Unlatching pilot seatbelt while putting gear down

I have a useful load enough for one of my women, me and a Big Mac... Useful is 962.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's actually better than I expected. However, it's still hard for me to reconcile how you have 100lbs more in stuff. I still have a 50amp Generator and a soon to be removed ADF, both of which are boat anchors by aviation standards.

That's actually better than I expected. However, it's still hard for me to reconcile how you have 100lbs more in stuff. I still have a 50amp Generator and a soon to be removed ADF, both of which are boat anchors by aviation standards.

A lot of the new avionics ain't that much lighter. Plus I may have a lot more hidden that you don't see (like the STEC computers, the WX-500, etc.). What is your useful load?

A lot of the new avionics ain't that much lighter. Plus I may have a lot more hidden that you don't see (like the STEC computers, the WX-500, etc.). What is your useful load?

1061lbs as configured with said "boat anchors". However, my plane is pretty simple. All manual gear & flaps (I may have mentioned that before:P), King Silver Queen stack (Dual KX165s GS, KN62), and a simple wing leveler.  I figur with the ADF, antenna and an alternator conversion, I might get to 1070lbs.

1061lbs as configured with said "boat anchors". However, my plane is pretty simple. All manual gear & flaps (I may have mentioned that before), King Silver Queen stack (Dual KX165s GS, KN62), and a simple wing leveler.  I figur with the ADF, antenna and an alternator conversion, I might get to 1070lbs.

You indeed are a skinny one! Mine hasn't been over 1,000 lbs since the early 80s when a previous owner started adding LORAN and other stuff. The 201 windshield mod adds weight, as does the lower cowl enclosure. Lots of little things when I went through the logs. No big fat person wedged in the backseat that I could remove.

• Like 1

1061lbs as configured with said "boat anchors". However, my plane is pretty simple. All manual gear & flaps (I may have mentioned that before:P), King Silver Queen stack (Dual KX165s GS, KN62), and a simple wing leveler.  I figur with the ADF, antenna and an alternator conversion, I might get to 1070lbs.

Hi Ross, I'm curious, when is the last time you had your plane up on scales for a weighing? Steve

Hi Ross, I'm curious, when is the last time you had your plane up on scales for a weighing? Steve

Greetings to you Sir,

Why would I put my plane on scales?  I don't know for sure that the factory put it on scales; only a percentage of aircraft coming off the line were required to be weighed.  I have every W&B revision all the way back to the original.   IIRC it has always been within 20lbs of what it is today!

Edited by Shadrach

Greetings to you Sir,

Why would I put my plane on scales?  I don't know for sure that the factory put it on scales; only a percentage of aircraft coming off the line were required to be weighed.  I have every W&B revision all the way back to the original.   IIRC it has always been within 20lbs of what it is today!

I wouldn't put it on scales if I were you either, at least not for the purpose of a flight manual weight and balance update, but if you did I wouldn't be surprised if the weight does not align well with the past 45 years of calculations! I think the age of the weighing, and who did the weighing, are critical data points for consideration when people compare weights of similar models.

I wouldn't put it on scales if I were you either, at least not for the purpose of a flight manual weight and balance update, but if you did I wouldn't be surprised if the weight does not align well with the past 45 years of calculations! I think the age of the weighing, and who did the weighing, are critical data points for consideration when people compare weights of similar models.

You may be correct! It's not a huge concern for me though. I must say that our bird is unique in that it has been in the family almost all of its life. My father bought it in the spring of '68 from Henry Weber Aircraft. It was being used as a demo plane and had about 100TT. It has 2993TT today. It's still a money pit, but we actually do know exactly what has been done to it over the years. 

• Like 2

I have a 67F also and think you could get a mostly stock one up close to 1100 lbs useful.  However I've added several mods to mine and each time the useful comes down a little, but has been worth the trade off to me. 

Here are some off he weight savings I had put in a previous thread. I did not do any of them for the weight savings, but that might as well take advantage of it if you need a new part anyway.  Combined they add up, just like combining several of the speed mods will add up also.

Remove                                             Replace with               Weight Savings

Original Starter                                    Lightweight Starter                10

Original Generator                              lightweight alternator               8

Oil cooler relocation                            Lasar kit                                  2.4

Bendix mags                                       Slick Mags                                3.5

Shock absorber                                  nothing                                     2.2

factory gages+secondary monitor      Primary monitor(JPI900)           6

Hartzell Governor H1                          PCU5000                                  2.4        

Addio panel+ intercom                       GMA 340                                     1

Total Weight Savings                                                                     35.6

I have a 67F also and think you could get a mostly stock one up close to 1100 lbs useful.  However I've added several mods to mine and each time the useful comes down a little, but has been worth the trade off to me.  Here are some off he weight savings I had put in a previous thread. I did not do any of them for the weight savings, but that might as well take advantage of it if you need a new part anyway.  Combined they add up, just like combining several of the speed mods will add up also.

Remove                                             Replace with               Weight Savings

Original Starter                                    Lightweight Starter                10

Original Generator                              lightweight alternator               8

Oil cooler relocation                            Lasar kit                                  2.4

Bendix mags                                       Slick Mags                                3.5

Shock absorber                                  nothing                                     2.2

factory gages+secondary monitor      Primary monitor(JPI900)           6

Hartzell Governor H1                          PCU5000                                  2.4        

Addio panel+ intercom                       GMA 340                                     1

Total Weight Savings                                                                     35.6

My nose wheel strut dampener removal shows a log book entry of a 2.125 lb. weight reduction at arm -5.0.

I've been told that it's possible to bend (or "tweak" with a hammer) the latch release down to make accidental release harder. However, you'd want to ensure it doesn't make intentional release difficult. I've just gotten better at avoiding the latch when swinging the j bar.

Michael

I just rode a Delta flight home and the seat belt buckles were made by Amsafe (same company that made my Ovation buckles).  However, I noticed that the Delta airline buckles have a spring loaded mechanism separate from the actual latch you open with your hand.  This secondary mechanism is what actually locks the buckle, and it does not move until the handle is opened by about 30 degrees.  Perhaps a change to this type of buckle would solve the problem.  I'll look at my buckles again later this weekend but I bet this may be a solution.  I think our buckles release with just a minimum of opening of the buckle handle.

John Breda