Saw N78905 in Socal?

So, a couple of weeks ago, I was puttering around LA-area airports in a Cessna 152.  I was practicing go-arounds at El Monte, eventually did a full-stop landing, and suddenly I see N78905 taxi and take off.

As the owner of N78909, I'm intrigued.  I looked it up when I got back, and yup -- it's an M20B.  Registered in Utah, though.  Nice to see another M20B, especially such a close sibling of mine.

If the owner of N78905 happens to read this, I'd like to get together and ask some questions.  I'd be especially interested in looking at the exhaust -- it looked like it has the dual-tailpipe exhaust design, which seems pretty rare.

I believe all A and B models came with 2 tail pipes.  The A and B model are basically the same aircraft (same panel, manual flaps, etc).  Mooney replaced the wood wing with a metal wing which made it a B model.  I'm on my 3rd A model.  My first 2 A models had the 2 tail pipe set up.  My current A model had its exhaust converted to the Hanlon Wilson single tail pipe which is on the C model.  I personally like the hanlon wilson exhaust better.  It's less weight, easier to inspect and more room to do maintenance.

On 11/14/2015, 7:52:55, teejayevans said:

Some might not like their tail number posted on the Internet, he may have been there to see his mistress, feeling safe that he couldn't be tracked without ADSB emoji1.png

Eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable.  I probably just got the number wrong in that case.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2015, 6:59:44, kerry said:

I believe all A and B models came with 2 tail pipes.  The A and B model are basically the same aircraft (same panel, manual flaps, etc).  Mooney replaced the wood wing with a metal wing which made it a B model.  I'm on my 3rd A model.  My first 2 A models had the 2 tail pipe set up.  My current A model had its exhaust converted to the Hanlon Wilson single tail pipe which is on the C model.  I personally like the hanlon wilson exhaust better.  It's less weight, easier to inspect and more room to do maintenance.

That is interesting.  I might look into getting that.  I've got a persistent problem with exhaust in slow flight, like with chandelles.  It goes away if I keep the cabin pressure high, but it's pretty annoying.

• 2 years later...

I happen to know for a fact that 78905 has 2 tailpipes, and that Stuart was in El Monte searching for a new mistress, at the Beverly Hills Car Club, his wife and daughter were with him, and his wife Crystal deemed the mistresses too costly so then they left, did a close flyby of the Hollywood sign then proceeded north to San Luis Obispo.

Hope that helps

IMG_0163.thumb.JPG.bf655596cca49c0b51e54b7e73ce48d2.JPG

• Like 8

Just so everyone has an idea of what to expect with a selfie stick out the window, I had a GoPro on the stick and not my phone, although their are times I wouldn’t mind chucking the phone out the window. I had slowed to 100 mph, I gave the controls to the wife, even at 100 this is a 2 handed operation,  tremendous amount of wind force, I think I lost 4mph just from sticking that out the window. But made for kind of a cool shot, if I do it again I will probably drop to 90 mph, keep enough speed in reserve so the right seat doesn’t accidentally stall us.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stuart said:

Just so everyone has an idea of what to expect with a selfie stick out the window, I had a GoPro on the stick and not my phone, although their are times I wouldn’t mind chucking the phone out the window. I had slowed to 100 mph, I gave the controls to the wife, even at 100 this is a 2 handed operation,  tremendous amount of wind force, I think I lost 4mph just from sticking that out the window. But made for kind of a cool shot, if I do it again I will probably drop to 90 mph, keep enough speed in reserve so the right seat doesn’t accidentally stall us.

Interesting...maybe practice in a car while running at 90 mph!..Still I hate to lose control of that stick,have it slam back and crack the plexi

1 hour ago, David Herman said:

establishing that they were for use on the ground only

That musta been before my time on Moooneyspace...  did a search to read about it, informative.  Here's a link to Byron's story: