Announcement Soon!

Mcstealth

A few months ago I posted that Mooney was going to make a big announcement. I know what the announcment is.  ✈️

No. Not a jet. :)

i don't know the full extent of the changes, just the major ones. Many have argued for different changes, myself included, but it is a start.

David

• Like 1

Oh Oh Oh I know I know (hand in the air)

They bought the tooling for the Twin Comanche :-)

No, they pressurized

No, it's an all composite "clean wing" Mooney ( something I postulated at the Paso Robles Flyin)

What no camera with 1000mm lens?

I did that with the first Smith Aerostar when it was built in Northridge CA. 

• Like 1

Why just Js forward  I'd like to have one too.:)

Funny enough- I first wrote long bodies forward...  :).

Frankly even J models probably don't make sense- getting the STC has to have a business case.  By the time you pay for the STC, get the work done, and redo the interior of the plane, cost has to be at least $15K.  I wouldn't want to assume much of an uptake on pre-J models, most of which sell for sub $60K.  Even the J/K models will be tough.  I suspect the factory would want the option for new aircraft, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the STC limited to Bravos forward.

Would be interesting to see the useful load hit.

BTW- I have no knowledge of the announcement, but I heard a rumor a while back that this conversion was in process before Mooney went into bankruptcy last time.  Mooney would be crazy not to offer this if it's reasonably feasible.  They're selling against Cirrus and soon will be selling against Pipistrel, both of which have pilot side doors.

Funny enough- I first wrote long bodies forward...  :).

Frankly even J models probably don't make sense- getting the STC has to have a business case.  By the time you pay for the STC, get the work done, and redo the interior of the plane, cost has to be at least $15K.  I wouldn't want to assume much of an uptake on pre-J models, most of which sell for sub $60K.  Even the J/K models will be tough.  I suspect the factory would want the option for new aircraft, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the STC limited to Bravos forward.

Would be interesting to see the useful load hit.

BTW- I have no knowledge of the announcement, but I heard a rumor a while back that this conversion was in process before Mooney went into bankruptcy last time.  Mooney would be crazy not to offer this if it's reasonably feasible.  They're selling against Cirrus and soon will be selling against Pipistrel, both of which have pilot side doors.

Aww the heck with it just give me a saws-all I'll take care of it myself.:D

well when the engineer speaks (not to mention an insider)... I'm nixing the retrofit idea- pilot side door on new aircraft???

Perhaps expansion of the certified used program to older aircraft- full on redo of older airplanes with new engines, interiors, panels, and paint. 

Disclaimer, I have no real knowledge of any new M20 developments... I'm just opining as an engineer that has been through the M20 on his own.  :)  In the structural engineering world, there is a saying that "holes are heavy."  In our case, adding another big hole that would cut through the structural steel tubing means a lot of modification has to be done to restore the lost strength and stiffness, not to mention the additional weight of the new parts involved with the door, wing walk, step, etc.  All of which takes big bites out of useful load... 

In my case, I wouldn't put it on my plane if it were free due to the weight issues that would turn my J into a 3-place vs. the 4-place it is currently.  But many other owners/buyers think differently than me.

• Like 2

Never heard it put that way before, but I must agree:  holes are very heavy. My convertible is 200+ lbs heavier than the hardtop version of the car, which have metal roofs instead of a couple layers of fabric. And I get a smaller gas tank, too.

Guess we'll all find out soon what Mooney is about to do.

You guys are all drooling, when you see the price tag of whatever it is, you'll be urinating. I have yet to see an airplane manufacturer announce anything I can afford.

I did see Mooney posted something about a refurbishment program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Considering the number of AMUs you spent on your panel, that's saying something.

All this talk about refurbishing or modifying old planes...they don't even make the kit for the J ram air removal anymore, let alone pilot side doors.

You don't need a kit for the ram air removal... the only thing you need is a flat piece of aluminum and some rivets to seal the hole in the induction box.  Any A&P can accomplish that step.

My MSC didn't apparently didn't think so, they never gave me that option, maybe they thought it was required?