New and looking at M20F or M20J - flight near DE?

skybum02

Greetings!  I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a pilot in the Air Force and have reached a point in my life and career where I can buy an airplane.    Mooneys have interested me for years.  I remember in high school looking at TAP magazine (before interest sales) and finding many a Mooney for sale and dreaming of owning my own plane...well I think that day is getting close.  While my day job is flying large airplanes, I do still fly GA airplanes about once a month.  I've mostly flown C172s, C182s, and gliders.  Right now I'm renting a C182RG at our Aero Club and I really enjoy the speed and range I can get with that airplane.  I'll be moving in the spring and there is no Aero Club at the next base and renting in the DC area doesn't seem too promising.  Also, I think I've found some prospective hangar space near my next base and near where I want to live.  See how the stars are aligning!

I've only flow in a Mooney once...an M20K probably back in the late 90s.  I'll need to dust off my old logbook to see when that was.  But I remember it being quite fun and FAST!

I was wondering if there are any Mooney pilots near Dover, DE (KDOV) who would be willing to show me a Mooney?  I know they are a bit different than other planes, so I don't want to buy an airplane and then hate it.  I'm mostly looking at M20F and M20J models but would love to see any Mooney :)  If you aren't near Dover, I can fly the C182 out and we can rendezvous at your airport.  I'll cover the expenses if we go flying in your Mooney!

Look forward to joining the brotherhood of Mooney pilots soon. 

Blue Skies,

Steve  

• Like 1

Greetings!  I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a pilot in the Air Force and have reached a point in my life and career where I can buy an airplane.    Mooneys have interested me for years.  I remember in high school looking at TAP magazine (before interest sales) and finding many a Mooney for sale and dreaming of owning my own plane...well I think that day is getting close.  While my day job is flying large airplanes, I do still fly GA airplanes about once a month.  I've mostly flown C172s, C182s, and gliders.  Right now I'm renting a C182RG at our Aero Club and I really enjoy the speed and range I can get with that airplane.  I'll be moving in the spring and there is no Aero Club at the next base and renting in the DC area doesn't seem too promising.  Also, I think I've found some prospective hangar space near my next base and near where I want to live.  See how the stars are aligning!

I've only flow in a Mooney once...an M20K probably back in the late 90s.  I'll need to dust off my old logbook to see when that was.  But I remember it being quite fun and FAST!

I was wondering if there are any Mooney pilots near Dover, DE (KDOV) who would be willing to show me a Mooney?  I know they are a bit different than other planes, so I don't want to buy an airplane and then hate it.  I'm mostly looking at M20F and M20J models but would love to see any Mooney  If you aren't near Dover, I can fly the C182 out and we can rendezvous at your airport.  I'll cover the expenses if we go flying in your Mooney!

Look forward to joining the brotherhood of Mooney pilots soon. 

Blue Skies,

Steve  

Steve - welcome to MooneySpace! There are a number of Mooney owners near Dover. I'm based at N57 and own a late model F and there is a 67 F here as well. Danb is based at KILG and flies a Bravo. You fly with him, it'll take a week to clean up the drool.

Drop me a PM if you are interested in checking out an F. We can figure out where to meet up. I go to KGED to hit the diner there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My C gets 182 speed on less than 172 fuel burn. An F should easily pass 182RG speed on 40% less fuel, a J will be faster and even more efficient. Hope things work out for you.

search for the New Jersey Mooney Pilots, they're only a short flight away, and are scattered from DC to NYC.

• Like 3

search for the New Jersey Mooney Pilots, they're only a short flight away, and are scattered from DC to NYC.

Looks like the NJMP was just up in KRND last Saturday....I just missed them...I took the C182RG KDOV-KOQN-KRDG on Sunday. 

I'll have to take a look and see when the next rendezvous is. 

I'm just over 100nm away at KHGR. I'd be happy to take you up in my 67 F sometime if you'd like to check out box stock manual gear F model.

It was a 67' M20F...J Bar and all...that got me excited when I saw it come up on Barnstormers...it sold in less than 10 days on the market! 

Steve - welcome to MooneySpace! There are a number of Mooney owners near Dover. I'm based at N57 and own a late model F and there is a 67 F here as well. Danb is based at KILG and flies a Bravo. You fly with him, it'll take a week to clean up the drool.

Drop me a PM if you are interested in checking out an F. We can figure out where to meet up. I go to KGED to hit the diner there.

N57...I was going to join their glider club!  Look for a PM from me soon :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Bryan..we met and spoke a few weeks ago, your plane is facing my hangar. If there is anything you need my hanger is well equipped, as I mentioned in our conversation, welcome aboard..very happy to see another Mooney on board.

Be safe,

Dan. N423PS

On November 6, 2015 at 6:21:34 PM, Danb said:

Skybum

this weekend you wanted to fly in Mooney, let me know if u still want to go

DB

I flew with Skybum last weekend. He is a C5 USAF pilot. Doesn't it just piss you off when you let someone fly your Mooney and they fly it better than you can? :)

I think he found his aircraft calling, hopefully he will find a Mooney to fit his budget.

• Like 2

Just now, Marauder said:

I flew with Skybum last weekend. He is a C5 USAF pilot. Doesn't it just piss you off when you let someone fly your Mooney and they fly it better than you can? :)

I think he found his aircraft calling, hopefully he will find a Mooney to fit his budget.

That's why I don't let anyone fly my plane. The odds are way too high.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

So did you make arrangements for him to return the favor and let you fly the C5

13 hours ago, Marauder said: I flew with Skybum last weekend. He is a C5 USAF pilot. Doesn't it just piss you off when you let someone fly your Mooney and they fly it better than you can?

So did you make arrangements for him to return the favor and let you fly the C5

That would have been fun. But we did fly by Dover and saw them.

23 hours ago, Marauder said:

Chris, thanks for the flight!  I think I had a huge smile the whole time.  Your Mooney had great handling qualities.  The hunt is on for my next ride. 

• Like 1