Avidyne IFD440 reviews?

ohdub

I replaced a 530W with an IFD540 and then just recently a 430W with an IFD440. The resolution is great, You'll like the pinch and zoom. The Avidyne units are much more intuitive that the 530/430.

If you have the space I would try to go for a 540 - the extra screen size makes a big difference, for not a lot more money. 

At some point everything fails. There's an advantage of a new box with new warranty as opposed to putting in a 15 year old box. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know if anyone has an IFD440 and what they think of it?

Is there any justification for spending an extra ~$5,000 over buying a used 430W?

Thanks!

I had my IFD540 installed last spring and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Avidyne's GPS. Latest touch-screen technology plus knobs for those turbulent flights or when you feel like it. Very intuitive, compared to my GNS430 and troule free updates via USB.

My GNS430 was for sale by my avionic tech, after he sent it for repair and upgrade to WAAS. I asked him about it and he sold it three weeks ago. Lately, with rebates, you can get an IFD440, which is plug-and play for your GNS430, for around $10k (US that is), around $2k more than a used GNS430W... Worth shopping around!

Edited by drapo

• 2 weeks later...

How do the Avidyne units compare to the Garmin GTN 650/750? I know the difference in pricing and instal, just wondering about features and most importantly, user interface. The 430/530 is a user interface disaster IMO.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Is the Avidyne 100% plug and play compatible?  Including autopilot/GPSS connections?

SInce GPSS is really an autopilot adapter interface because the older AP's can't understand the digital GPS signal I would expect it would be compatible. But don't know for certain.

I went ahead and bought an IFD440. I can't compare it to a GTN650 as I've never used one, but I do like it a lot more than my old GNS430. User interface is so much better, flight plan entry is a breeze, very easy to use.

On 11/17/2015, 11:30:50, rbridges said:

Is the Avidyne 100% plug and play compatible?  Including autopilot/GPSS connections?

I plugged a friend 540 directly into my 530AW slot and flight tested to GNV. Everything works including the autopilot and TCAS with no need to reprogram the 540. The autopilot intercepted the LPV approach with no overshoot on lateral and vertical guidance. I did not have WX on the 530AW so we could no test that function.

José 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2015, 10:04:48, bradp said:

Which transponder setups are STC'd for use with an Avidyne 440/540 for ADS-B compliance?  The Avidyne offering is a given, but I can't seem to find info on anything else.  

-B

Currently the AXP340 is ADS-B compliant with our IFD540/440. We are working on the ADS-B certification of the AXP322 remote transponder and expect it to have the certification in early 2016. The AXP322 can be installed today as a Mode S and have its ADS-B portion activated once approved.

• 1 month later...

After several weeks I finally got my plane back. I did not have a 530 so this was a complete install. I added IFD 540, MLB 100, APX340, FS-450, GI106A.

The only small problem was the original prop control knob  would interfere with the the large lower left knob on the 540, a blue knob from a Seneca works well. The 540 could not be raised higher due to the center post. 

I'll add a engine anylizer and back up IA next year. 

I have only taken a few very short flights due to weather but WOW this 540 is amazing. Can't wait to fly with it some more. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On November 17, 2015 at 8:25 AM, DaV8or said:

How do the Avidyne units compare to the Garmin GTN 650/750? I know the difference in pricing and instal, just wondering about features and most importantly, user interface. The 430/530 is a user interface disaster IMO.

The Avidyne units have built in Bluetooth, built in WiFi gateway and come with all features enabled.  The GTN's require a purchase for taws functionality, and have neither Bluetooth or wifi (unless you buy a flightstream and have that installed... More $$$).  

For the money, the 540/440 has more features.  And if you're replacing a 530 or 430, is a much cheaper install as it's completely plug and play.  

Differences...

Avidyne has a guy named Bennet that is eyes and ears for the company. He visits MooneySpace regularly giving the details about their product that are often difficult to understand without this level of support.  Screen name AviBennet... Avidyne is going to capitalize on the reduced installation costs by using the slide in replacement in the existing Benzi-Box.

Garmin has the Good Doctor sing their praises for free.  Great products.  Standard of the industry. Balance that with the giant football they have dropped called the G1000 update. The G430 lives on a decade after its introduction. The WAAS version is as capable as any other navigator.

BK who??? Anyone? Anyone?

The big things I see, that would make me want to pay the extra AMUs for a GTN...

1) The sheer number of people that are able to discuss challenges and solutions of how to handle such a complex system in your Mooney.  Great if you are not a pro-flyer...

2) Simplicity of maximizing value of the plane.  MSC maintained, full Garmin cockpit, newest paint scheme, and all the bells and whistles.... Great if you are not a CB...

3) I was so hoping the KSN770 was going to arrive and match up with my favorite all BK panel.  Touchscreen color panel on a great WAAS navigator.  Tossing out the ADF to make room for an all-in-one box.  If I go buy this, I will be alone on the dark side of the moon...

What I am seeing today...

Best regards,

-a-