Vernier mixture cable for E model?

Can anyone suggest a source for a new replacement mixture cable? I'm told a factory one is $400. McFarlane doesn't have an off the shelf replacement, but can "build to match", $200+ and a field approval / 337 is then needed.

Thanks

Michael

I have an ACS in mine. You can find them through aircraft spruce, they're based in Lake Havasu AZ.Works great. But needs field approval. I'm doing my prop cable with the same brand and field approval (owner produced part).

Mike

I have an ACS in mine. You can find them through aircraft spruce, they're based in Lake Havasu AZ.Works great. But needs field approval. I'm doing my prop cable with the same brand and field approval (owner produced part).

Mike

Do you recall the length?

Mike

Mike, thanks for the information. ACS looks like the most affordable solution, but my shop owner isn't sure he can get field approval. However, he says it would be easy to get if I had a copy of someone else's field approval. I'd be very grateful if you could please send me a copy of yours - would you mind? I agree that this is a goofy way of doing things, but I guess that's the FAA we've been dealt.

Cheers

Michael

I'll see what I can dig up. Worst case just wait until mine is out of annual and I will have the new field approval for my prop cable. Here is an interesting link also: 

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/9818-wanted-propeller-control-cable/#entry230128

Read the second reply about the email from the FSDO

mike

Edited by Mhemperly

I replaced my STC'ed vernier throttle (79' 231) with a McFarlane combi push-pull/vernier as formation flying is difficult with a pure vernier.  Obtaining the 337 field approval with local FSDO (Scottsdale) was a non issue. The local inspector realizes that getting replacement parts for vintage aircraft is an issue.  Presented him with the engineering diagrams, was approved in minutes.  

Not to start another discussion, but for those that want to fly formation and have a vernier, an alternative is to construct a clamp to hold the release button down so the vernier works like a push-pull.  

I just replaced my prop cable and went with MacFarlane rather than ACS after studying the quality differences. McFarland was really great to work with you can either send them the old cable and they'll match it or you can use their online form and fill in the specs on lengths etc and they will get it to you in a matter of days. On another thread an explanation for what you'll need to do for an owner produced part that your A&P can use.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

McFarlane is your best option but you don't need a 337 for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This by far is your best option and Scott's correct, you don't need a 337.  Its an owner produced part.  Just a log book entry from your A&P.

Reference 14CFR21.303(b)(2)

Edited by tony
  • Like 1

It would be nice if we had a collection of pre filled forms for the various cables we use.  They are difficult to measure on wing and pulling them out grounds the plane.  Anybody willing to share what they have for an M20E?  I would like to update the mixture and throttle soon, but hate being grounded while I wait.  I suspect McFarlane has the info, but are probably required to request the form so that it remains "owner manufactured".  

• Like 1

I'll measure my mixture cable when it comes out and post the information. Is it common for an inspector to be more willing (or willing at all) when provided with a previous field approval? If that's the case I think it would be very useful if we could post field approvals to a central location such as the Gallery/Downloads for others to use.

• Like 1

The owner-produced provisions exist in the regs for a reason. A field approval is NOT required for McFarlane cables and any A&P can install the cable provided by the owner, and make a log entry stating so. You're really trying to make it harder than it really is.

• Like 4

I recommend removing the cable and carefully measuring and filling out the form. As noted on their WebSite, call Tim Paine and discuss details and pricing for "custom cables". 

http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Reference/default.aspx?ID=6554170&page=Content&Article=87

I set my old cable on the bench and could have reinstalled it if necessary but the new cable was built and shipped the next day and arrived before I needed to go anywhere. FWIW, the new MacFarlane cable holds RPM much more steady than the old ACS. 

This is to be done or overseen by your A&P.

I have a throttle cable that is removed.  I can fill out a form for it.  However the cost of the throttle cable from McFarland was only $12 less than the one I purchased from Maxwell.  

Does your throttle cable have the notch for the gear warning horn switch?  Not sure when they did away with that.

Thanks

Edited by takair
Added "switch"

I'll measure my mixture cable when it comes out and post the information. Is it common for an inspector to be more willing (or willing at all) when provided with a previous field approval? If that's the case I think it would be very useful if we could post field approvals to a central location such as the Gallery/Downloads for others to use.

That would be great.

Regarding the 337, I installed my prop cable as a minor alteration.....log entry.  It is really mechanic discretion.  In the past, a previous field approval made it easier for follow on.  The Feds see it as previously approved data and it is even mentioned as acceptable, someplace.  It depends on the FSDO.  Many of the older 201 mods were done this way, today it would be difficult.

Edited by takair

The owner-produced provisions exist in the regs for a reason. A field approval is NOT required for McFarlane cables and any A&P can install the cable provided by the owner, and make a log entry stating so. You're really trying to make it harder than it really is.

well said. Talked with my IA today while I got started on my owner assisted annual. I pulled the cable out and we took some measurements and ordered the cable. They're even installing the threaded sleeve for the firewall. My IA said its a simple log book entry for owner produced part. 

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
51 minutes ago, drapo said:

Reviving this subject! Anyone here knows if « owner produced » cables from MacFarlane are acceptable under Transport Canada rules ? @M20Doc or someone?

It really depends on your maintainer.  I’ve had them produce cables for me when the OEM parts are no longer available.  

Clarence