Tangier Island Trip / Word of caution

Wife and I decided to take a short trip up to Tangier Island and take advantage of some unseasonably warm weather in the Mid atlantic region. TGI's Runway is very smooth, it's been repaved.  It used to be an nightmare with potholes, bumps and grass growing up through the asphalt.  The ramp was also new and is very large with plenty of parking...No tie downs. It's a very short walk from the airfield to "downtown" where there are shops and restaurants. My two kids, wife and I decided to pop in for lunch...However the new runway and ramp turned out to the nicest part of the trip. It was obvious after deplaning that the locals don't take alot of pride in their little island. I had heard that Tangier Island was like a "time capsule" since the only way to get to the island is by boat or plane.  We were hoping for a picturesque fishing/crabbing village, but unfortunately throughout the community there is lots of trash everywhere and everything looked rundown and not well cared for. The people were either very friendly or not at all. It's a small community and if you fly in, everyone knows there are tourists in their midst. We got about as many warm hellos as we did scowls. Overall it was a good afternoon trip to a place that most non-airplane owners will never see...but now that we've seen it, I can check that one off the list, because I probably won't be back.