Avionics shops in Florida

flyboy0681

I contacted my local shop to get an estimate for purchasing and installing a Garmin GDL-88 for ADS-B compliance and Flight Stream 210 to interface with the GTN-750.  I was floored to see the estimate come back at a few pennies under $9k. The price for the GDL with the current rebate is $3,700, with the Flight Stream at $995.

Does anybody have a reputable firm within the state that I should contact?

• 1 month later...
I have been very happy with Avionix at KPGD.  They have installed a Garmin 400w, Kt-74 and JPI 830 and have been great both in the install and customer support after.  Sarasota installed my Aspen and it was not the best experience.

Did you use the PGD location? Since I would probably go with them if I bought the Aspen, can you elaborate, PM me if you rather. Thx

On November 11, 2015 at 9:04 PM, flyboy0681 said:

ryoder said:
My coworker uses a guy on the east coast.  I can get you his info if you want another quote.  

Please get the name for me.

Crap I just saw this.  His name is Drew.  Tell him you were referred by a friend of Mike with the 182 at KZPH.

http://www.absoluteaviationllc.com

• Like 1

I dropped the plane off at Treasure Coast today for the GDL-88 and FlightStream installation. I was actually impressed with their operation, many aircraft being worked on in their hangar and a very large repair shop as well. The owner, Cathy, was extremely knowledgeable about all things Garmin. 

7 hours ago, co2bruce said:

Sarasota in Lantana FL has always treated me well. Garrett knows what he's doing

I had the GTN installed at their Lantana facility and would have preferred taking the Mooney there again, but they wanted over $3k more than everybody else.

• 2 weeks later...

This week we picked up the plane from Treasure Coast Avionics in Fort Pierce and they did a wonderful job installing the GDL-88 and Flight Stream 210. We paid exactly what was quoted (which was more than $3k less than other estimates we received) and the plane was ready a day early. All told they brought the project in at 12 hours (some estimates I received quoted as much as 40 hours). 

The integration of the GDL-88 with the GTN-750 is seamless and intuitive. Even better is the Flight Stream integration between the GTN and iPad, where it feeds my Garmin Pilot on the iPad and any changes made to the GTN are reflected on the iPad or vice versa.

All of this traffic awareness is new to me and I'm fascinated by its accuracy. For the first time ever I was able to eyeball the actual targets based upon their depiction on the display, resulting in a whole new dimension of flying - and safety. Those who have had TIS capability through their Mode S transponders have know this for years.

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Edited by flyboy0681
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
This week we picked up the plane from Treasure Coast Avionics in Fort Pierce and they did a wonderful job installing the GDL-88 and Flight Stream 210. We paid exactly what was quoted (which was more than $3k less than other estimates we received) and the plane was ready a day early. All told they brought the project in at 12 hours (some estimates I received quoted as much as 40 hours). 

The integration of the GDL-88 with the GTN-750 is seamless and intuitive. Even better is the Flight Stream integration between the GTN and iPad, where it feeds my Garmin Pilot on the iPad and any changes made to the GTN are reflected on the iPad or vice versa.

All of this traffic awareness is new to me and I'm fascinated by its accuracy. For the first time ever I was able to eyeball the actual targets based upon their depiction on the display, resulting in a whole new dimension of flying - and safety. Those who have had TIS capability through their Mode S transponders have know this for years.

IMG_1574.thumb.JPG.03137d0b74b6047b09cc918b632ab189.JPG

IMG_1574.thumb.JPG.36b0bca68de0532b3a6f1ab087f0add4.JPG

IMG_1571.thumb.JPG.b54f56539f27953a55e05bd95b09f6dc.JPG

IMG_1569.thumb.JPG.f7a49ed251c2bc4c886a3bae0e823e8a.JPG

How come you have no Target Trend data showing on the 750 screens? It is supported. It is showing up on the iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Marauder said: How come you have no Target Trend data showing on the 750 screens? It is supported. It is showing up on the iPad.

Haven't touched any of the settings yet.

Give us a PIREP when you do. I think you should be able to turn that on. I like that feature.

• 11 months later...
On 11/10/2015 at 9:34 PM, Raptor05121 said:

I hear good things about the guys at Leesburg

Alex, is the shop Central Florida Avionics?

Hoping to revive this thread a little.  Looking to install either a 430w or GTN 650 + transponder to get ads-b out  + Flightstream 210.  Looking for places in Florida mainly but Georgia is also doable.  Thanks to those of you who posted above.  Gives me a starting point..

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good experiences with Daytona Aircraft in Daytona Beach. In addition, I have a friend who has just utilized them for extensive work and avionics upgrades. He is happy with their work. Jake Clemens is their Dir of MX and is on this board. Give him a chance to earn your business.

On 12/23/2016 at 4:15 PM, Hector said:

Alex, is the shop Central Florida Avionics?

Hoping to revive this thread a little.  Looking to install either a 430w or GTN 650 + transponder to get ads-b out  + Flightstream 210.  Looking for places in Florida mainly but Georgia is also doable.  Thanks to those of you who posted above.  Gives me a starting point..

That sounds right. I went there to pick up a Comanche 260 and they were slammed full with ADS-B installs and I think were booked a solid month in advance

The only problem is with Jake's avatar showing a BE35 ;-)

He also has a good thread showing what a spalled cam looks like and the process for repair along with the owner who is a MS member.  Good insight to how their shop works.

I had a good experience with Tomlinson Avionics  in Fort Myers (Page Field/KFMY). Ralph Tomlinson and his team installed a GTN 750, a Flightstream 210 and a GTX345 Transponder for me. Also, they installed a RAM-Mount for my Garmin 660 GPS at the location of the old Narco CDI, which had been suggested by them and  is really really  great. They removed a Narco MK12 COM/NAV and a Garmin 330ES Transponder as a trade in.

In February they will install the new Aspen STC that allows traffic and weather from the GTX345 also on the Aspen.

I searched for a long time for a good shop and Ralph made the best impression. The final bill was exactly in accordance with the estimate and the plane had been ready on time. The plane was all the time stored in their hangar and did not sit outside. (This was very important for me and could not be guaranteed by several other shops).

I am very happy with the install. 

Stefan

Mooney-modern-Panel-IMG_4265.JPG

• Like 1