Travel Boards

1 minute ago, Mike Ropers said:

I'd vote aluminum - plasti dip coat the edge for scratch protection - it can be sprayed for an even coating.

I would think the aluminum would have to be 3/16 or better for rigidly, they look to be about 36" long but I'm not real sure, my software can nest multiples pieces but wasted material on a production run or 1 set would be high. A protective material on the pad of plastic, rubber or even masking tape on the control would work just fine. For production I would use a Laser or Router, Water-Jets do not cut 90° to the surface and Lasers do not like reflective surfaces (aluminum,  stainless) which you can mask but it does add to the process 

On 1/6/2019 at 12:23 AM, Tres said:

Does anybody have a copy of these they can post?

The dropbox link gives a 404 error and the file attached to the message is corrupt.

Thank you 

If instead of clicking on the dropbox link, you click on "travel_boards.zip", you will download a zip file.

When I unzip it, it seems to be corrupt.  The only files extracted are: "rudder  instructions.zip" and "rudder.jpg".  Maybe somebody else can extract more.  Luckily all I need right now are the rudder checks.

I'll upload these two rudder files that I did get out of the zip file to the Downloads section.  Given that the zip file is 1.9 MB and the two .jpg files are about that size, I'm guessing that is all it contains.

I have the CNC tools to make these and would be happy to make extras and sell them at cost if I could get the profiles. I have a 4'x8' laser that would be perfect. There are also multiple online fabrication services that could quickly cut these with the right cad data. 

If anyone has scans I can digitize them and start cutting.

• Thanks 3

On 1/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, Mike Ropers said:

I'd vote aluminum - plasti dip coat the edge for scratch protection - it can be sprayed for an even coating.

You would not want to put any sort of coating of the edge of the travel boards.  There is enough to go wrong when copying them, this would just add another possible source of error.  They are quite long so any error is magnified.

John Breda

36 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

You would not want to put any sort of coating of the edge of the travel boards.  There is enough to go wrong when copying them, this would just add another possible source of error.  They are quite long so any error is magnified.

John Breda

Not to mention the potential for changing the boards calibration. If they aren’t an exact copy, then the rigging might not end up correct. 

On 1/8/2019 at 11:02 AM, RLCarter said:

I would think the aluminum would have to be 3/16 or better for rigidly, they look to be about 36" long but I'm not real sure, my software can nest multiples pieces but wasted material on a production run or 1 set would be high. A protective material on the pad of plastic, rubber or even masking tape on the control would work just fine. For production I would use a Laser or Router, Water-Jets do not cut 90° to the surface and Lasers do not like reflective surfaces (aluminum,  stainless) which you can mask but it does add to the process 

The Mooney boards are 1/4” plywood with aluminum stiffeners for the longer ones.  My Cirrus set are cut from aluminum sheet, to prevent scratches I ran a strip of 3M electrical tape along the edges.

Clarence

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 8:18 PM, M20Doc said:

The Mooney boards are 1/4” plywood with aluminum stiffeners for the longer ones.  My Cirrus set are cut from aluminum sheet, to prevent scratches I ran a strip of 3M electrical tape along the edges.

Clarence

Clarence, the (expensive) boards that @AGL Aviationbought from Mooney a few years ago are aluminum. Perhaps the factory has produced both from time to time. Lynn taped the edges that touch the paint. 

• 6 months later...

I read several threads on travel boards and this one appears to be the most recent on the topic.

Was anyone able to come across data that could be used to reproduce the boards? If not, does anyone have a set that could be used to produce a duplicate a set?

17 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Is there a reason not to just get a set properly dimensioned for drawings or files so that whoever needs a set could them water-jetted or something?  

In my mind, putting the files out there so others can make their own boards is the ideal scenario.

Generating a set of engineering drawings so others can reproduce the boards isn't an issue. Either obtaining the data to generate the drawings or obtaining a set of travel boards for measurement purposes is required to make it happen.

It's surprising that someone hasn't already posted the data needed to make a set. I can't imagine anyone making a fortune owning a set of travel boards.

20 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Didn't someone on MS say they were $4500.00 a set?

I haven't personally checked the costs, but could easily see this being true. If so, that much of an "aviation maintenance tax" is appalling on every imaginable level. The engineering for the M20 series was done decades ago.

• Like 1

I doubt very much that the factory will freely provide the digital data to make these on a CNC machine.  They are using the data they have to make them for sale, for profit by Mooney.

I have the models to make them.  I can make them one at a time which is labor intensive, or I can use my models to create my own set of data.

I will look into the possibilities.

John Breda

18 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

I doubt very much that the factory will freely provide the digital data to make these on a CNC machine.  They are using the data they have to make them for sale, for profit by Mooney.

I have the models to make them.  I can make them one at a time which is labor intensive, or I can use my models to create my own set of data.

I will look into the possibilities.

John Breda

Just curious... Why would you want to make another set of Travel Boards if you already have a set?

I attempted to create a set via waterjet. My intention was to be able to share the cad file so they could be produced at a local level for whoever needed them. The problem is that both sides have the degree scale and we could only jet the degree scale on one side as it was impossible to set the aluminum back in the precise position to create the degree scale on the opposite side. I ended up marking them by hand with a sharpie. The Mooney boards are very intricate and a work of art.

FAA08F17-7350-4A1F-8D5C-C9BC322AE31E.jpeg

3EC11919-2237-40D5-BDAE-A738ACFA0983.jpeg

• Like 2