Travel Boards

• 3 weeks later...

Tennessee Aircraft Services, Inc. in Jackson, TN has the 030004-100 Mooney elevator travel board, 030003-001 Aileron/flap travel board, and 03005-100 Rudder travel board. We used them very little many years ago and would be happy to sell them at a reasonable price. Please contact us at TennesseeAircraft.net if anyone is interested.   

Tennessee Aircraft Services, Inc. in Jackson, TN has the 030004-100 Mooney elevator travel board, 030003-001 Aileron/flap travel board, and 03005-100 Rudder travel board. We used them very little many years ago and would be happy to sell them at a reasonable price. Please contact us at TennesseeAircraft.net if anyone is interested.   

Is this Paul?
I am interested in the aileron/flap and Rudder boards if they include the K model - I have the elevator board.
PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I am in the process of making a set of rigging boards… Here is the rudder board complete. These will be made out of aluminum.

The factory scales can sometimes be pretty far off. Up to 3/4 of a degree off!

A4C3C1A2-4C94-485A-9639-6D5CFF4966B6.jpeg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dmevans said:

I am in the process of making a set of rigging boards… Here is the rudder board complete. These will be made out of aluminum.

That looks great.   I think we need a set of Mooneyspace aluminum travel boards that get loaned out to folks wanting to check their rigging.  Better yet, regional rigging check fly-ins?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmevans said:

How will you make sure that yours are accurate?  I’ve got a complete set of factory boards and have had no issues with them.

Clarence

2 hours ago, dmevans said:

I made one from aluminum for the ailerons/flaps. I needed to put painters tape on the pads where it contacts the wing to protect the paint. Mooney probably made them from wood for that reason. The painters tape  may affect the accuracy slightly.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

How will you make sure that yours are accurate?  I’ve got a complete set of factory boards and have had no issues with them.

Clarence

Clarence,

Great point! The boards were made from a tracing of the boards and 1:1 scan of the scales. Each board was verified with measurements at 7-9 points to validate accuracy within .020”. 

The scales seem to have been marked by hand from the factory. On the original boards, you can actually see inconsistencies in the distance between degree marks. The degree marks of the original scales were actually validated in my CAD software and proved to be inconsistent. 

I have attached a shot of the original factory scales scan in CAD that were used to make the new scales. You can actually see where the scales match at 38 degrees towards the bottom and begin to deviate around 31 degrees and come back into tolerance around 28 degrees.

I am also making a bracket that will allow the scales to be suction cupped to the top of the wing in 3 locations so they can stay in place while adjustments are made.

4FEE0D58-A259-4D29-B05E-7A6954BFC9D0.jpeg

Using travel boards is not a precision operation, so I'm not surprised that the scales aren't consistent.   A digital level will be just as accurate or better than travel boards, imho.  Protractors are often used with good results as well.

16 hours ago, dmevans said:

Clarence,

Great point! The boards were made from a tracing of the boards and 1:1 scan of the scales. Each board was verified with measurements at 7-9 points to validate accuracy within .020”. 

The scales seem to have been marked by hand from the factory. On the original boards, you can actually see inconsistencies in the distance between degree marks. The degree marks of the original scales were actually validated in my CAD software and proved to be inconsistent. 

I have attached a shot of the original factory scales scan in CAD that were used to make the new scales. You can actually see where the scales match at 38 degrees towards the bottom and begin to deviate around 31 degrees and come back into tolerance around 28 degrees.

I am also making a bracket that will allow the scales to be suction cupped to the top of the wing in 3 locations so they can stay in place while adjustments are made.

4FEE0D58-A259-4D29-B05E-7A6954BFC9D0.jpeg

Those are great! Let me know cost and I’ll grab a set. 
For anyone who thinks .020” of an inch is a lot, think about that as a radius. I’m guessing that had a radii of 8”... that comes roughly to 1°=.139” and divide that by .020....you get .14° variation! I’m sure most our eyes can’t see that. Seems to also fit well within the tolerance specs of manual additionally you have free play limits that is less than.

On 7/6/2021 at 6:40 PM, dmevans said:

I will take a set.  Let me know where to send the check.

Hey Everyone,

Just an update. I’m currently on vacation and I’ll be back working on this project in a few weeks. I will post updates and pictures when I get the first batch from the machine shop.

Hopefully I can get a set out for everyone that’s made a request!

-Derek

• 1 month later...
Hey Everyone,
Just an update. I’m currently on vacation and I’ll be back working on this project in a few weeks. I will post updates and pictures when I get the first batch from the machine shop.
Hopefully I can get a set out for everyone that’s made a request!
-Derek

Thank you Derek. As i mentioned to you. I want a set for my M20C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro