help with radios (headset volume is low)

first post on this forum, and I need help.  I just recently purchased a '66 mooney c model, and it is awesome.  anyway, it has a garmin 430 and king kx155 radios.  a king kma-24 audio panel along with a 4 spot intercom completes the setup.

the volume in the headset is very low.  It doesn't matter which radios or headsets I use, I can barely hear radio traffic.  I've even tried using the jacks in the rear sets.  On the other hand, the intercom works fine.  It has a separate volume control, and I can blow my eardrums out with it.

There is a speaker located in the roof panel, and it is also very loud.  When I select it with the KMA24, I can adjust the volume to the point where it's screaming at you.  I've played with comm1 and comm2 volumes on the panel, and I've maxed out the volumes on the radios, but it never gets very loud through the headsets. 

Does it sound like bad wiring or possible problem with the KMA-24? 

thanks in advance.

Based on my experiences, your low volume issue appears to be at a common point associated with the audio panel.  If you have someone that could loan you there working panel, you could insert it in place of yours for a test.  If the problem still exists, then you have some wiring problems. 

I would be happy to provide a wiring schematic/pin out for to you for your KMA-24 auido panel.  I am traveling at this time, but back home Sunday and I will forward it to you then.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Robert,

Call Nick Porcell at Lowe Aviation, (478) 788-3491 (Middle Georgia Regional).  Excellent avionics shop and first-class people!!!

I fly into PXE often (twice a month) and would love to see your Mooney!!!

Best regards,

Jeff

Quote: jkb458

Hey Robert,

Call Nick Porcell at Lowe Aviation, (478) 788-3491 (Middle Georgia Regional).  Excellent avionics shop and first-class people!!!

Best regards,

Jeff

Jeff,

We've fiddled with it a bit, and we think it's the panel.  Unfortunately, bench testing it costs nearly as much as a used one.  I'm tempted to buy a used King panel and switch it. 

Anyway, give me a shout the next time you fly down to the metropolis of Perry, GA.  I've got the mooney in an open T hangar until a closed hangar becomes available.

Rob

• 11 months later...

Quote: jkb458

Hey Robert,

Best regards,

Jeff

• 8 years later...

I thought I'd update this 4643 posts later.  :lol:  Just an FYI for anyone else that may come across this thread.  It turned out to be a bad capacitor in the KMA24 itself.  It was repaired without too much hassle and worked great until I sold it for my PMA450.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1