New pilot finally got my 74F home to denver

Just wanted to say hello to all my fellow mooniacs! Im new to aviation, but always wanted to be a pilot. Walked into a flight school last summer and just kept comming back everyday till i got my PPL.  Learned to fly in 180 piper archer, but had my eye on Mooneys since day 1. This summer i just could not help myself, I found the plane i wanted 74F with really low time airframe (855 hrs), and motor/prop (144 hrs since 2006), so i wrote a check. Found a hangar at my home airport KBJC near Denver the owner was willing to part with so i wrote another check,   (sorta jumped in head first i know):unsure:.  Flew out to miami commercial one way two weeks ago, met with a cfi and we flew my bird back, logged 13 hrs in one day, whew! I took the Mooney up for the first solo flight in my new plane a day later, what a rush! Now the Mooney is in for her first annual and so far things are looking pretty good. So here I am guys green as they come 90hrs TT with 14 in type and 5 takeoffs / landings in it. Noticed this site is full of really friendly people who are super knowlegable, so thought i would introduce myself and N25EJ.  :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 12

Welcome!  Sounds like you are a hard charger, jumping in with both feet.  You are wise to go with the hangar.

Get your instrument rating as soon as you can.  You won't be so dependent on the weather and can enjoy your Mooney even more.

Keep us posted on how your annual goes.

What is that dark spot in the last picture, just ahead of the left vent and right below the paint stripes?

Wow!  Sharp eyes.

PilotPierce, be aware that virtually nothing goes un-noticed on Mooneyspace.  All of your virtues and blemishes will soon be outed!

In a nice way.

• Like 2

Welcome to the F class. I've owned my 75F for 24 years. I do have a question for you. What is that dark spot in the last picture, just ahead of the left vent and right below the paint stripes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait isn't that supposed to be there?not sure shrapnel maybe? :huh: JK, never noticed it, I think it's a nice round hole. I'll have to look closer when it comes back from annual. Good eyes Marauder im impressed! 

Thanks for the compliments HRM, Mooneymite and Cloud, sure makes a guy feel proud. Honestly though she looks better in pictures, little rough around the edges, don't bother me though I've already had my dog up with me, bought it to use. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Wait isn't that supposed to be there?not sure shrapnel maybe? :huh: JK, never noticed it, I think it's a nice round hole. I'll have to look closer when it comes back from annual. Good eyes Marauder im impressed! 

Thanks for the compliments HRM, Mooneymite and Cloud, sure makes a guy feel proud. Honestly though she looks better in pictures, little rough around the edges, don't bother me though I've already had my dog up with me, bought it to use. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f8d78f08e4f04f9fe42f01d676c1eb0d.jpeg

Poor puppy! Flying aerobatics on the first flight!

0fd57212ec836c9f858a7292acee68e8.jpg

• Like 2

Just wanted to say hello to all my fellow mooniacs! Im new to aviation, but always wanted to be a pilot. Walked into a flight school last summer and just kept comming back everyday till i got my PPL.  Learned to fly in 180 piper archer, but had my eye on Mooneys since day 1. This summer i just could not help myself, I found the plane i wanted 74F with really low time airframe (855 hrs), and motor/prop (144 hrs since 2006), so i wrote a check. Found a hangar at my home airport KBJC near Denver the owner was willing to part with so i wrote another check,   (sorta jumped in head first i know):unsure:.  Flew out to miami commercial one way two weeks ago, met with a cfi and we flew my bird back, logged 13 hrs in one day, whew! I took the Mooney up for the first solo flight in my new plane a day later, what a rush! Now the Mooney is in for her first annual and so far things are looking pretty good. So here I am guys green as they come 90hrs TT with 14 in type and 5 takeoffs / landings in it. Noticed this site is full of really friendly people who are super knowlegable, so thought i would introduce myself and N25EJ.  :D

Congrats!! Similar to you, I did my PPL in a PA-28, then immediately purchased and started transition into my Mooney with only 85 hrs under my belt.  9 months and 75 hours later, I'm incredibly happy with my decision.  With my M20C languishing in the avionics shop at the moment, I just flew in an Archer again with a CFI to brush up some skills- I couldn't believe how awful the thing felt after my experience in the Mooney.   You made the right decision - good luck!

• Like 1

DXB thanks for sharing your story, it's nice to know im not the only one that purchased a mooney with so few hours under my belt. It's great to hear that you're experience has been a pleasurable one, and thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome. 

• Like 1

DXB thanks for sharing your story, it's nice to know im not the only one that purchased a mooney with so few hours under my belt. It's great to hear that you're experience has been a pleasurable one, and thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome. 

several of us did that. I had 62 hours when I bought my C. Flew it 100 more in my first year. Love it!

welcome to both if you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎22‎:‎01‎, Marauder said:

Welcome to the F class. I've owned my 75F for 24 years. I do have a question for you. What is that dark spot in the last picture, just ahead of the left vent and right below the paint stripes?

I remembered to look at the " dark spot " in the pictures. Its actually a small fresh air scoop just runs straight into the interior with a small screen to keep debris out. My bird has been down in the Caribbean since it was new so I'm guessing its something one of the two previous owners added to cool things down in the cockpit. Ill have to see how it works out in the cold winter air here in Denver.

• Like 1

Wanted to check in with u and see how things were going.  Annual ok?

A couple things occurred to me as I read the thread.  U might consider spraying ( corrosion proofing ) the plane to exorcise any salt that might be lurking.

Lots of ways to remember the gear, my main one is use airspeed.   I try to be down to gear speed about downwind, and as soon as I get there, I throw out the gear. I sometimes will do a little climb, maybe throw in a little slip to dump speed. Then gumps at your usual spot , then make a final gear check part of your on final habit.   Another check is if the plane is even harder to slow down than normal.  

Especially if you have old steam gauge instruments, get really familiar with your plane before starting IFR.  New pilots need to be through their first scare.  And the first scare is usually weather.  Life has gotten pretty good, new plane, nice dog. Too good to piss away on the weather. :-)

Pm me if you want to chat, I have an F and really like it

Gary

Like many Congrats on your new plane I hope your pup likes it to. A few guys at my airport bring there dogs along. I also went from a Piper to a Mooney right when I got my PPL and immediately started my instrument rating therefore learning how to fly the plane with smoothness and building up flight time at the same time.

good luck and welcome aboard..