Blog post on formation flying

gsxrpilot

For those of you who didn't see this on FB, this is a blog post written by a good friend of mine. He experienced close formation flight for the first time riding right seat in my Mooney for a Texas Wing practice session. The write up is very good and includes pictures.  Enjoy.

https://blog.pilotpartner.net/now-learn-to-fly/mooney-flight-formation-flying/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Mooney formation clinics are a lot of fun and I highly recommend them! I think the Yuma clinic is coming up soon, I'm planning on going again. I made this video when I was in the right seat of my first formation flight. I made it so I could review and learn from it. There is a lot of go narrative and explanation in it. It's also posted on the Mooney caravan site.

http://youtu.be/BdAE-fvFKsA

Well done Texas Wing! I hope more get an oppertunity to experience this challenge, thrill & unmatched satisfaction of truly mastering control of your aircraft to another aircraft from take off to landing! Absolutely well done!

Im proud to be one of the 4 founding charter members of this brotherhood of aviators & friends! Only wish I could form fly with you all more often!  See you at the Shack & then off to Yuma Texas Wing Mass Arrivial Style!

Fly safe my TW brothers!

• Like 2

Learning how to fly formation with the Caravan crew has unquestionably made me a MUCH better and much SAFER pilot. I'm very fortunate to have a local group of pilots to practice with. Going up for an hour of work with Sandman, Pinto, Crank, Rhino, or RocketMan pays big into the Safety and Experience bank every time. 

Believe me, shooting an ILS to minimums in a rowdy crosswind is easy compared to holding position on the Wing through an hour of random maneuvers by Lead. Of course the formation practice is MUCH safer, performed at altitude in good weather, and easy to get hours of repetition. 

Any pilot wanting to become a better "stick" should come out to a Caravan Clinic. You might just like it.

I'm looking forward to getting the whole Texas Wing together again for Yuma.

• Like 1