EDM 830 install question

helitim

A ballpark quote from a well-respected MSC for my 830 installation was ~35 hours recently. I ended up doing it myself (under supervision of an A&P) in approximately 40 hours. It takes longer than you'd expect. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Approximately how long should it take to install an 830 in an M20J using just the basic functions that come with the kit?  I'm trying to get an idea of what the total cost should be before I go to get quotes.  

Thank you, Tim

My 830 took around 20 hours and the upgrade to the 900 was another 10 hours.

I wonder how much difference would be to go to 930 primary and get rid of all those old gauges...That is what I might do in a couple of years, my 700 is good but 830 or 930 would be much better.

I started off with an 830 and replaced it with a 900 and removed the original factory gauges.

b0522013a13efb0cc5433ecd2dce5089.jpg

Edited by Marauder

I started off with an 830 and replaced it with a 900 and removed the original factory gauges.

Does it fill the same hole?

What's the size compared to the 830?

Did you have to replace ALL the sensors, and wiring?

Does the fuel gauges use existing sensors?

Does it have user defined warning levels?

I assume it is hard wired, doesn't use the avionics buss?

How much did the upgrade cost IYDMMA.

Does it fill the same hole?

Yes

What's the size compared to the 830?

Same size as the 830

Did you have to replace ALL the sensors, and wiring?

No. You can re-use CHT, EGT, OAT and a few others (I think I documented what is new versus re-used in an old thread  

Does the fuel gauges use existing sensors?

You use the factory senders to get the fuel levels. The gauges are just as accurate as the fuel senders  

Does it have user defined warning levels?

I assume it is hard wired, doesn't use the avionics buss?

How much did the upgrade cost IYDMMA.

For these of your questions;

I think it was 601RX who said user warnings can be added but the factory POH limits are programmed into it. 

It is wired to the master switch. You need it to turn on so you can see the output of what would have been your factory gauges (oil pressure for one). 

It was another 10 hours of install to convert it over. The 900 units sell for around $3,600. 

• Like 1

I upgraded my 2 year old 830 to a 900 about 1-1/2 years ago.  I got a really good deal on the 900 at the time and then sold the 830 and original gauges.  I did the work under my IA's supervision so labor was minimal. After selling the 830 and old gauges I think the total to upgrade was under  $200.  The prices of the 830 and 900 have both changed quite a bit in the last 2 years and I could not come out this good if I upgraded now.  

Factory limits cannot be changed on the 900, but it has what Jpi calls alerts that you can set to any value your desire.  It primary voltage source is a wire ran back to the master relay.  It has a secondary input that can be wired to the avionics bus.

At Sun-In-Fun 2014 Sarasota was selling the 900 with 2 tank option for $2895. I have not saw them that cheap again.

Edited by N601RX
  • Like 2

I just replaced a 700 with a 900 and it took them 35 hours. I think the 830 would be a more difficult install. You have twice as many transducers under the cowl. You will also have to maintain those old factory gauges because they are required, adding to future expense.

Quote "You have twice as many transducers under the cowl. You will also have to maintain those old factory gauges because they are required, adding to future expense."

This is something I had not considered was the continued maintenance cost.  That in itself may be reason to go the 930 route in addition to cleaning up the panel.  

Thank you, Tim

You can also expect to recoop about $500 by selling the factory gauges you remove assuming they work correctly. When you factor that in with any future cost of having to maintain the factory gauges the cost becomes very similar.  The extra panel space is a bonus, especially on the older models.

• Like 2

Quote "You have twice as many transducers under the cowl. You will also have to maintain those old factory gauges because they are required, adding to future expense."

This is something I had not considered was the continued maintenance cost.  That in itself may be reason to go the 930 route in addition to cleaning up the panel.  

Thank you, Tim

I put in the 900 because the 930 was just too big to fit everything I wanted. It took about 35 hours with a virgin installation. This includes calibrating the fuel tanks. I had already had an instrument panel refabricated since I was installing other equipment so I flush mounted the JPI. I've installed about 50 or so 930's and the probes are virtually trouble free. I'm based at KRHV. Write me if you want to ask any questions.

If I could afford to have the two pieces (Aspens) below with a 900 I would really be a happy aviator :) 

• Like 2

If I could afford to have the two pieces (Aspens) below with a 900 I would really be a happy aviator  

Santa Claus knows who is naughty and who is nice. Hopefully you have been a nice boy this year and he will fill your panel up with goodies.

If you weren't a good boy, carrying around a lump of coal for a year is no fun -- ask me, I know.

• Like 1

Santa Claus knows who is naughty and who is nice. Hopefully you have been a nice boy this year and he will fill your panel up with goodies.

If you weren't a good boy, carrying around a lump of coal for a year is no fun -- ask me, I know.

Tell Santa he needs to get elves working on DFC90 with Aspen certified for Mooneys.

• Like 1

If you weren't a good boy, carrying around a lump of coal for a year is no fun -- ask me, I know. emoji56.png

Usually Mrs. Santa's wallet is only the start of something new, after it's empty Tom's (me) wallet has to open to finish it ..funny how it works that way :)  Maybe JPI will be having a big sale on the 900s or 930s around the first of the year. Selling my 830 and OEM parts I may slide into a new one without to big of a hit to the wallet.

Edited by TWinter

Maurauder,

Im at that decision point. I have an EDM 800 with all of the available probes working fine, and one factory instrument that's getting a little bonky. So.. I want to upgrade to either an 830 or a 900. Since i have all of the probes for the 800, the 830 I imagine would be no brainer, but the 900 replacing my factory ones might take a while. So for anyone who has done all three (upgrade a 700/800 to an 830 then getting a 900), would you recommend just skipping the 830 and going for the 900? How long did you wait until you made the jump from 830 to 900?

Im at that decision point. I have an EDM 800 with all of the available probes working fine, and one factory instrument that's getting a little bonky. So.. I want to upgrade to either an 830 or a 900. Since i have all of the probes for the 800, the 830 I imagine would be no brainer, but the 900 replacing my factory ones might take a while. So for anyone who has done all three (upgrade a 700/800 to an 830 then getting a 900), would you recommend just skipping the 830 and going for the 900? How long did you wait until you made the jump from 830 to 900?

I wish the 900s were priced where they are now. Back when I was looking at the 830s, they were close to $5k. I would look to go directly to a 900. You can leave some of your factory cluster gauges in place. I think you need to replace/remove (disconnect and cover) the fuel gauges but the rest can stay.

My reason for upgrading was that I didn't like the idea of an oil line coming into the cockpit to give me oil pressure. Never had an issue with it in 24 years, but knew you didn't need to have it run into the cockpit anymore. The 900 allows you to remove the oil pressure line or you can leave it in for a backup.

The 830s are solid and if you want a decent engine analyzer and don't care about factory replacements it is a great way to go. With the exception of fuel quantity in the tanks and the ammeter, I think they are identical in terms of function.

• Like 2

I wish the 900s were priced where they are now. Back when I was looking at the 830s, they were close to $5k. I would look to go directly to a 900. You can leave some of your factory cluster gauges in place. I think you need to replace/remove (disconnect and cover) the fuel gauges but the rest can stay.

My reason for upgrading was that I didn't like the idea of an oil line coming into the cockpit to give me oil pressure. Never had an issue with it in 24 years, but knew you didn't need to have it run into the cockpit anymore. The 900 allows you to remove the oil pressure line or you can leave it in for a backup.

The 830s are solid and if you want a decent engine analyzer and don't care about factory replacements it is a great way to go. With the exception of fuel quantity in the tanks and the ammeter, I think they are identical in terms of function.

Thanks M,  that helps a lot!  one thing I like about having my factory cluster and my edm 800, is that if one goes, no problem. But I could for sure use the panel space from eliminating redundant factory instruments. Im wondering if i kept just enough factory instruments to fly in case the 900 fails. (Im thinking RPM, MP, TIT, and a few others) or do you even need backup engine instruments if you have a 900? Which backup instruments did you (or anyone else who has a 900) keep when you installed your 900?

Thanks M,  that helps a lot!  one thing I like about having my factory cluster and my edm 800, is that if one goes, no problem. But I could for sure use the panel space from eliminating redundant factory instruments. Im wondering if i kept just enough factory instruments to fly in case the 900 fails. (Im thinking RPM, MP, TIT, and a few others) or do you even need backup engine instruments if you have a 900? Which backup instruments did you (or anyone else who has a 900) keep when you installed your 900?

You could fly with the allowable set of factory instruments as backups and be fine. I think you have no choice on the fuel gauges and I thought there was one other that is replaced. I opted for factory gauge removal just to clean up the panel.

I like redundancy but as long as they (JPI) can turn the instrument quickly on a repair, I'm probably in the same boat as trying to find someone to repair my factory gauges if they fail.

• Like 1