Powder Coated Yokes

Hey guys, and ladies.

Just a quick shout out to Cherry Hill Aviation at Seymour, IN (KSER). They did a GREAT job in prepping and power coating both of my yokes on my F. They can powder coat in any color or texture you want. From high gloss, to satin, to wrinkled finish. We have the high gloss on the main yoke and wrinkled finish on the top plates where the PTT switches are to avoid any sun glare.  www.cherryhillaviatoin.com

Price was very reasonable (to me). Price may vary dependent on how much wiring they have to deal with for removal and reinstall. I will say..it was A FRACTION of going to leather.

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_20151111_130538_730.jpg

IMG951401_1.jpg

• Like 4

This looks great.  My 201 yokes were disgusting (gobs of paint coming off in my hand every time I flew), and I wound up paying 0.6 amu for leather b/c I couldn't find a place that would powdercoat much cheaper than that - consider posting what you paid- it would likely drum up some business for them from CBs like me.  

6 hours ago, DXB said:

This looks great.  My 201 yokes were disgusting (gobs of paint coming off in my hand every time I flew), and I wound up paying 0.6 amu for leather b/c I couldn't find a place that would powdercoat much cheaper than that - consider posting what you paid- it would likely drum up some business for them from CBs like me.  

Buy yourself a powder coating kit from Eastwood Company, $100.00 on sale with lots of colours to choose from.  Then you need an old oven in the garage.

Clarence

Price will vary depending on labor to remove all the wiring and how long it takes to remove old paint/prep.

I dont have my bill yet (still in annual), but he quoted me $100 for both. Again...your quote may vary.

Can go gloss, or satin, or wrinkle finish and many many colors to choose from.

• Like 1

I've always heard don't powder coat in an oven you cook in, it ruins it for later cooking. No idea why . . .

took my towbar and tie down rings into town, paid to have them powder coated. Towbar and tail ring burgundy, wing tie down white; seems it was ~$50 for all.

if your FBO will remove, powder coat and reinstall your yokes for $100, jump on it!

Most powder coating is done at what I'm told 375-400 degrees.

At that temp, it won't hurt that big cast piece. I would make sure they have a means to control tempature. 

Now on the other hand, O-200 Continental valve seats start working loose at 525 degrees. It's not much over that where the head expands and the seat is lost. 

-Matt

• Like 1

I was told they bake it for only a few minutes from 285 to 325 depending on the part. And yes the oven is only used for power coating since they need to put some hooks on the top the the oven the hang the parts.

They preheat the oven and quickly put the parts in and immediately can see the powder start to melt down. Like I said its only a couple minutes they say.

5 hours ago, flyingvee201 said:

Price will vary depending on labor to remove all the wiring and how long it takes to remove old paint/prep.

I dont have my bill yet (still in annual), but he quoted me $100 for both. Again...your quote may vary.

I found a local vendor in Kansas City that only does powder coating. They turned out awesome! I would highly recommend them. They charged me $95 for both which I thought was reasonable.

• Like 1

I powder coated my vintage yokes 5 or 6 years ago.  The plastic was peeling and cracked, especially on the pilot's side.  I was surprised how easily it came off.  The local trophy shop cut a couple new logo plates for only $20.  I was surprised at how cold the yoke was, even in winterless NORCAL.  I can't imagine what they'd feel like in a real winter.  Please excuse my CB leather solution, but it's comfortable.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I think your leatherwork looks great 47U! Sometimes less is more and I think it's perfect!

I was playing with mine while watching the World Cup and came up with these. I was debating between powder coating or leather. Had some Spinneybeck leather left over from when I did the interior so decided to use it for the yokes. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 47U said:

I powder coated my vintage yokes 5 or 6 years ago.  The plastic was peeling and cracked, especially on the pilot's side.  I was surprised how easily it came off.  The local trophy shop cut a couple new logo plates for only $20.  I was surprised at how cold the yoke was, even in winterless NORCAL.  I can't imagine what they'd feel like in a real winter.  Please excuse my CB leather solution, but it's comfortable.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In Alabama's mild winters, I still fly with the same solution I used in WV's not-so-mild winters:  I wear gloves. I'm just not ready to pay what the shops want to cover them, and I have some appendages (and a yoke clock) that make it too difficult to do myself.

image.jpg

23 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Has anyone powder coated an older yoke? My avionics shop talked me out of doing it while they had them off for a new panel, something to the effect that the high temp of the oven might harm the yoke material... I'm skeptical but...

Yep, I did this on my former F model. Cost was $40 for the pair, I removed and reinstalled. After I re-did the interior, the yokes really needed to be done, as they really stood out with a few chips and the rest of the interior was beautiful.

http://mooneyspace.com/profile/11242-mike_elliott/?tab=node_gallery_gallery

On 11/13/2015, 2:53:12, flyingvee201 said:

Sounds downright reasonable.  My yokes are purty now too, but I coulda saved some serious gas money :angry:

On 11/14/2015, 7:18:00, PTK said:

I think your leatherwork looks great 47U! Sometimes less is more and I think it's perfect!

I was playing with mine while watching the World Cup and came up with these. I was debating between powder coating or leather. Had some Spinneybeck leather left over from when I did the interior so decided to use it for the yokes. 

image.png

Wow that looks great! 

19 hours ago, HRM said:

How involved is the yoke R&R? Is it something the hangar elves can handle (no pun intended)?

easily done, mine were a bit more complicated than the average vintage Mooney as I had a PTT, and the STEC AP controls on the pilot yoke which had to be desoldered and resoldered when put back on.