Mooney pilot dies this morning departing Worcester MA

Bob_Belville

Guest Mike261

From the local news outlet

"It was very low. It went up a little bit and then spun over, almost upside down, and then just went straight down," said Dylon DeBoise, who works near the airport. 

thats all we have so far...not a great flying day here in the metro boston area.

the TV had nothing more either.

mike

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N243CW

If it was N243CW that was one of the first Bravos and was bought new by Charlie Woolacott . He was from Canada originally and would fly back and forth to Texas - I think he may have lived around Horseshoe Bay. He had a 231 before with "CW" (N231CW )as the tail number. He may have also been the first one to add FIKI TKS to a Bravo if I remember correctly. He used to come ever year to the MAPA  homecoming and was interesting to listen to in the M20M workshops that they had. He had a great knowledge of Mooneys. I think he may have sold the Bravo and bought a Mirage or Meridian around 2000 or so.

On 10/24/2015 at 12:27 PM, LANCECASPER said:

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N243CW

If it was N243CW that was one of the first Bravos and was bought new by Charlie Woolacott . He was from Canada originally and would fly back and forth to Texas - I think he may have lived around Horseshoe Bay. He had a 231 before with "CW" as the tail number. He may have also been the first one to add FIKI TKS to a Bravo if I remember correctly. He used to come ever year to the MAPA  homecoming and was interesting to listen to in the workshops that they had. He had a great knowledge of Mooneys. I think he may have sold the Bravo and bought a Mirage or Meridian around 2000 or so.

Here's something in Flying (click on this and move to page 8):

https://books.google.com/books?id=qZJRCyJPbvQC&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=charlie+woollacott+mooney+bravo&source=bl&ots=eDqRghu2vO&sig=sbTF3BtO30Z-UYJR-ivSPAyJV3k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAGoVChMIweTw39HbyAIVRukmCh0c4Qcl#v=onepage&q=charlie woolacott mooney bravo&f=false

Guest Mike261

from local tv...

Authorities say the pilot, Gary Weller, 66, from Putnam, Connecticut, was dead when officials arrived to the scene. Weller was the only one in the plane when it crashed.  

mike

I was thinking the same thing Don, looking at the plane the front isn't smashed in like you would think if he went nose down, non pilots giving reports are generally not reliable. We'll pray for his family. That's a few to many this year..sounds stupid but maybe he went out doing something he loved. God bless him.

I was thinking the same thing Don, looking at the plane the front isn't smashed in like you would think if he went nose down, non pilots giving reports are generally not reliable. We'll pray for his family. That's a few to many this year..sounds stupid but maybe he went out doing something he loved. God bless him.

But when a plane goes down in trees, a wing hitting could cause it to rotate and absorb the energy instead of the nose. It could be anything from medical to pilot seat slipping (I had this happen once on takeoff), unless they find something definitive in the autopsy, this may take a while.

Like most accidents on take off this looks like a power failure. The most stressful time on an engine is on take off. Even on turbine engines like the recent events of engines on fire on take off. With brakes on the runway I rev up the engine to max power, check the gauges and release the brakes if readings look good. It is also important to check the pitch trim setting before takeoff. If the trim is left on the last landing/flare setting the plane will pitch up suddenly on take off and may stall.  

José

• Like 1

I don't think it was Gary flying it. 

According to a couple of news articles, it was Gary. He was a very well respected dentist

Peter, any industry leads on his wife's contact info?

We know he had an office manager for 30 years with the same last name, but don't know the relationship. The Mooney Summit, Inc. has the Bill Gilliland foundation set up to aid if necessary and we would like to extend our offer of aid to her asynchronously. Right now is the time for family and close friends.

• Like 3

I'm shocked, he was a very meticulous guy and was quite serious about his flying. He was my dentist and as a fellow mooney pilot we used to always talk flying. This one hits too close to home. Mike, I have contact info. 

Edited by qwkone
removed email address
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...