-74.

7 minutes ago, OR75 said:

So ... When do you get an audio alert ? 

I don't have the altitude alert set ( not too interested in that) . I want audio traffic alerts ...

The alert goes off if an airplane could have potential for a collision in 35 seconds (or something like this!) a yellow high light shows the location of the traffic and the audio alert is heard.

I have recently had the audio alerts from my KT74 enabled by my avionics shop.  They were also audible, but at a very low audio level.  The audio volume is adjustable via a setup process within the KT74.  I'd suggest contacting your avionics shop to have them change the audio level or contact King for the procedure.  If you do the procedure yourself, I'd recommend using caution not to alter any of the other internal settings.

22 hours ago, OR75 said:

Hmm--I just had a KT74 installed together with a GTN 650, and the shop told me the tis-a traffic output wasn't compatible with the GTN 650 currently, so I'm surprised it works with the 430W.  Has anyone gotten traffic on the GTN 650 from the KT74?   I don't have much to complain about really-  I'm getting tis-b traffic using Stratus+Foreflight, along with its audio alerts linked by bluetooth to the audio panel- it works very nicely.   But still, I'm curious...

17 hours ago, OR75 said:

You can get traffic via the ARINC ports on a GTN series

Your shop probably did not know how to  configure the KT-74 and GTN and / or they did not bother pulling the 2 wire required

I actually also emailed Bendix a few months back before the install - just found the email, they said " The KT 74 is only capable of receiving TIS-A traffic but it can't be displayed on the GTN 650 because the data formats do not match."   Has this changed? It seems this could be addressed easily by a firmware update on the GTN I would think. 

1 hour ago, DXB said:

I actually also emailed Bendix a few months back before the install - just found the email, they said " The KT 74 is only capable of receiving TIS-A traffic but it can't be displayed on the GTN 650 because the data formats do not match."   Has this changed? It seems this could be addressed easily by a firmware update on the GTN I would think. 

I believe the KT emulates the GTX 330 for traffic. worth trying if it has been wired.

17 hours ago, OR75 said: You can get traffic via the ARINC ports on a GTN series

Your shop probably did not know how to  configure the KT-74 and GTN and / or they did not bother pulling the 2 wire required

1 hour ago, DXB said: I actually also emailed Bendix a few months back before the install - just found the email, they said " The KT 74 is only capable of receiving TIS-A traffic but it can't be displayed on the GTN 650 because the data formats do not match."   Has this changed? It seems this could be addressed easily by a firmware update on the GTN I would think. 

I believe the KT emulates the GTX 330 for traffic. worth trying if it has been wired.

I think you are more likely to get the King to emulate something that is compatible with the Garmin than hoping Garmin will emulate anything to work with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk