Vernier mixture cable for E model?

I bought a McFarlane vernier mixture cable to put in my 66 C with manual gear. At first glance, my mechanic expressed concern about the location of the gear latch interfering with the install. I have seen photos of several manual gear models with the same control—can anyone comment on any issues? I don’t want to drill a bigger hole only to learn the installation is not workable. 

Thanks,

Zack

Just now, woodz said:

I bought a McFarlane vernier mixture cable to put in my 66 C with manual gear. At first glance, my mechanic expressed concern about the location of the gear latch interfering with the install. I have seen photos of several manual gear models with the same control—can anyone comment on any issues? I don’t want to drill a bigger hole only to learn the installation is not workable. 

Thanks,

Zack

I just did this on my 65 manual gear 'C. Other than it being a pain in the ass to do anything with those controls, I didn't have any issues with the gear latch specifically.

Oh yeah, I also took the opportunity to swap the mixture and prop to the standard positions. I did an engine overhaul so I replaced all the controls at the same time. Not sure that it matters since the prop control I installed is also a vernier.  I can take some pics if you want. Just let me know.

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

They look original to me.

It's really difficult to get pictures, it's very tight around there.

IMG_3250.jpg

next two are the mixture control

IMG_3254.jpg

img1.jpg

Mixture is top left, prop middle, throttle right

img2.jpg

you can see all 3, mixture on top, throttle on bottom

img3.jpg

the mixture above the gear block

img4.jpg

shows mixture better. there's "plenty" of room ;)

img5.jpg

another view of all 3 from upside down, mixture is the closest, throttle furthest

img6.jpg

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, woodz said:

The photos are great thanks. It’s good to know it can be done. Is that an EDM 900 you have? I’m putting one in next month at annual and that’s what got me going down the path to the vernier mixture.

Yep. It’s awesome. 

Original or ancient... hard to tell...

in 65... the C had a big black phenolic knob for the prop...  Mooney must have bought 100k at some auction...

The same knob showed up in some Ks for cowl flap controls...

+1 on replacing knobs with newer... these things have a tendency to fray and fail... after a few thousand hours...

Engine OH is a good time to have that decision...

Best regards,

-a-

These guys are amazing. I would not hesitate using these guys for anything in my airplane. I’ve installed a few in the past in aircraft. Thousands of hours of use with out any issues. They actually have the closest thing to the large vernier cables I’ve seen in Mooney’s. Way closer to anything Mcfairlen or ASC has.  

http://www.power-trans.net/

-Matt