ADSB WAAS exemption

Mooneymite

Exemption Available for Part of ADS-B Out Requirements

- October 20, 2015, 11:18 AM

Airlines and general aviation aircraft owners and operators can apply to the FAA for an exemption to part of the ADS-B OUT equipment requirements, which could make meeting the U.S. 2020 ADS-B mandate temporarily simpler. The exemption basically allows use of a less-capable GPS or global navigation satellite system GNSS) sensor (basically non-WAAS) coupled with a rule-compliant ADS-B transponder to meet the ADS-B Out deadline. The exemption requires the upgraded transponder, new wiring to allow installation of the compliant GNSS so it is a simple swap and a plan for how and when the final upgrade will be completed, according to Jens Hennig, v-p of operations at the General Aviation Manufacturers Association. “The operator is also required to qualify its existing GPS to support ADS-B and use the Service Availability Prediction Tool (SAPT) for every flight,” he explained. “Both Boeing and Airbus are behind the curve on having service bulletins for the airlines to install [ADS-B],” said Ric Peri, vice president of government and industry affairs for the Aircraft Electronics Association. “Hence the need for a delay. The delay is only for the position source, not the ADS-B transponder/transmitter.”

Not much of an exemption. It's not the WAAS that makes it expensive. 

-Robert

As someone who doesn't have a WAAS receiver, I may have to disagree...

I can buy a standalone UAT box for $1995.  The cheapest GNS430W I've seen is over $6000.

If I can use a non-WAAS GPS source, it would be even cheaper still.

As someone who doesn't have a WAAS receiver, I may have to disagree...

I can buy a standalone UAT box for $1995.  The cheapest GNS430W I've seen is over $6000.

FWIW, I have a Garmin handheld that has WAAS, so technically it shouldn't be that expensive. I guess it's a supply and demand?

To be used for the ADS-B out signal, it has to be a certified WAAS GPS signal.  The only exception to this, thus far, is that an experimental simply has to show its performance is at least to the standards set for the TSO, and doesn't have to be TSO'ed itself.

Yes, the standalone UAT boxes I was referring to have a certified, internal WAAS GPS.  If any old GPS signal could be used, it would be cheaper still.

And still less than the cheapest used GNS-430W.

I don't see this as much of an "exemption" since the aircraft has to have the ADSB out installed and a plan submitted for when/how complete compliance will be done.  I suspect that if I told them my plan for installing WAAS in my little experimental plane was "never", it wouldn't fly.

This is for the operators who already have the Mode S transponders installed and a Non-WAAS GPS.  For airlines that have hundreds of aircraft without WAAS, it's a good deal.  For you and me.....not so much.