Need a Cap-Hub?Dust-Cap?

I need a part for main gear on 1966 M20E. 

It's seems to be called a dust-cap or cap-hub, the cup that covers the wheel nut. It has 3 flanges for attachment to the wheel and a tapped hole in the center for the attachment of the "hub cap".

(I am at home and the parts manual is at the airport, I'll check the part number tomorrow if necessary.)

I've sent an email to Lasar tonight, looked on Ebay, and checked Aircraft Spruce. Anyone have other suggestions?

IMG_20151110_183346087[1].jpg

48 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

An improperly installed cotter pin in the axle nut will do a fine job of milling the inside of the cap.  If not caught in time it cuts it in half.

Clarence

Clarence, the inside of the cup is scored by the cotter pin. Cast aluminum? I do have a good friend who owns a welding and fabricating business. He can weld it I'm sure. 

I don't think welding cast alum would work.  Now someone with a lathe and milling machine could knock that out in no time.    I can't remember if I saw that in a Cleavland wheel catalog or LASAR website. Took a quick scan through the wheel catalog and did not see it.  If the wheel would support it you could go to the later hub caps that are held on with 3 screws to the tire rim.

If 158-00300 is the right part, this site has is @ $39.84 (They show Cleveland list price as $58.59 which is about what Aircraft Spruce wants.)

http://www.airpowerinc.com/productcart/pc/prodparts.asp?catid=1&subcat=177&mfgid=CL&prodid=403190

Is this the right part #?

I think I ended up using a PN  158-02.  I ended up with a couple of caps (I don't remember the PNs)  that would not fit, so there must be some revisions that have been made over the years.  I will defer to the experts for the version history lessons....

I too had the exact same thing. Luckily I caught it before it was cut in half. Running without my wheel covers at the moment because I was afraid the added stress would finish off the nut cover. Called Lasar (twice) and they said they would look but never got back with me. Assume that means they don't have one. Never thought about Wentworth.

BTW I ordered the one Spruce handles and it was the larger one. Don't recall the number.

Thanks guys! I have not heard from Lasar and I haven't had time to check with my welder. I've sent a note to clh to buy his extra one if it is the right one. BTW, the other wheel has been scored just as Clarence pointed out though not to failure. It's a tight fit to the nut and cotter and I will be checking behind Lynn as we finish up annual!

27 minutes ago, BDPetersen said:

There also is a listing on eBay for two by gatesflyingcircus (316), but I can't tell if it is the correct one.

i don't know if the one mentioned above will fit, but these will not. (just in case you want to try, I have one for you cheap)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Aircraft-Cleveland-Hub-Caps-Piper-Cessna-/400997796529?hash=item5d5d54cab1:g:Y0QAAOSw9N1VtmLf&vxp=mtr

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rakesb said:

Bob, I had one of these replaced on my 66C by an A&P at Camdenton, MO (KOZS). If you're still looking, I can try to contact him for you and ask where he found it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I got one from clh, a fellow MSer, who had bought 2 and had one left over. I warned the young fellow who repacked the wheel bearings this year to watch out for the cotter key clearance.

• 4 years later...

Hi. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but it is right on topic. Just found out that the wheel bearing dust cap on our 1964 M20E is missing.  So I have started the search for a new one.  Aircraft Spruce wants $350! But is out of stock anyway (not that I would pay that).  The part # is Cleveland 158-01000. Does anyone happen to have a spare or know of a possible source?  Thanks in advance.

There was a spacer installed on mine that is not in the parts manual or Cleveland manual. If it’s installed it will not allow the nut to seat properly thus wearing on the cap. I removed the cap and no issues. I have one spare that is damaged. I’ll try and a buddy lay a new bead then dermal the rest. Funny thing is my spare set of wheels we have had the same space stack with the same worn covers. The spacers were machined by a factory and not a hack job. 
just some thoughts,

-Matt

Congrats on your first posts, Rob...

I know a place that has some used Mooney parts...

See if @Alan Fox has any in his collection (hub cap)

Alan has many Mooney parts for Mooneys in need...

He also has some awesome pre-flowned avionics in the event your new 2U bird needs a panel upgrade...

Best regards,

-a-