Don't be "That Guy"

My dad was a former Marine.  He would have never known as then I would have to explain why I received a ruler to the hand.  End of the story would have been, "I bet you don't do _ _ _ _(fill in what I did) again."

My dad was a Marine. (He retired when I was in 10th grade.) The rules were simple:  don't get in trouble at school, on base or off base. Don't get picked up by the MPs, or expect to stay at least overnight. No beatings necessary. Spankings at home when appropriate, but very few "wait til your father gets home" events, as they were unpleasant.

never got paddled in school, as it would have paled in comparison to Dad's follow up event.

now schools teach kids to report spankings at home to the police, so they can go live in foster care instead of at home. Society is doomed . . .

• Like 5

My dad was a Marine. (He retired when I was in 10th grade.) The rules were simple:  don't get in trouble at school, on base or off base. Don't get picked up by the MPs, or expect to stay at least overnight. No beatings necessary. Spankings at home when appropriate, but very few "wait til your father gets home" events, as they were unpleasant.

never got paddled in school, as it would have paled in comparison to Dad's follow up event.

now schools teach kids to report spankings at home to the police, so they can go live in foster care instead of at home. Society is doomed . . .

Nailed it Hank.  I respected my dad...and grew to love him.  I am, I hope an improvement.  Fear is a powerful motivator...Rarely did I receive a punishment that didn't "fit the crime".  Hearing about it was a lot worse than "getting it".  He was a master of psychological warfare.  Shouldn't be tough on a 6-17 year old though. :)

Edited by MyNameIsNobody
  • Like 1

Interesting! I am a product of parochial school from nursery school all the way through high school. I started nursery school in '77 and graduated high school in '92. I can say with absolute certainty that during that time that no nun, priest nor brother ever put a hand on me. 

I don't know if your parochial school experience was in Hagerstown, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that up the road about 75 miles in Frostburg, the nuns at St. Michael's in the late '60s liberally used all manner of physical punishment, both manual and mechanical.

• Like 2

I don't know if your parochial school experience was in Hagerstown, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that up the road about 75 miles in Frostburg, the nuns at St. Michael's in the late '60s liberally used all manner of physical punishment, both manual and mechanical.

Those kinky nuns!

Im also a former Marine and I thank my comrades Semper Fi . Hank if pop's still around tell him one of your guys you rap with sends a hearty thank you. You were blessed to have him. In those days we did not get the positive respect or acceptance as the military does today. We were treated like outcasts. That's one of the better traits our society has ,realizing there are people out there risking there ass's to help keep our country safe. I'm sure you have heard stories either directly or indirectly about the ass whooping he took on a daily basis for the better part of four months, I was not at PI for five minutes before I was punched in the stomach for smiling and not getting on the yellow feet  fast enough. When did pop serve? 

Edited by Danb
  • Like 1

Dan, Dad retired effective 10 November 78, with 23 years in. Started in the reserves to earn college money, talked his way into Pensacola as an Officer Cadet. Came out flying transport helicopters, through several non-pilot-preventable accidents (the last one, the tail rotor fell off at 500 feet) that made him turn in his wings. I think the worst part for him was after his return from Vietnam the second time, just before I started first grade, so I was blissfully unaware. He has talked a little lately about bad treatment from strangers on the street, diving out of bed after loud noises at night, etc.

He's doing pretty well now, though, with new knees and hearing aids. I've taken him to ride in the Mooney a couple of times, but it's hard for him to get in. I do use it to visit him, although getting around Atlanta is a pain. They don't let ANYBODY through the Bravo! Those nice T-routes were made just to clutter up the low enroutes and not to be used to expedite traffic across the Bravo.

Guess I got a good launch in life, well grounded in practicality and responsibility, so unlike what I see happening around me every day now. The world never has been and never will be black and white, but it always has been quite hard and it will remain that way, no matter how rapidly or closely helicopter parents orbit their kids and clamor for everyone to get awards and trophies, to say nothing of the dumbing down of our classrooms.

• Like 3

Hank sounds like one helluva guy, our world needs more like him. I'm sure when you were growing up is was quite tough on you I'm also sure your a much better man for it. I went back to Parris Island a few years ago to see if my blood had been cleaned up after 40 some odd years. I was amazed at how young the guards looked, like 12 yrs old. Quite respective and polite though, you could see the importance of respect and responsibility coming from the young guys. I have to assume we also looked like puppies I was the smallest in my platoon at a whopping 119 lbs. your pop came through at a tough time God bless him..have a great night

Dan

• Like 1

Hank sounds like one helluva guy, our world needs more like him. I'm sure when you were growing up is was quite tough on you I'm also sure your a much better man for it. I went back to Parris Island a few years ago to see if my blood had been cleaned up after 40 some odd years. I was amazed at how young the guards looked, like 12 yrs old. Quite respective and polite though, you could see the importance of respect and responsibility coming from the young guys. I have to assume we also looked like puppies I was the smallest in my platoon at a whopping 119 lbs. your pop came through at a tough time God bless him..have a great night

Dan

+1

Hank sounds like one helluva guy, our world needs more like him. I'm sure when you were growing up is was quite tough on you I'm also sure your a much better man for it. I went back to Parris Island a few years ago to see if my blood had been cleaned up after 40 some odd years.....

Dan

+1 

I too, am amazed at how young our soldiers look now. Also agree that they look 12 yrs old.

What I am certain of, is that these kids can do the same job we asked of our own soldiers in our own commands in our day.  Like my boys, they have learned respect and responsibility. 

We should never stop thanking them.  Some of them will give up a great deal for the choice they have made.  Je me souviens.

Edited by Ned Gravel
  • Like 2

+1 

I too, am amazed at how young our soldiers look now. Also agree that they look 12 yrs old.

What I am certain of, is that these kids can do the same job we asked of our own soldiers in our own commands in our day.  Like my boys, they have learned respect and responsibility. 

We should never stop thanking them.  Some of them will give up a great deal for the choice they have made.  Je me souviens.

Ned,

It's too bad that our governments won't give back to our soldiers even a small fraction after all they willingly give up for their country when asked.

Clarence

Clarence can't help his spelling. His schoolbooks were all written by Brits. We had Samuel Johnson and Noah Webster who took out a lot of superfluous letters, but unfortunately left us with many silent letters in French-derived words. At least things like "whilst" have disappeared down here . . .   :D

They did get paid.  Today's soldier's volunteered.  Not so much back in Vietnam.

Canada has had its brushes with conscription too.  As late as the Korean War.   With much the same outcome as y'all.  

But we should not confuse the motivations of the young men and women to take up the profession of arms in the service of their nation today, with some form of payment.  They know they have the potential of paying the ultimate penalty for their decision.  Not one of them followed me into harm's way because of the paycheque.  No one.  

Edited by Ned Gravel

Clarence-

I didn't realize Canada had the same issues with its returning soldiers, thanks for sharing.

Now if only I can figure out what a "cheque" is.  Is it metric?

Sadly, yes it's the same.  We have soldiers who have to prove that their lost limb did not grow back over the last year in order to keep benefits.  Yet at the same time you can be sure the politicians get their's without question.

Whether a soldier volunteered or was voluntold, it is the duty of the nation to take care of them and their family when they return.  If we don't posses that basic decency we should not send them in to harms way.  Freedom is not free.

Clarence

Canada has had its brushes with conscription too.  As late as the Korean War.   With much the same outcome as y'all.  

But we should not confuse the motivations of the young men and women to do take up the profession of arms in the service of their nation today, with some form of payment.  They know they have the potential of paying the ultimate penalty for their decision.  Not one of them followed me into harm's way because of the paycheque.  No one.  

Agree 100%, though I did not serve in combat, so can't say with impunity.  I do feel that vets just want to be accepted and acknowledged for their service...EXCEPT those that were seriously wounded.  I hate to read Marcus Luttrell talking about how awful the VA is and how he would never go to the VA for treatment.  THAT is where we can and MUST provide for our soldiers that are trying to rebuild their battered bodies and minds.  Quality prompt medical service.  THAT is a debt we owe our troops for their service.  The VA has failed based on articles I have read.

• Like 1