Good Day to All,

i just wanted to drop a note. I brought the Mooney down to Long Island! No, not the one in NY, the one down South.

Good flight, except for a persistent 20kt headwind, regardless of altitude. Excellent people down here, I can say it's really nice to be here. The North end of the island came thru the hurricane relatively unscathed, the Southern end, not so much. 

The airports at Deadman's Cay and Stella Maris are operating, get a friend and come ooooon doooooown!!!

And yeah, gas is expensive, so don't even ask....

Oldn0tded

Its an attitude, not a screen name!!

I've been to treasure cay and Governors harbor. Both great places! The fee's aren't bad at all. I think it was around $75ish in fee's for my wife in I. If you plan for around $100 you'll be happy. I think it was much easier than flying in Mexico. 

Also the place you stay depends on what you want to do. Treasure Cay and Governors harbor are the out islands so they aren't very populated, which is nice if you just want to enjoy the beach. 

Route, I went to KFPR BLUFI ZFP GRREG MYEM for the route. I let ATC know that I didn't want to get vectored out to sea, cause they will, and they don't care as much as we as pilots do. 

This might help.....https://www.backcountrypilot.org/community/forum/latest/tr-x-country-maine-bahamas-nashville-warning-long-17841

• Like 1

Cabana boy, I can second PiperPainter, budget $100, and you won't be dissapointed. The hardest thing for me has been stumbling thru the Eapis website.  It can be "fussy", not impossible, but ...

My favorite jumping off point is KFPR, my favorite spots are Eluthera and Long Island. I flew out here commercially for several years back in the nineties, and learned it's ALMOST always VFR, and if it's not, in 20 minutes it will be (assuming you're not silly enough to launch into a hurricane or impending hurricane)

Sooooo, for routes, I prefer going VFR and staying within gliding distance of the islands. The first 60 or so miles are really the only time you're over open water. 

IFR out here is kinda cumbersome and NOT what we get in the states. For me, VFR works best. 

Hope this helps,

Oldnotdead

• Like 1

Stella Maris is pretty nice.  They have an excellent new year's celebration.  Bring bug spray though, the sand fleas come out in the evening even at the restaurant.  That is the only thing I can think of about the place that isn't perfect.

TC is wonderful, an absolutely stunning beach.  It was a lot more fun 40 years ago before all the houses went up, but it is still beautiful.  Go to Florence's for the cinnamon rolls and say hi to Florence.  Nice airport, bring ropes to tie down but they have steel cable bolted to the ground to tie to.  Ferry across to Green Turtle for great diving with one of the islands most endearing characters, Brendal Stevens.  There is a very beautiful beach out there to, on the ocean side, just not well known and you will pick up the occasional small tar ball in the sand.  Not so on TC.  No bugs on TC or Green Turtle.

Best bonefishing for my money is either Bimini or Berry Islands.  Bimini is back from several years of condo construction and doing well.  The sand flats at the Berry's are world class.  Find Percy, he is the best guide.

A well kept secret for bonefishermen is Sandy Point.  Fishing there can be weather dependent because it can be exposed to winds, but the guides are among the best on the islands and have access to hundreds of miles of flats, including More's Island on a good day.  Fly to Marsh Harbour and taxi to Sandy Point, or if you are really adventurous land at Sandy Point.  Bring rope and chocks because you will tie up in the brush.  Best resort is Oeisha's.  Don't expect princely accommodations, just good fishing and great people.