Installing new windows - sealant options?

Bob_Belville

We'll be installing new windows which arrived yesterday from Great Lakes Aero Products. GLAP does not include sealant but offers 100% GE Silicone - RTV which of course it readily available locally.

My A&P wonders if Mooney (or youse guys) have other sealant recommendations. (Silicone sets pretty fast and is not the easiest sealant to use.) FWIW, the old windows which I removed had Silicone for the 201 style windshield which was installed in 1993. I had to use a hammer and take it out in pieces. The other 4 windows had soft sealant, like plumbers putty, or red silicone like we uses for caulking around engine baffles.  

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

We'll be installing new windows which arrived yesterday from Great Lakes Aero Products. GLAP does not include sealant but offers 100% GE Silicone - RTV which of course it readily available locally.

My A&P wonders if Mooney (or youse guys) have other sealant recommendations. (Silicone sets pretty fast and is not the easiest sealant to use.) FWIW, the old windows which I removed had Silicone for the 201 style windshield which was installed in 1993. I had to use a hammer and take it out in pieces. The other 4 windows had soft sealant, like plumbers putty, or red silicone like we uses for caulking around engine baffles.  

Hi Bob,

PRC 1425 is for sealing windows.

Clarence

42 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Hi Bob,

PRC 1425 is for sealing windows.

Clarence

Clarence, this is what Google gives me. Is it what you use or is there a "Class C"?

http://www.ppgaerospace.com/Products/Sealants/Windshield-and-Canopy/PR-1425-Class-B-Windshield-and-Canopoy-Sealant.aspx

I would do a test piece with the PR 1425 Clarence and the MM recommends. The issue is when you remove the glass and the last guy PRC'd the snot out of the window. I have used silicone for the majority of the install. However use a thin bead of PR on the exterior of the window. Looks slick. 

Unless your pressurized, then you get to spend 3 days removing sealant around cockpit windows on a citation. Ugh.

-Matt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

CS3330 is low adhesion removable access door sealant.  You don't want that holding your windows in 

Byron, yeah I noticed that when I checked the tech sheet. 

CS 3330 is what a senior MSC uses and recommended! 

" Section 56-00-00, Windows, calls for PR-1403-G-B2.  Section 28-10-00 Fuel Tanks calls for PR-1403-G-B2 on access panels. This number crosses over to Flame Master CS3330-B2."

If you have the SWTA window conversion the STC calls for a specific sealent.  Stay with the B2, it gives some extra time if things don't go as quickly as planned. Check the color of Flamemaster and PPG, most of the flamemaster I have saw is grey and the PPG is usually dark brown/black.  The mixer adaptor for a drill is nice also if you need to mix several tubes, it's only $5 or so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I think the call out is also in SB 208 as well as newer maintenance manuals.

Clarence

Yes, I see that SB from 1989 does indeed call for PR 1403-G-B2

PR-1403-GB is a dichromate cured polysulphide is an access door sealant for use over a temperature range of -55∞C to +110∞C, with outstanding resistance to aircraft fuels and lubricating oils and resistance to degradation by phosphate ester type hydraulic oils.

It might seem that Mooney intends that windows be removable without fighting "permanent" sealant. 

9 hours ago, M20Doc said:

In all my research, thanks to all of you, there seems to be a distinction between the windshield which fits in a slot on top and sides with a cover across the bottom and the side windows which are drilled and have screws all around which permits squeezing the plexi to the outer skin. I could imagine that a different sealant might be called for for the different conditions. The side windows might be fine with the access panel stuff, the 1403; but the windshield might need the 1425.

Make sense?

9 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Get the sealant from Seal Pack.

Got a link? Ms. Google doesn't get me to a specific site asking for "Seal Pack aircraft sealants".

Aside: I wonder why Aircraft Spruce doesn't offer either the PPG 1403 or 1425 or the FlameMaster CS 3330? (In my limited experience, SkyGeek offers a lot of stuff that they do not actually stock and delivery can be iffy.)

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

http://www.sealpakcoinc.com/

SEALPAK CO INC

(316) 942-6211

2614 S Hoover Rd Wichita, Kansas   672151299 , USA

This web site doesn't seem to be working. I hope they are still in business, they were great to work with. I bought stuff from them about a year ago.

Here's a Seal-Pac company (in Texas) who has loctite and other sealants. Do you know what the specific product was that you used?

http://sealpac.com/products.html

3 hours ago, helitim said:

When we replaced my glass last year, I used these guys for my sealant.  They had the best price I could find and I had the stuff in 2 days.  Very easy to deal with.  Just call direct and tell them what you need.  

http://www.altamontaviation.com

Thanks, do you what sealant you used? (I'm in NC, I'm sure there are distributors closer than CA.)

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Ya looks good!

Does that 3330 stuff smell like dog poop like PRC does :-)

Used to love sealing Boeing tanks from inside the wing smelling dog poop all day

Well, it does stink, but not that bad. (Probably worse inside a tank!)

About 50 years ago I worked in a tannery in Whitehall MI. Visitors always asked how we could stand the smell in the hide house. Our stock response: smells like money to me.

I would have said, "what smell?"    :-)

I got behind a semi once coming down I15 from SLC and it was a hog truck and STINK? OH Lordy!

I called him on the CB  (yes way back then) and asked how he could stand the smell and he too said. "son, that's dollar bills back there:.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...