Travel Boards

7 minutes ago, Eight8Victor said:

I attempted to create a set via waterjet. My intention was to be able to share the cad file so they could be produced at a local level for whoever needed them. The problem is that both sides have the degree scale and we could only jet the degree scale on one side as it was impossible to set the aluminum back in the precise position to create the degree scale on the opposite side. I ended up marking them by hand with a sharpie. The Mooney boards are very intricate and a work of art.

Did you use another set of Travel Boards to generate the CAD files?

Any chance of you sharing the files?  As you already know, this would be useful for others.

Edited by David_H

1 hour ago, David_H said:

Very true. Would you be willing to share the data you have?

I do not have "data" in the sense of numeric data that can be used to drive a CNC machine.  The travel boards I have are either wooden factory built or copies made duplicating originals by hand.

John Breda

7 hours ago, David_H said:

Did you use another set of Travel Boards to generate the CAD files?

Any chance of you sharing the files?  As you already know, this would be useful for others.

Yes, I did make this using an original as a template. I have not been able to find my file but I will check with the shop that worked with me. They might still have it. Your challenge will be getting the degree scale in proper position. I do not have the original travel board to work with anymore.

36 minutes ago, Eight8Victor said:

Yes, I did make this using an original as a template. I have not been able to find my file but I will check with the shop that worked with me. They might still have it. Your challenge will be getting the degree scale in proper position. I do not have the original travel board to work with anymore.

Do mirrored scales on placards and screw them to the boards, a few extra steps but I believe that's how the originals are done

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The ”Mooneyspace Tool Box”. I can find out what a genuine set of boards from Mooney cost.

Clarence

Please do!   Maybe we can even organize a group buy on a waterjet or cnc run or something.

Travel board pricing @ my cost from Mooney 

Rudder 030005-100    $375.00

Elevator 030004-100   $675.00

Aileron/flap 030003-200  $550.00

Elevator 030004-503   $525.00 for long bodied airframes

Clarence 

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence 

Count me in on a group buy.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence 

That really is not that expensive relatively speaking but it is a lot for something you only use a few times in the life of owning a Mooney. 

However, the first part of that statement may get kicked out of the CB club.:ph34r:

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence 

I'd be in for getting the CAD files made and a group run or something.  Are there obvious resources here for that?   I think one outcome should be a proper set of dxf files stored here or somewhere public.

As an MSC I don’t think Mooney would appreciate me making copies of these tools.  If you guy can organize some form of mutual ownership I’ll sell them at my cost.  

Clarence

I like the cooperative ownership idea. Charge a deposit of acquisition cost. Charge a $25 rental premium plus charge for round trip shipping. Damages withdrawn from deposit.

I’d put $100 toward the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2019 at 7:32 PM, tigers2007 said:

I like the cooperative ownership idea. Charge a deposit of acquisition cost. Charge a $25 rental premium plus charge for round trip shipping. Damages withdrawn from deposit.

I’d put $100 toward the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in for $100.00

Ted

• 3 months later...

Now that mooney is closed and maybe for a while, maybe we can revisit the travel boards. I have a 1964 m20e  and I am interested in acquiring a set of travel boards.  I would like to buy them or if there is any data out there so that I can have the made locally.

Thanks

Glenn

I can make travel boards but I would need to make them by hand if made from wood.  The original scales can be copied, placed on a hard medium (plastics or metal) and screwed onto the wood as in the original Travelboards.  I could also have a software template made from my wooden models, and make the scales in the same way.  The Travelboard then may be a 1/4" lexan/plexiglas or similar with the scales screwed on.  The problem is making them one set at a time is labor intensive.  Making the software template and finding a shop to cut them has a cost associated with it as well as some labor time.  Further sets become less time intensive.  The considerations are all time and money.  I have had a few people interested but in order to do the project, I need a commitment that is economically viable.  Any ideas?

John Breda