M20J - Fuel Servo, Opinions Wanted

d0tnet

Quick plug for ACI in Texas and big thanks to KSMooniac for the recommendation!

They got it done for me on a quick turn, and the quality workmanship validates the decision to use them.

I've flown about an hour (test flight and return to home base) and noticed the following improvements:

1. Much smoother idle/startup - almost don't realize the engine is on at idle

2. CHT temps much cooler than before

3. Fuel flow is lower

Lesson learned to check these types of details during log inspection.

• 2 years later...

I just had mine (potentially) poop the bed today. Had an engine that would run very lean, but any adjustment Rich 1/4 rich, and 1/8” travel in mixture it would start to stall. 

Mechanic figured servo, and had 2 other opinions on it pretty much confirm it. 

Worth an overhaul, or just bite the bullet and buy new? Engine has 750 hours on it. Just bought the plane. 5 hours in and this happens. 

• 3 weeks later...

How many hours on the fuel servo?

was it OH’d with the engine?

Some things may have been transferred directly from the old engine...

There are probably rules for that...

There have been a few servo related engine problems around here that don’t end very well...

And there are also FOD things that can be cleaned out...

OH vs. new? How do you feel about that?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

There've been a couple threads recently regarding getting new fuel pumps. 

There was also someone's engine out problem who ended up getting a new fuel pump, but I can't remember his name...

Anyway, new pumps apparently meet the IO-360 specs, but put out pressure that exceeds the specs in the M20J service manual.  The pumps have the correct same part number, and sellers are saying it is the same part, but it's not quite.  Obviously, if you have analog FP gauges only, it's not a major issue, but it sets off alarms on digital primary FP gauges.

Getting an overhauled fuel pump would probably avoid this issue (aside from costing a little less)

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

There've been a couple threads recently regarding getting new fuel pumps. 

There was also someone's engine out problem who ended up getting a new fuel pump, but I can't remember his name...

Anyway, new pumps apparently meet the IO-360 specs, but put out pressure that exceeds the specs in the M20J service manual.  The pumps have the correct same part number, and sellers are saying it is the same part, but it's not quite.  Obviously, if you have analog FP gauges only, it's not a major issue, but it sets off alarms on digital primary FP gauges.

Getting an overhauled fuel pump would probably avoid this issue (aside from costing a little less)

I recently had my fuel pump overhauled. It is a Rayjay turbo pump so it cost twice as much to get overhauled. There are no new ones so overhaul is the only option and they needed my core to overhaul it. 

After I got it back it was over pressure too. It eventually settled down to the very top of the green.

FWIW, I talked to the chief engineer at Precision Airmotive about how much fuel pressure the RSA-5 could handle and he said it will work fine with 75 PSI. So there is no problem with the high pressure.

• Like 1