Gear: Scary moment this morning

This morning I had a scary moment on the ILS approach. Everything was working out just fine until I put the gear down...After the usual noise the electrical gear motor just did not stop working and I did not get an indication that the gear was down. So I pulled the breaker and started to lower the gear by hand. But not indication (green light) only the visual one... Tower confirmed that gear was down. So I decided to continue the approach and land. I guess the switch that identifies that the gear is down died... any other possibilities. And if that were to be the case does somebody know who carries one that I could buy...

Nothing major, just  a scary moment.

Oscar

This morning I had a scary moment on the ILS approach. Everything was working out just fine until I put the gear down...After the usual noise the electrical gear motor just did not stop working and I did not get an indication that the gear was down. So I pulled the breaker and started to lower the gear by hand. But not indication (green light) only the visual one... Tower confirmed that gear was down. So I decided to continue the approach and land. I guess the switch that identifies that the gear is down died... any other possibilities. And if that were to be the case does somebody know who carries one that I could buy...

Nothing major, just  a scary moment.

Oscar

When I first bought my plane, the owner who was also the CFI transitioning me into the plane, told me that the gear breaker would pop on occasion. During the 3 or 4 hours of work together, which included numerous landings, it never popped.

My first flight in the plane afterwards was a night flight. Sure enough, the breaker popped. It caught me by surprise.

It took me a while (and lots of money) to finally figure out the cause -- a slipping alternator belt while under load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He said TAS...not IAS.

Thanks,,,   you made me think in a thoughtful way about my thoughtless quick post.

I had just read his IAS as 144 MPH,,, not anywhere near 150 KPH.

I am now relearning the things I thought I knew, but maybe didnt know, 26 yr ago, when I was last a pilot.

I missed his point of TAS Vs IAS,,  makes a big difference..

Ive been studying a lot, my old confusion is becoming mixed up/in the old confusion,

I dont know/think I can ever win!

BTW,,,   I really like the results of your custom refined cowling for the Mooney's.

• Like 1

Just to add...

I have now worn out two pages of my books, and my wiz wheel has seized up from over use!

I see his alt and kosman so have reduced his alt to 9470, pressure alt,

but,, I dont know his OAT,, my only clue is  carb temp of 10c, which seems high!

But whether the OAT is 10c, very warm,,, or -2c, standard,

He IS trucking along,,,  somewhere between 170 MPH, or 166 MPH,,,   WOW!!

Sooo,,,  in KPH,,,  he is going   148 KPH,,   or 144 KPH  "TAS"!

That IS Fast!     and thanks for the head ache,,   I needed that,,   I will cool down and oil my wiz wheel

and fix a drink!

My studies continue...

• Like 1

Not too shabby, especially when the Owners Manual shows TAS = 163 MPH at 10,000 msl with this power setting (20"/2500). My last annual fixed some things that needed fixin, added about 10-12 mph to what I was used to. Lovin it!! :D  She's just a C, which everyone tells me should be slow because of the 3-blade prop . . .

• Like 4

Thanks,,,   you made me think in a thoughtful way about my thoughtless quick post.

I had just read his IAS as 144 MPH,,, not anywhere near 150 KPH.

I am now relearning the things I thought I knew, but maybe didnt know, 26 yr ago, when I was last a pilot.

I missed his point of TAS Vs IAS,,  makes a big difference..

Ive been studying a lot, my old confusion is becoming mixed up/in the old confusion,

I dont know/think I can ever win!

BTW,,,   I really like the results of your custom refined cowling for the Mooney's.

You have me confused with David (Sabremech), he's the mad scientist that's redesigning the vintage cowling!

We kind of hijacked this thread and to Oscar my apologies, Hank I couldn't resist with such a clear shot of your panel. Did not know your temps so I guessed as it was just for fun. I think all things being equal you got me by about 2 knots. I still want to know how a dog house repair could add so much speed. Oscar have you had a chance to determine the problem with your gear?

Edited by bonal
  • Like 1

We kind of hijacked this thread and to Oscar my apologies, Hank I couldn't resist with such a clear shot of your panel. Did not know your temps so I guessed as it was just for fun. I think all things being equal you got me by about 2 knots. I still want to know how a dog house repair could add so much speed. Oscar have you had a chance to determine the problem with your gear?

Yeah, you kind of hijacked the thread...but nevertheless it was an interesting discussion.

So to close the loop: An actuator switch failed, so the gear motor continued to run and, although it lowered the gear, it went through some rubber/plastic bushing (see page 136 of the parts manual). Don Maxwell helped me out with the parts and the advice on what is going on.

It is not a big deal... beyond the fact that it scared the heck out of me on final. 

Oscar

• Like 1

Yeah, you kind of hijacked the thread...but nevertheless it was an interesting discussion.

So to close the loop: An actuator switch failed, so the gear motor continued to run and, although it lowered the gear, it went through some rubber/plastic bushing (see page 136 of the parts manual). Don Maxwell helped me out with the parts and the advice on what is going on.

It is not a big deal... beyond the fact that it scared the heck out of me on final. 

Oscar

Thanks for the update. Always helpful for others who encounter this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well... I was too fast in communicating the good news... it seems that the rubber bushing was not the problem, but the screw that connects the motor to the actuator. Which is a more complicated problem and I have to send it the motor and the actuator to LASAR for overhaul. Luckily they have the parts in stock and I will be in the US next week. So I can take the parts with me and send them next week. I will keep you informed... 

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2872 (1).JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Well, to give you an update. My plane is still down...:(:angry: I got the overhauled motor back last week as well as the gear actuator switches. I gave everything to my IA yesterday and they are working on it. I took advantage of the downtime to upgrade my 430 to a 650 (considering that I am moving back to the US and that labor costs are going to go up...). Looks nice....

Unfortunately I don't think that the plane is going to be ready for a test flight before I leave to DC on the Monday.  Thus, when I am back on November 14 I will need to do a flight test and then on the 16 in the early morning I will be off to the US. 

Route: MGGT - CZM - KEYW (about 700 miles). Then KEYW - Jacksonville. 

Weather permitting next day Jacksonville - KGAY or Leesburg Executive (depending if I get my old hangar back at KGAY).

So I will keep you informed and make some videos of the trip.

• Like 1

what are your fuel takes . ? standard 52 gal, or long range ?about 380 miles over water, scary ?   do you have to do anything with cuba, or are you out of their airspace? Sounds like an epic trip

carl

Carl,

I will be carrying a ferry tank (21 gal) plus 62 gal in my wings... so that should be enough. I don't need to do anything about Cuba because I don't touch their airspace (although I do talk to them). The main issue is if I have to land in Mexico. From what I know just to land to take some fuel makes you lose about 1 to 2 hours and 200 US in fees.