Bose X Failure

carqwik

My Bose X headset died...it is the one with the Lemo plug.  Worked on the prior flight...and didn't work at all yesterday.  Thought it might have been the fact that the plane just came out of annual yesterday (Top Gun)...but thankfully had a second headset to use with standard plugs to get the plane home. 

Tested the headset on another plane today ...still dead. 

Any ideas how a headset can just die?  Guess I need to send it to Bose but want to fish for ideas to see if others have seen this problem...and how they fixed it.

8 minutes ago, 201er said:

This may seem a bit too obvious but in case you didn't try... change the batteries?

The LEMO plug version does not use batteries but is powered from the panel connector.

Perhaps the headset got man-handled during annual: The connector pins are small and somewhat fragile.  Look closely at the six gold-plated pins for mechanical damage.  

Yes, I have seen one pair of my Bose X headsets fail and never knew the cause.  Bose replaced the cord set which includes the microphone, cord and the in-line module.  About $200. 

Bose just did mine for $158. New mic, comm cord, ear pieces, and head pad!! They won't sell just the cable/connector. 

This was after an avionics tech sat on the cord as it was plugged in. It broke the plastic Leno plug. I have gotten in the habit of unplugging them now. 

Overall not not a bad deal, just frustrating when there is a human element evolved with failures. 

-Matt

19 hours ago, carqwik said:

My Bose X headset died...it is the one with the Lemo plug.  Worked on the prior flight...and didn't work at all yesterday.  Thought it might have been the fact that the plane just came out of annual yesterday (Top Gun)...but thankfully had a second headset to use with standard plugs to get the plane home. 

Tested the headset on another plane today ...still dead. 

Any ideas how a headset can just die?  Guess I need to send it to Bose but want to fish for ideas to see if others have seen this problem...and how they fixed it.

Is it just the ANR simply failing to power up, or has it lost all functionality? If continuity has been verified and you're sure the head set has malfunctioned, I would send it back to Bose. They basically have a flat rate IRAN program. I believe it was $178 which included return shipping.   I have 3 X's and an A20. Both of the oldest X's have gone through the program. One for continuity and transmission issues and one for a broken frame and mike boom. Each time they have come back to clean and in good working order with fresh ear cup and boom covers as well as sheepskin head pad. Turnaround was well under 2 weeks, 

Sending it to Bose as we speak...$225 flat rate charge.  Headset has no functionality...in my plane and in a Mustang2 (not mine).

Thought about just ordering the power cord (good tip...didn't know they could be bought separately)...but sending it back to Bose - although more expensive - just in case that's not where the problem might be.  Bose will also replace the ear cups too which are starting to wear so...

Only bad news is that Bose says it will be 3-4 week turnaround...ugh.

• Like 1

Next time you guys need help with a headset repair or failure, you call me. If I can't fix it better, for cheaper then it's not worth fixing. I don't care what maker, I carry almost all their parts, and fix their busted stuff all day.

512-400-2937

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bose sells splitters... 

Aviation mic & phone to Lemo I believe.  Around $70.

I know I have a Lemo to Avaition Jacks splitter on a few A20's in our hangar. I guess it might be a sales gimic not to sell aviation to Lemo.  (Ie. Just buy a new headset. )

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

The reason for my question is that David Clark does not sell a H10-30X (big ear-cups) derivative with a lemo plug.

I assume you mean a H10-13X as I don't believe they make a 30x.

If so, send them to me and I will remove the power box and cable and replace it with a lemo connection. $95

Squawk Shoppe LLC
1320 Cabelas Dr.
Unit 1333
Buda, Tx 78610
512-400-2937

Otherwise I sell the adapters too: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com/products/aviation-headset-adapter-ga-to-lemo-bose
But you don't get the benefit of losing the power box in line.

29 minutes ago, FlyingSchmidt said:

I assume you mean a H10-13X as I don't believe they make a 30x.

If so, send them to me and I will remove the power box and cable and replace it with a lemo connection. $95

Squawk Shoppe LLC
1320 Cabelas Dr.
Unit 1333
Buda, Tx 78610
512-400-2937

Otherwise I sell the adapters too: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com/products/aviation-headset-adapter-ga-to-lemo-bose
But you don't get the benefit of losing the power box in line.

You are correct I should have indicated H10-13X.  I no longer have any DC headsets, so I would need to purchase that as well.  Can you provide an attractive package price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

You are correct I should have indicated H10-13X.  I no longer have any DC headsets, so I would need to purchase that as well.  Can you provide an attractive package price?

Yep, go pick out an Arcus. When you're selecting your options (colors, boom, etc.), there will be one called "Connector / Plugs", choose Lemo Panel 6Pin. Then just go through and pick everything else you want and done. :)  Don't forget the new fancy code: MOONEYSPACEMEMBER.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread.  I currently have 3 Bose headsets, two X's and an A20.  I have been impressed with the performance of all of them, but there robustness leaves a great deal to be desired. the A20s are barely 3 years old and never leave my hangared aircraft.  The wires are shorting in such a way that there is no reception or  transmission possible.  The X's have failed similarly in the past. I'd love to learn of other's experiences.  As much as I love the design, I think a $1000 headset should be more robust.

Edited by Shadrach

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Reviving an old thread.  I currently have 3 Bose headsets, to X's and an A20.  I have been impressed with the performance of all of them, but there robustness leaves a great deal to be desired. the A20s are barely 3 years old and never leave my hangared aircraft.  The wires are shorting in such a way that there is no reception or  transmission possible.  The X's have failed similarly in the past. I'd love to learn of other's experiences.  As much as I love the design, I think a $1000 headset should be more robust.

I'm surprised.  I have flown with the same A20s for the past 5 years.  These are my "work" headset (military). They have been around the world multiple times, in and out of baggage, in hot (120 degree heat) in the cold (-10 degrees) along with blowing dust and sand.  They are never left in a plane but always stuffed into my flight bag, I am honestly not very careful with them.  I have 3 additional  A20s in my Mooney but they are only 18 months old.  I have not had issues with any of them.

I have just started getting a repeat issue with my Bose X.  Everything is fine until decent.  When I start down a weird LOUD whistle like hum of intermittent noise level begins.  If I power down and power up it is still there.  Next flight they are fine.  Any ideas on that?

Weird.

On 12/1/2015 at 7:58 AM, Glenn said:

I currently have Bose A20s utilizing a lemo plug.  I really miss my old David Clarks.  Is there a way to fit a lemo plug to an H10-30X or its equivalent? 

Fwiw (which isn't a lot) I have a pair of a20s and a pair of DC one x and the one x are going back, I prefer the Bose. I have an old h10-30 with a headsets inc anr kit that I think is on par with the Bose.

I have a pair of squawk shoppe anrs that I got for Christmas that are complete garbage. The guy pimps his stuff on poa

Well now I see this thread is 2.5 yrs old. Oh well.

I have two BoseA20 with lemo plugs,bought them just when they came out to replace the X. Never a problem yet, changed the ear seals, wind screen etc every 3 yrs or so from aircraft spruce. Still waiting for the halos, I'm on his list, he said around September 

Maybe it me then, but the failure mode for mine always starts the same way: scratch intermittent short that triggers the intercom. My wires are coiled and stowed under the ide panel. I can make the problem occur by pushing my knee against the wire. I too prefer the Bose to the David Clarks, but my David Clarcks are nearly twice as old as my oldest set of Bose and have never failed.