Carburetor Intake duct

This has been a painful Annual...

As a CB i am looking for the Carburetor air intake hose, engine baffles and a serviceable nose gear truss for my 1963 M20C. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all. I am in Northern California. 

Francis G

N6731U

I'm not sure you want a used carburetor intake duct.

Those things age quickly and they are very expensive for what you get.If you do buy a new one, be sure to check the manufacture date.  I bought one at full price, but later discovered it was about 8 years old when I bought it!

I think LASAR does the nose truss exchange for the modified truss that is less vulnerable to FBO abuse.  If you're removing yours anyway, this would be a great time to up-grade.

Edited by Mooneymite

Is it the same as the intake boot for those of us who are injected? That little boot runs between $250-$500 depending on the current supply. One thing that helps prolong the life is to not needlessly drop the lower cowl. Lowering the cowl puts stress on the boot.  You can do a proper annual (remove the heat shroud, etc) and inspect with mirrors without removing the lower cowl.

-Robert

As others have stated above, your best bet for parts is probably LASAR because of your location.  Additionally, they will overhaul your nose gear truss or can probably sell you one that's already been refurbished.

Your engine baffling is simple sheet metal that any A&P should be able to work on and patch.  It's nice when it's pretty, but it works well even if it isn't. 

I got the Airforms flyer also.  Seemed really expensive for something that is simple and easy to work on.  Does look nice, though.

The intake ducts on C and E/F are different part numbers tho similar items. 

My C went through one in 6 years:  suggest you disconnect it before dropping lower cowl, not afterwards, to reduce stress on the flexible duct.  

You should remove intake box at annual to inspect carb heat door operation.  IMO

Duct tape works in a pinch...

• Like 1

Yes, check your carb heat valve operation. Mine failed in the On position, even though the lever in the cabin moved to Off. My only clue was piss-poor performance, climb rates of 200-300 fpm at Thanksgiving in the NC mountains. Later on that same flight home, ATC asked if I was really a Mooney . . . While we were fixing that, we looked at the throttle attachment to the carb, it was about to come undone. Now both work properly. Did more doghouse cleanup, a never ending chore.

give things an occasional check whenever you are working on your plane. It's better to find some things on the ground than in the air. Suppose my throttle linkage failed over E TN, nothing but steep hills and trees around when the engine went to idle power?

• 3 years later...

I have tried to find a intake duct for a 1962 M20C.  Called LASAR and about 10 more places to get this part and they say good luck and maybe they could order it from mooney but it would take around 6 months to a year to get it.  Does some one have another idea for a fix or a new one.  My intake duct is shot not fixable.

8 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I have tried to find a intake duct for a 1962 M20C.  Called LASAR and about 10 more places to get this part and they say good luck and maybe they could order it from mooney but it would take around 6 months to a year to get it.  Does some one have another idea for a fix or a new one.  My intake duct is shot not fixable.

Try Jerry, his number is in a different thread about parting out a 65C. I talked to him about one but he said it was pretty worn so I bought one from Mooney through LASAR earlier this week. Dan at LASAR had said it was the last one Mooney had on the shelf at the moment... Maybe what Jerry has is better than what you currently have?

The one coming out of my plane is in good condition except a small hole where a hose clamp had poked through it. Not sure if it can be repaired with some fiberglass cloth and RTV.  I was planning on trying that but since LASAR could get it I went new.

• Like 1

RTV and fiberglass cloth work real good. Clean it in a sink with a tooth brush and AJAX cleanser. smear on a thin coat of RTV and lay in a small patch of cloth, smear on another coat and another patch of cloth. Let it dry, trim off any cloth edges sticking out and give it one last thin coat of RTV. 

Edited by N201MKTurbo