Need a Cap-Hub?Dust-Cap?

I just bought two from Wentworth.  It appears that the carter pin head must be squeezed so it will fit further into the nut.  If installed as is, the head sticks out too far and will cut a grove into the cap. Also if the tail of pin is not bent enough it will also cut a grove.  This will lead to the crack.

I found the problem when pushing the plane back after the annual.  I heard a clicking sound coming from the wheels.  Investigation found the carter pins scrapping on both wheels.

By the way both caps from Wentworth had the groves from the carter pin in them.  Still serviceable but highlights the problem with the carter pins.

Edited by Floyd

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rob Brown said:

PM sent to Alan.  Wentworth does not have any more that are serviceable so hopefully Alan can come through!

Hi Rob. Hope all is well. Is your bird out of annual yet?

Yves

10 hours ago, yvesg said:

Hi Rob. Hope all is well. Is your bird out of annual yet?

Yves

Hello Yves:  Hopefully this week.  Annuals always seem to take longer than planned.  It has been in the hanger for 5 weeks as of today. Which around here represents a good part of the warm weather flying season!

On 6/23/2020 at 7:02 AM, Rob Brown said:

Hello Yves:  Hopefully this week.  Annuals always seem to take longer than planned.  It has been in the hanger for 5 weeks as of today. Which around here represents a good part of the warm weather flying season!

This is why I always have my annual Feb 1st regardless of the date the previous annual expires. Happy flying!

Yves