M20K MSC restored

jclemens

2 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Whats the price tag of that bad boy? 250k+?

Not even close.  You can own this plane for a lot less than that.  I have not added everything up yet to come up with an asking price, but it will be somewhere south of 175K.  There's no way you could reproduce it for the price.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jclemens said:

The intercooler took 8 weeks to get, just like they said it would.  Installation was about 40 hours.  My installation is not typical, it could be done in less time.  We are being a bit meticulous on this build.  You could add FIKI to a 231, if you so desire.  https://www.caviceprotection.com/products-services/ice-protection-systems/mooney-fiki

Not on a 231.  Been there, done that.  When I bought my system for the Rocket, I was told the FIKI could only be added to the 252 or newer Mooney's.  They said they did the flight testing for FIKI on the 252, but not the 231, so even though they are the same "K" designation, for purposes of FIKI the 231 doesn't qualify.  We ran into the same problem with the Northwoods Airlifeline Bonanza, and ended up selling a perfectly good 1982 to buy a 1986 model that met the year requirement for FIKI.  

Another consideration is CAV Aerospace will not install a FIKI system on any plane with an air frame mod either (thicker windshield, different cowls, any speed mods, any engine mods, etc).  They want a perfectly unmodified air frame.  We got around that (wanted Tornado Alley Turbo system) by purchasing an engine timed out air frame, having the FIKI icing system installed, and THEN getting the Tornado Alley engine upgrade.

Also, fwiw, I have had a TKS system ordered for my Lancair for 15 months and am still waiting on the panels.  If you want a system for an upgrade (in other words, you are not an OEM), you will likely wait a LONG TIME to get it.  This is the fourth system I have bought, so I'm not new to their company.

Tom Sullivan

Beautiful plane both aesthetically and mechanically. I just don't see how all those goodies fit under the hood. Reminds me of a 6-cylinder Mustang (not a P-51) that we shoe-horned a 429SCJ into back in the 70s. It ran great, but in those pre-platinum spark-plug days we had to pull the engine about every 25,000 miles to install new ones. Twas a bit tight.

Keep up the good work; I love seeing this sort of thing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On ‎2015‎-‎10‎-‎25 at 0:04 PM, cliffy said:

We have a 231 here at our airport that taxied into a cement drainage ditch with a new motor and prop BUT NO INSURANCE!

Literally not a single piece of the airplane is salvageable-wing, tail, gear, prop, fuselage, engine, etc, all bent. Older radios too

Definitely not a candidate for your kind of restoration that looks so good. 

Can you send me the N number

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made the first flight today.  This plane couldn't run or fly any better!  Still a few issues to iron out, but overall I am very happy with the flight. 

Congratulations. Hope you find a good buyer. Thank you as a fan of Mooney for resurrecting a bird that could have ended in the salvage yard.

Have you weighed it yet? Did you get an increase or decrease in UL? Did your CG move?

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, jkhirsch said:

Well this is now officially a bump because I never found the useful load number. According to the memory of things I have read on here, a 252 is eligible for a 200lbs weight increase.

What allows the 252 the bump in weight increase?  I have a 231 with with an 826lb useful on it currently.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

What allows the 252 the bump in weight increase?  I have a 231 with with an 826lb useful on it currently.

Encore conversion, 230 lbs. Available on the 252 by Mooney service letter.

Heavier counterweights on elevators (maybe ailerons too).

Prop Governor mod.

Turn up prop to 2700

Turn down MP to 36"

Add Dual puck brakes?

Restamp engine from -MB to -MB(C)SB

BTW, I have never heard of a 231 that will outrun a 252. 10 knots is a lot of speed to make up.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jgarrison said:

Prop Governor mod.

Turn up prop to 2700

Turn down MP to 36"

Add Dual puck brakes?

BTW, I have never heard of a 231 that will outrun a 252. 10 knots is a lot of speed to make up.

Next year's project...

19 hours ago, jgarrison said:

Prop Governor mod.

Turn up prop to 2700

Turn down MP to 36"

Add Dual puck brakes?

He's the man who would know.

20 hours ago, jgarrison said:

Prop Governor mod.

Turn up prop to 2700

Turn down MP to 36"

Add Dual puck brakes?

Mine is almost done, but:

All counter weights on all control surfaces except for the top rudder weight

Dual puck brakes are part of it along with inner and mid gear doors - this includes changing out the master cylinders and some connecting hardware. The brakes are the big part of the job since it pretty much replaces entire brake system and also requires new spindles for the beefier brake torque plates to mount to the spindle.

in addition to the prop governor, it needs a re-configured controller to increase the MAP 36" to 39" and re-configured Fuel Pump to increase the scheduled Fuel flow.

-- the part about a 231 beating a 252 is purely marketing propaganda by Merlyn and nothing more; since its the other way around :)

• Like 1