Turbo Plus Speed Brakes

Mikey

I am new Mooney owner. I have recently purchased a 1982 M20K 231. I have to say that this forum has been very helpful in getting to know my Mooney. It is equipped with Turbo Plus Speed brakes. I can't find the maximum operating speed. I've looked through the forum and only find info on Precise Flight Speed Brakes.  Can anyway help? Thank you!

Welcome aboard Mikey.

Any idea who installed your speed brakes?

The POH should have the STC filed in it.  The STC will clearly define the operating limitations.

If they are like the precise flight ones.  Expect that they are mounted to the spar for good strength.  Only proper documentation will tell you.

you may find it in procedures for emergency descent, and /or limitations.

I'm only a PP, not a mechanic or CFI.

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, WardHolbrook said:

Check the supplement section in your POH. There should be something there that explains the operation and limitations of the speedbrakes. If you don't have the supplement, you're going to have to contact the company and get one.

MIkey,

I had the same issue. I am a 1+ year owner myself and when I went in for first annual my mech and I noticed no STC in my POH or ref in my logbook.  We both assumed they were installed when my airplane went through the Trophy conversion.  Just to make sure I called precise flight and the service team there told me where I could find the serial number on each speed brake.  After taking a panel off and a flashlight I was able to get one of the serial numbers and called them back.  Precise Flight was able to look up model number, who and when they were sold to and also sent me a copy of the STC for my logbook and POH that included operating limits.  I would just give the Turbo Plus guys a call. I am sure they have been down this road before. Good luck and welcome.

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Mikey.

Any idea who installed your speed brakes?

The POH should have the STC filed in it.  The STC will clearly define the operating limitations.

If they are like the precise flight ones.  Expect that they are mounted to the spar for good strength.  Only proper documentation will tell you.

you may find it in procedures for emergency descent, and /or limitations.

I'm only a PP, not a mechanic or CFI.

Best regards,

-a-

Surprisingly most are attached to the wing skins not the spars.

Clarence

Thank you for all the information. I've looked in the POH and there isn't anything in there. I'm thinking because they were an aftermarket add on. I found a a sales flier from TurboPlus saying they can be deployed at any speed. That might be good enough but would rather have a more official document.

The STC for something like this will require the mechanic to attach a flight manual supplement to the existing manual or POH. It your not sure if the stc was properly filed with the faa you can order a copy of your aircraft records for $10. It only takes about a week to get. Then you can see how bad paperwork problem really is. Hopefully it's just some misplaced paperwork on your end by a previous owner. 

Your records should include: copy of the stc, copy of the 337, flight manual supplement, w&b, and logbook entry. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Mikey,

I just bought a 1980 Mooney M20K s/n: and have it flying in Spain. In 1988 this aircraft had one Turbo-Plus Spoiler system 19000 per STCSA3341NM installed. After a lot of searching I have the copy of the STCSA3341NM, and the attached AFMS, I doesn't give to much flying info but al least we will be legal. Now I am looking for the spoilers maintenance manual, perhaps you have something in your records.

• 1 year later...