M20K MSC restored

jclemens

Gentlemen,

I just returned from Daytona Aircraft where I delivered my 231 for her annual.

Jake gave me the grand tour; Including a tour of this 231. The pictures do not do it justice. The aircraft is beautiful and after seeing the avionics in action, I can say she will make someone very happy to own her. Daytona Aircraft has done a very nice job.

Regards,
W

On 11/13/2015, 5:54:56, KSMooniac said:

Very, very nice work.  I hope it sells quickly and encourages more such transformations/renewals by shops.

And there is no reason not to seek out these birds for restoration. There is always going to be a buyer for nearly new J or K model at a price that beats the heck out of a new Ovation. And the shop gets bragging rights on turning out a beautiful product. Jake would be crazy to not showcase this aircraft at Sun and Fun and Oshkosh.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jclemens, first of all, your 231 is beautiful from every angle.

But, I'm curious. You're the first person I've ever heard to asert that the mod'd 231 is actually faster than the 252. I get the W&B advantage, but the speed. Do you have any factual data to support your claim? Any current 231 or 252 drivers able to comment?

Note, the results of this thread may cause me to leave the 252 camp in favor of a mod'd 231...

• Like 1

The speed claim is based on this:  http://www.merlynproducts.com/mooneyanalysis.html 

Admittedly, it is only by a few knots and only at certain altitudes.  The useful load is much more advantageous than any speed gained over a 252.  After a long wait for the intercooler kit ours has finally arrived.  We are real close to being able to go aviating, then we can see what real life numbers we come up with.

It will be on the market formally once it's completed and tested.  The intercooler kit took forever and a couple of more weeks to get.  It finally arrived last week and is basically finished now.  With the Holiday season here I don't anticipate completion to the point of my satisfaction being accomplished until after the new year.  We installed a LOT of new stuff, there will certainly need to be some more work to do once the plane starts flying.  It will take me a few weeks just to figure out how to turn it all on ;).  Here are a few shots of the intercooler installation I just took today.  Before someone else comments, I know the cowl chafe seal looks ugly, it will be replaced.

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

Just now, teejayevans said:

Is that a reflection of you pilot skills or bank account?

If former some lesson can fix that.

Add FIKI and I'd have to upgrade the engine monitor...and you have my IMWNO (if money was no object) plane.

A little bit of both. It would be like flinging this 5'4"  130 pounder into the arms of Gisele Bundchen or Jennifer Lawrence. Where does one start?

• Like 1

Just now, flyboy0681 said: I don't know about some of you guys, but that's too much plane for me.

That's great to hear!  "Too much plane" was one of my main criteria in this project

Great looking plane! Let us know where the useful load comes in. I'm very curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The intercooler took 8 weeks to get, just like they said it would.  Installation was about 40 hours.  My installation is not typical, it could be done in less time.  We are being a bit meticulous on this build.  You could add FIKI to a 231, if you so desire.  https://www.caviceprotection.com/products-services/ice-protection-systems/mooney-fiki