$500 clock?

RobertGary1

Davtron $162 have one in my plane works great.

If you want to mount it in the yolk get the one without the battery backup.  You will need a constant 12V source when master is off to maintain the time .  If you are not interested in keeping the correct time then it becomes ad flight time recorder as well when you turn on the master or avionics SW depending on what bus you connect it to.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/davtron10-03334.php?clickkey=18998

Edited by 1964-M20E

I lurked I lurked and scored a Davtron M803 for 125$.  It came with the temp probe and everything.  Keep a lookout they turn up. 

Very true...I got a M655 years ago for $100 or so as well. It is a multi function OAT system, but no clock. I already had an M811b clock thanks to the previous owner. Davtron makes nice products.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I installed the Mid Continent MD-93 during my panel upgrade in my M20J - it does have 2 x USB charging ports which is excellent, however when transiting a timezone with +9:30 GMT I found there was no way to set the local time & GMT time to represent their actual values. I went to the Mid Continent web site and contacted support to find out the reason (I also read the pilots guide in its entirety(!)) and they never responded. There is also no way to set it to start on GMT time on startup (it always defaults to local time). I believe for the cost, it should have been better engineered than that.

I always wanted my clock to simultaneously display GMT and local time. I think an aircraft panel clock should have this capability.

I replaced my ailing oem one with a Davtron M802.

It's a very nice piece with all the functions and of course a permanent display of both times that I really like.

image.png

image.png

Edited by PTK

I always wanted my clock to simultaneously display GMT and local time. I think an aircraft panel clock should have this capability.

I replaced my ailing oem one with a Davtron M802.

It's a very nice piece with all the functions and of course a permanent display of both times that I really like.

ipad already does that. Need a ticking panel clock only to be legal 

I heard a really cool story on NPR a year or two ago, about DC3's still in service in South America, and this one was running a passenger service across a notch in the Andes with two very tall mountains on either side of the route, so below the highest terrain.  Often they would do this IFR with no ground NAV, no GPS, and almost no IFR instrumention.  All they used (as standard service, not as emergency coping), was an attitude indicator, a whisky compass, and a clock, for timed turns in the clouds - remember tall mountains on either side.  And it actually worked - usually - I guess except for sometimes it didn't....

If you want to spend on a clock what you can spend on entire ipad, then be my guest.

How much is that?

A clock is required IFR equipment. An ipad is not.

Even if it was, I can't put it in the clock spot in my panel and I can't even get a used one for as little as I paid for my brand new Davtron clock!

Thank you for your permission and concern by the way!

Edited by PTK

Here is one that it's cheaper. That's what I have. I thought that moving to the digital display would make more sense. In retrospect, I should've left the old one in that was perfectly functional. I just never needed to use it so far...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/ei-chronometers.php

I like that. A very nice clock. And if I decide to do my ATP I'll look cool timing all those approaches.

-Robert

I decided to upgrade my yoke clock which had been dead for a while.  The replacement keeps good time to the millisecond, and has other features the old clock lacked (Terrain warnings, XM weather, GPS moving map) and it cost about $500.  

But you're not going to use it as an FAA certified clock per §91.205(d)6   on a checkride. 

-Robert