Don't be "That Guy"

Went out to the airport semi early this morning (Friday) to do a full wash on the 231. KCXL Calexico CA is a very small airport with only about a dozen aircraft on the field. US Customs is on site so there is some traffic crossing the border to and from Mexico. This morning however there were 2 Falcons on the ramp. It is rare to see large aircraft here. N8200E and N8300E are both from Emerson Electric. Maybe they are thinking about a plant in Mexicali given that the peso is really taking a bath just now.

At about 6:45a one of the APUs started up. I think it was on N8300E. About a half hour later he started his main engines, taxied, and took off. I was using the wash pad at the time, about 500 feet away, and I had my handheld radio on CTAF. I never heard a word on the radio until he was at about 4000' and departing the area to the east. I asked the guy in the office if he heard anything on the radio when the Falcon departed and he told me no.

Now, I know there is little traffic here at 7:15a but I was there at the airport. I could have just as well decided to fly as to wash. I could very well have been on short final to RWY 26 - hidden by the very low rising sun. I don't know what goes through a pilot's mind when he makes a bonehead move like that. Is a big time Falcon pilot too good to make a radio call? Don't be that guy.

Dave

• Like 1

I don't know what goes through a pilot's mind when he makes a bonehead move like that. Is a big time Falcon pilot too good to make a radio call? Don't be that guy.

Dave

Agreed, but I will tell you that some of these guys depend on their TCAS to see and avoid in the local pattern.  The lesson for us is "be sure to turn on your mode C transponder so you will be seen by these idiots".

Now there is the other side of the story:  so often in a jet we come boming into the local pattern making all the calls on the CTAF and never hear a peep, but there is a guy we see on TCAS who isn't saying a thing.  We don't  know if he's  aware  of us, or not.

Don't be that guy either.

• Like 1

This is amusing fun talk about grammar but a serious experience just the other night has me fired up!

Wife and I went to our twins' back to school night. Back to school is when parents go to the school and rotate through their kids' schedule of classes in the classrooms to meet the teachers.

Our twin boys are juniors in high school this year. They happened to be in the same class for US History AP. The teacher, who was also an English teacher before, gave a brief presentation of course goals and expectations etc. etc. There's a lot of writing in her class and somehow some parent brought up the question of how important is proper spelling! That's odd I thought to my self...your kid is in US History AP and you're questioning his spelling?? I turned to my wife discreetly for some reassurance that I heard right! 

Then the bomb drops! The teacher proceeded to explain that she does not emphasize and will not penalize her students for bad spelling!!! Yes folks! A junior in a high school AP course about to enter college is not held accountable for spelling!!! Forget grammar! We're talking spelling! I had heard enough and was about to blow up. Good thing my wife was there to keep me calm.

I did have a little chat with the teacher afterwards and that's when the third bomb dropped! She did agree and did say it was very true and disturbing! But there are enough complaining parents who don't want theor kid getting a bad grade for such "trivial" things.

Really?! Is this what we're allowing?? Are we so quicly becoming a society of dumbies with smart phones walking around bumping into each other! Sad...very sad! Am I overeacting for nothing?

(...there...three periods!)

Edited by PTK
  • Like 2

Went out to the airport semi early this morning (Friday) to do a full wash on the 231. KCXL Calexico CA is a very small airport with only about a dozen aircraft on the field. US Customs is on site so there is some traffic crossing the border to and from Mexico. This morning however there were 2 Falcons on the ramp. It is rare to see large aircraft here. N8200E and N8300E are both from Emerson Electric. Maybe they are thinking about a plant in Mexicali given that the peso is really taking a bath just now.

At about 6:45a one of the APUs started up. I think it was on N8300E. About a half hour later he started his main engines, taxied, and took off. I was using the wash pad at the time, about 500 feet away, and I had my handheld radio on CTAF. I never heard a word on the radio until he was at about 4000' and departing the area to the east. I asked the guy in the office if he heard anything on the radio when the Falcon departed and he told me no.

Now, I know there is little traffic here at 7:15a but I was there at the airport. I could have just as well decided to fly as to wash. I could very well have been on short final to RWY 26 - hidden by the very low rising sun. I don't know what goes through a pilot's mind when he makes a bonehead move like that. Is a big time Falcon pilot too good to make a radio call? Don't be that guy.

Dave

My bet is that he'd been on CTAF freq with the TCAS on since shortly after the APU's were started up. If you'd been in the pattern, he'd have heard you and notified you of his intentions. I agree it would have been a good idea to make one call, but some folks take brevity to extreme. Some folks do the opposite and call every pattern turn, pattern location and taxi turn when they're the only one at the field. 

On 10/3/2015 at 9:19 AM, PTK said:

This talk about grammar and a recent experience just the other night has me fired up!

Wife and I went to our twins' back to school night. Back to school is when parents go to the school and rotate through their kids' schedule in the classes and meet the teachers.

Our twin boys are juniors in high school this year. They happened to be in the same class for US History AP. The teacher, who was also an English teacher before, gave a brief presentation of course goals and expectations etc. etc. There's a lot of writing in her class and somehow some parent brought up the question of proper grammar and spelling! That's odd I thought to my self...your kid is in US History AP and you're questioning his spelling?? Then the bomb drops! The teacher proceeded to explain that she does not emphasize and will not penalize her students for bad spelling!!! Yes folks! A junior in a high school AP course about to enter college is not held accountable for spelling!!! I had heard enough and was about to blow myself. Good thing my wife was there to calm me down!

Really?! Is this what we're allowing?? We're quicly becoming a society of dumbies with smart phones walking around bumping into each other! Sad...very sad!

(...there...three periods!)

When I was in high school ('92 grad), public school teachers would notate spelling and grammar mistakes on your paper and perhaps subtract a few points if the mistakes were egregious. For the most part, written assignments were graded purely on content. I also went to several private schools where writing skills were emphasized across the curriculum. I had decent writing skills in HS and college, but what really pushed me to polish my writing was communicating in the business world. Shame is a strong motivator for me. I've become quite critical of myself over the years. Even here, I edit about 75% of my posts. I am a  mediocre speller and that is not likely to change.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

Sorry guys if  I thought grammar and spelling were important on a forum I use for pleasure then I'd have my staff critique my lack of writing skills as I do in the office. Working along with lawyers and other professionals on a daily basis is when my communication skills are utilized. IMHO liberal arts suck making colleges and universities rich. Having two post graduate degrees wasted a quite of my time, effort and money. I could give a rats ass if my physician utilizes those skills, I pay him for quality medical advice and procedural work. Do I care if he's operating on my heart if he can spell operate! 

Math, science and other types of professional education is what will make one wealthy. 

Ross do you actually believe when I taught college I cared about grammar and spelling. I was more interested in educating my students in the curriculum they were investing themselves in.

When going to Catholic school I had enough torture from the nuns in there effort to try and educate me in the English language, they failed not me I used my time learning a skill set that earned me quite a bit of money.

This also must be my first post without my great run on segments or triple periods.

Well that's enough bashing the poor liberal arts folks they need to be there so all our younger people can spend there hard earned money on that extra year or two in college at $40-$50 K per year.

Now back to flying so I can have some enjoyment.

• Like 3

Sorry guys if  I thought grammar and spelling were important on a forum I use for pleasure then I'd have my staff critique my lack of writing skills as I do in the office. Working along with lawyers and other professionals on a daily basis is when my communication skills are utilized. IMHO liberal arts suck making colleges and universities rich. Having two post graduate degrees wasted a quite of my time, effort and money. I could give a rats ass if my physician utilizes those skills, I pay him for quality medical advice and procedural work. Do I care if he's operating on my heart if he can spell operate! 

Math, science and other types of professional education is what will make one wealthy. 

Ross do you actually believe when I taught college I cared about grammar and spelling. I was more interested in educating my students in the curriculum they were investing themselves in.

When going to Catholic school I had enough torture from the nuns in there effort to try and educate me in the English language, they failed not me I used my time learning a skill set that earned me quite a bit of money.

This also must be my first post without my great run on segments or triple periods.

Well that's enough bashing the poor liberal arts folks they need to be there so all our younger people can spend there hard earned money on that extra year or two in college at $40-$50 K per year.

I wasn't judging, just relaying my experience. Not too long ago, when I was in the corporate world, I fired off an email to my supervisor regarding our bank's lending policy. I was 33 at the time and relatively young to have a VP title (not that it's that exclusive in modern banking).  I received two emails in connection with the original. The first was her CCing me on the forward to 2 "C level" execs and the other was a note telling me how much she appreciated the content. I was really glowing until I reread my original email. I felt 2 feet tall. I'm not as casual about writing as I once was. I found out the hard way, you never know who will end up reading it. It reads as though you've achieved such a high level of success that you couldn't care less what someone thinks of you or how you communicate. I admire that...truly I do. However, I'm not there yet.

I agree wholeheartedly that a liberal arts education is not a good value at today's prices. I paid my own way through a state school. College tought me about time management, money management and discipline. I didn't come out with a lot of technical knowledge.

Holy thread creep!

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

Maybe I am old school, but when I see poor spelling and grammar I can't help but to think that person has been poorly educated. 

• Like 1

Guys I appreciate you interest in usage of proper grammar. Since this was assumed to be a casual forum your basis for formulation of such an opinion is obviously without foundation. I'm far from being poorly educated, unless of course the only education being measured is the skill set of proper writing skills.

I also paid for my own education while trying to get back to work from an injury, I had a three year old at home and needed to acquire my education while making a few bucks along the way for novel items such as food. I went from zero education to two Masters degrees and passing the CPA exam all in one sitting at that time the pass rate for the exam approximated 5% and less in one shot in five years. I'm not blowing my horn just trying to depict that what you may see on the surface may be form over substance. It's easy to judge without merit. Look at many who hold Doctorate degrees many look like they fell off a garbage truck. But there accomplishments are vast and many have an IQ off the charts, a lot forget to bath, but there smart.

• Like 2

Please, keep in mind. . .

Not everyone here is fortunate enough to be a good speller of the English language. English for some, is a second language. Others may be learning to spell again, as if they forgot one day.

It is the content that counts.  Do the best you can, with what you have, to get your point across. Try to put your thoughts into a paragraph. Don't spread it out one line at a time.  More people will continue to read your ideas when it is easier for them to read. Try to re-read your post to improve accuracy. Siri can help your spelling and she can obliterate a sentence by choosing an inappropriate word for you.  Unfortunately, she can't help you with the teachers at 'back to school night'.  Send the Mrs for that job.  She is the best teammate for the job.

Spelling and word retrieval skills are stored in different parts of the brain than math and logic skills. Some of us have both types of skills, some of us don't. Fear of being made fun of will keep some people from typing a question. How many times have you seen a sentence posted like, 'long time reader, first time posting' followed up with 'I just bought...'?

If you have good writing tools, share them with somebody in need.  My friend has recently been promoted to VP at a large Pharma company.  English is his second language.  I used to help him put presentations together and finalize papers and important emails.  Proof that good spelling is important.  It clearly is not a reason to point out somebody else's weakness.

MooneySpace and GA still welcomes everybody. Even people with crummy spelling. Do the best you can with what you got. :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I have the scars of going to Catholic grade school as well. Here is what my hand looks like today after years of nuns "teaching" me how to hold a pencil correctly.

f85ab745eee33225a72b6263af55381a.jpg

The order of nuns who ran our parochial school were the "Sisters of Mercy". Seemed appropriate at the time as I remember repeatedly crying out "Mercy sister mercy!"

• Like 1

Chris I started off poorly in parochial school in first grade Sister Abana put me under her desk for talking yes I couldn't shut up then either, another mistake except I'm not sure if it Sister A's or mine but just imagine a little six year old looking up at the black dress black huge shoes and all and the little guy decides to see whether she also had black underwear on. I got the S kicked out of me before I found out. Last time under the desk though,

• Like 1

Anthony the difference was the nuns used a ruler or pointer stick ouch!  The brothers just punched your lights out, go home in those days and tell on them then mommy kicks our ass, all that is gone in our current society. I know that in 1966 they would still punch you. I was across the river in Del. County. A friend of mine back talked Brother Ronald and was actually knocked out and had stitches in his mouth, were fortunate it has stopped.

Edited by Danb
  • Like 2

Guys I appreciate you interest in usage of proper grammar. Since this was assumed to be a casual forum your basis for formulation of such an opinion is obviously without foundation. I'm far from being poorly educated, unless of course the only education being measured is the skill set of proper writing skills.

I also paid for my own education while trying to get back to work from an injury, I had a three year old at home and needed to acquire my education while making a few bucks along the way for novel items such as food. I went from zero education to two Masters degrees and passing the CPA exam all in one sitting at that time the pass rate for the exam approximated 5% and less in one shot in five years. I'm not blowing my horn just trying to depict that what you may see on the surface may be form over substance. It's easy to judge without merit. Look at many who hold Doctorate degrees many look like they fell off a garbage truck. But there accomplishments are vast and many have an IQ off the charts, a lot forget to bath, but there smart.

I never suggested that you were or appeared to be poorly educated. I also agree that grammar and spelling have nothing to do with intelligence. The smartest guy I know is one of my best friends from college who is an engineer and a true mathematical genius. He can barely form a sentence let alone write one!

Interesting! I am a product of parochial school from nursery school all the way through high school. I started nursery school in '77 and graduated high school in '92. I can say with absolute certainty that during that time that no nun, priest nor brother ever put a hand on me. When I was at Texas Military Intitute, Professor Espino had a wiffleball bat that he referred to as the "singing sword". I do recall being swatted with that a time or two in front of the class, though it never hurt. He was a class act in every way though. I remember when I was hospitalized in 7th grade with a nasty compound fracture. He called me at the beginning of our geology class and told me that I was in their thoughts and prayers and then asked the class to stand and have a moment of silence for me. He then said he hoped to see me next week and hung up.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

Interesting! I am a product of parochial school from nursery school all the way through high school. I started nursery school in '77 and graduated high school in '92. I can say with absolute certainty that during that time that no nun, priest nor brother ever put a hand on me. When I was, Professor Espino did have a wiffleball bat that he referred to as the "singing sword". I do recall being swatted with that a time or two in front of the class, though it never hurt. He was a class act in every way though. I remember when I was hospitalized in 7th grade with a nasty compound fracture. He called me at the beginning of our geology class and told me that I was in their thoughts and prayers and called the class to stand and have a moment of silence for me. He then said he hoped to see me next week

For those of us who graduated high school before you started nursery school, we can show you the scars, both physical and mental.

• Like 1

You guys had it easy in parochial schools with rulers and wiffleball bats! Piece of cake! 

I used to get beaten with a stick. A piece of wood. A freshly cut piece of wood! The teacher would make us go and bring it to him too! And let me tell you it hurt! Ten lashes in each palm wasn't fun! I remember going home one day with palms so swollen I couldn't grasp a pencil right! If I dared complain or even say anything I'd get more at home!

Those were the good old days!

Edited by PTK
  • Like 1

Sorry to hijack and pimp CLEP but you guys know your kids can CLEP out of the liberal arts classes.  CLEP costs 80 bucks a test and they are universally accepted just as AP credit is since they are from the College Board.  Most kids aren't motivsted enough to read the CLEP study guide and take some practice test so instead they spend thousands of their parents dollars sitting in US History classes while a post doc whines about how little they are paid.

• Like 1

I have the scars of going to Catholic grade school as well. Here is what my hand looks like today after years of nuns "teaching" me how to hold a pencil correctly.

f85ab745eee33225a72b6263af55381a.jpg

The order of nuns who ran our parochial school were the "Sisters of Mercy". Seemed appropriate at the time as I remember repeatedly crying out "Mercy sister mercy!"

I hope you're kidding.  One time a teacher hit my older brother across the back of his hand with the steel edge of a ruler cutting him open fairly well.   My brother walked home several miles at recess to show my mother.  The next day my father went to the school to politely but firmly explain that no one there would be striking or injuring his children.  If it were to happen again he would come back to dish out the same to the teacher and principal.  Thankfully standards have changed.

Clarence

Chris I started off poorly in parochial school in first grade Sister Abana put me under her desk for talking yes I couldn't shut up then either, another mistake except I'm not sure if it Sister A's or mine but just imagine a little six year old looking up at the black dress black huge shoes and all and the little guy decides to see whether she also had black underwear on. I got the S kicked out of me before I found out. Last time under the desk though,

Rumour has it they are really men.  You were so close to ending that one.

I hope you're kidding.  One time a teacher hit my older brother across the back of his hand with the steel edge of a ruler cutting him open fairly well.   My brother walked home several miles at recess to show my mother.  The next day my father went to the school to politely but firmly explain that no one there would be striking or injuring his children.  If it were to happen again he would come back to dish out the same to the teacher and principal.  Thankfully standards have changed.

Clarence

My dad was a former Marine.  He would have never known as then I would have to explain why I received a ruler to the hand.  End of the story would have been, "I bet you don't do _ _ _ _(fill in what I did) again."

Edited by MyNameIsNobody