O&N Fuel caps , Pics please

Alan,

Somebody has posted them relatively recently.  I think the discussion was how there was a small step above the wing's surface.  The caps themselves had shaped edges, scalloped?

i could be mistaken with this...

Or this one...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Not specifically on the caps.

An AD came out on O&N's bladder that addressed about 4 issues:

Low point drain.

Icing of the tank vents.

Engine breather icing.

Fuel caps.

The fuel cap portion could be satisfied by either changing to a different style cap, or by adding a supplement to the POH requiring checking for water each time the plane is fueled.  Using this AMOC, the original caps are okay.

Over the last 17 years I have found the original caps to be completely satisfactory and have never had an issue with water getting into my tanks.  Since I've always  checked for water after refueling, the AMOC is not a problem.

I have the original caps from 18 years ago, water will sit on top of the cap so I understand why they would be concern. I always clear off any standing water before opening the cap. I have never found water in the fuel sample.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I have the original caps from 18 years ago, water will sit on top of the cap so I understand why they would be concern. I always clear off any standing water before opening the cap. I have never found water in the fuel sample.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Same observations here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not specifically on the caps.

An AD came out on O&N's bladder that addressed about 4 issues:

Low point drain.

Icing of the tank vents.

Engine breather icing.

Fuel caps.

The fuel cap portion could be satisfied by either changing to a different style cap, or by adding a supplement to the POH requiring checking for water each time the plane is fueled.  Using this AMOC, the original caps are okay.

Over the last 17 years I have found the original caps to be completely satisfactory and have never had an issue with water getting into my tanks.  Since I've always  checked for water after refueling, the AMOC is not a problem.

The AMOC actually requires a fuel check before each flight.

I had the old style caps for 8 years and also never had a problem with water in the tanks.

The AMOC actually requires a fuel check before each flight.

I had the old style caps for 8 years and also never had a problem with water in the tanks.

the issue isn't so much the caps leaking through the O-rings, the factory caps did that too.  Plus the bladder style caps have flourosilicone  O-rings which are far better than nitrile rubber. 

The real issue it installing the cap cocked slightly. It will still close, with greater pressure on the tab but rain water will run down the wing and Into the bladder gallons at a time. I've seen line guys attempt to hammer the tab down on my plane and one guy pulled out a flashlight to bash the tab down.  Both times the cap was cocked and not sealed. 

• Like 1