Announcement Soon!

Mcstealth

Correct, early ones were not. 

Early G1000 182's were not either. Cessna provide the upgrade path. Mooney has not done so yet. 

Early 182's that didn't comply with the upgrade are now faced with a $60k problem. We are all hoping Mooney doesn't leave thoses with really nice airplanes stranded. 

Same goes with other systems and Garmin products. Some systems such as Thales and Rockwell Collins. Garmin has not yet released the enablement protocols to enable the 650 and 750 waas units to talk with the PFD's etc. For these systems it will be a software update that can fix the waas, unlike that of the G1000 that will require a few hardware changes. 

-Matt

• Like 1

I think I know what the announcement is...  well.. it seems less than major... 

Basically, they are starting a used mooney brokerage... a friend of mine lives in Kerrville and said he saw a big article in the news paper that was basically a big puff piece talking about how Mooney will sell used planes now as "mooney certified used" using a 27point inspection system and offering a 30 day warranty.      Sounds like a fancy way of saying they are struggling to make money selling new aircraft, so they have to go into used brokerage.    Meanwhile, cirrus is expanding rapidly... I think they are eating up market share.. Cirrus is building a big new facility here at KTYS and hiring like crazy in Duluth..

I think I know what the announcement is...  well.. it seems less than major... 

Basically, they are starting a used mooney brokerage... a friend of mine lives in Kerrville and said he saw a big article in the news paper that was basically a big puff piece talking about how Mooney will sell used planes now as "mooney certified used" using a 27point inspection system and offering a 30 day warranty.      Sounds like a fancy way of saying they are struggling to make money selling new aircraft, so they have to go into used brokerage.    Meanwhile, cirrus is expanding rapidly... I think they are eating up market share.. Cirrus is building a big new facility here at KTYS and hiring like crazy in Duluth..

thats old news...

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/October/13/Mooney-offers-certified-used-program

I can't see where the business plan by Mr Chen was so shallow that they have to resort to used sales to stay afloat. That just doesn't seem reasonable when they are looking at supplying China with airplanes. We have to think outside the aluminum and steel tube box. Given that they went composite with the new airplane I still think the picture of the computer drawn "smooth" exterior Mooney they showed at the Paso Robles flyin speaks more to the future of Mooney than anything else. Like I said there, once you have the exterior data points the fill in structure is easy. That, coupled with the smile I got (but no comment) when I said it looked like someone is going after a glass airplane company was telling in my book.

Also, being as a composite airplane has a parts count way below and standard construction model and the lessening of the human error factor coupled to the lower parts count and better quality control of fewer parts makes me think a copostieMooney 4 pl is in the works.

They already have the engineering team and computer system and they have the exterior data points. They could go to 3D computer parts for a mock up real easy.

Time will tell.

Is it just me or - that does not seem like a very confident warranty offered by a factory backed used vehicle: 30 days OR 10 hours whichever comes first.  Seriously?  I spend 450k and the best confidence they have is that it won't have a problem worth backing for more than 10 hours?  I wouldn't bother paying a penny extra for that then any other used aircraft that I have vetted by a top Mooney mechanic - and I could self insure the 10hrs-30days on any money I pocket on negotiating a better price.

• Like 3

Seriously!!!

look this plane up...

it is not the advertised  310 hp, but they will add it for more $$$

and that warranty,,,,   hah,,   10 hours??   its in florida,,  the warranty would expire before I could fly it home to Belfair!!!

As a buyer I would prefer to deal with the owner. I can ask questions about the plane. When you deal with a broker who is this far removed from the seller than you have no idea of the history of the plane. You'll spend the next 20 years wondering why a particular bolt was replaced and playing the scenarios out in your head. At least with most dealers you can forward questions to the seller. To me that's worth more than the warranty.

But some people would prefer to buy used cars from car dealerships who buy their used cars at auction so I'm sure there could be a market.

-Robert

• Like 1

I think people are missing the point about the certified program. They're not trying to replace new-aircraft revenue with used aircraft revenue...that would obviously not work. They are trying to stimulate the after-market to get a general buzz and by doing this, try to get more people into a new plane.  It's worth a shot, anyway, and is a pretty low-risk attempt to keep things moving.  By having attractive, company-backed used planes out there, perhaps more of the owners of older planes will be encouraged to upgrade, which will allow owners of newer planes to think about upgrading as well. It may or may not work, but I think it's a valid strategy to try.

At Mooney Summit III the ceritified program was discussed

To even be considered for the certified program, the Mooney in question needs to have been serviced at MSC's and comply with certain maintenance items.  A plane can be brought up to certified standard if not always serviced by an MSC, but that can only be completed by an MSC.  It's actually a good way to get MSC's more business, keep the certified planes to a specific standard, and thus increase resale value or lower the loss of value on new airplanes purchased.  It's not a bad move.

But I do not think this is the announcement McStealth was inferring.  I'm still holding my breath . . .

-Seth

• Like 1

At Mooney Summit III the ceritified program was discussed

To even be considered for the certified program, the Mooney in question needs to have been serviced at MSC's and comply with certain maintenance items.  A plane can be brought up to certified standard if not always serviced by an MSC, but that can only be completed by an MSC.  It's actually a good way to get MSC's more business, keep the certified planes to a specific standard, and thus increase resale value or lower the loss of value on new airplanes purchased.  It's not a bad move.

But I do not think this is the announcement McStealth was inferring.  I'm still holding my breath . . .

-Seth

It might well be a stamp of quality to buy a factory certified Mooney.  But I find it a bit insulting that it is backed with such a trivial guarantee.  It would be better if they offered no guarantee.  Then we could think they forgot.  Its sort of like if you leave a big tip for a waiter then you are showing approval.  If you leave zero tip then it is not necessarily disapproval since it might mean you forgot.  The ultimate in insult would be to leave a 1 penny tip.  This guarantee is a show of lack of confidence in their own product at the level of a one penny tip - it is frankly embarrassing for them and I am surprised no one in the company noticed how silly it is.

It might well be a stamp of quality to buy a factory certified Mooney.  But I find it a bit insulting that it is backed with such a trivial guarantee.  It would be better if they offered no guarantee.  Then we could think they forgot.  Its sort of like if you leave a big tip for a waiter then you are showing approval.  If you leave zero tip then it is not necessarily disapproval since it might mean you forgot.  The ultimate in insult would be to leave a 1 penny tip.  This guarantee is a show of lack of confidence in their own product at the level of a one penny tip - it is frankly embarrassing for them and I am surprised no one in the company noticed how silly it is.

You know, not to go too much into thread creep, but within the first 10 flight hours of owning both my aircraft I did have failures that needed work, and this was after a prebuy.

The oil temp indicator failed on my 1967 F model at about 8 hours of flight time.  I had it sent out to be overhauled and reinstalled.

The brand new vacuum pump on my Missile was leaking oil as a gasket had a very small bubble imperfection.  That was repaired (gasket replaces) under warranty.  

However, that is two planes and both with a repair in less than 10 hours.  We always say put aside 10% of purchase prince for work/upgrades year 1.  I'm curious how many owners have had a repair issues within 10 flight hours of owning their birds.   I'd still like to see a 25 or 50 hour warranty, but maybe  the amount of time selected, 10 hours, does cover the first issue.

-Seth

You know, not to go too much into thread creep, but within the first 10 flight hours of owning both my aircraft I did have failures that needed work, and this was after a prebuy.

The oil temp indicator failed on my 1967 F model at about 8 hours of flight time.  I had it sent out to be overhauled and reinstalled.

The brand new vacuum pump on my Missile was leaking oil as a gasket had a very small bubble imperfection.  That was repaired (gasket replaces) under warranty.  

However, that is two planes and both with a repair in less than 10 hours.  We always say put aside 10% of purchase prince for work/upgrades year 1.  I'm curious how many owners have had a repair issues within 10 flight hours of owning their birds.   I'd still like to see a 25 or 50 hour warranty, but maybe  the amount of time selected, 10 hours, does cover the first issue.

-Seth

In my experience Cirrus has the most generous warranty program going.  I have a customer with fairly new but out of warranty SR22, who still gets amazing warranty support from the factory. They seem to plan on her buying another new Cirrus in future.

Clarence

I am sorry to say I have no updates. My sources have gone quiet for some reason.

grrrrrrrrrrr

df

I believe it is a conspiracy aimed at discrediting your fine reputation here on MooneySpace. My theory it is the anti-AOA, always land with full flaps, wet wings are better, Mooneys make for a great primary trainer, Garmin is the cat's meow group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

More fuel for the fire. 

Tonight in the restaurant were 10 Mooney shirts. I bereated them about how long it was taking for the press release and they said "what press release" with a smile. Now why are 10 Mooney guys in my restaurant, on a Tuesday night? I didn't get into it with them, or try to press for information, but I take it as a good sign.

more fuel for the fire.

df

• Like 1