Don't be "That Guy"

Unfortunately, GA is a shell of its former self most everywhere.  Saturdays are slack days in the 135 world, so I spend a lot of time sitting at little airports watching little airplanes....or, more correctly, not watching them.  While Saturdays used to be busy days for general aviation, so many of the airports have virtually nothing going on.  Most of the FBO's say it it weren't for business flying, there wouldn't be any flying at all.

On Saturdays of yore the FBO's were full of instructors and students briefing while the pattern was full of people staying current.

Now, mostly.....nothing/no one.

I would be hopeful that the falling price of avgas might turn the situation around, but too many FBO's are not dropping their prices.  Sitting here in PWM today, SS avgas is $6.10, FS is $6.60.

Is it greed, or survival?

might be a little of both but more me thinks more greed than survival.

I don't know what happened to GA.

When I was doing my PPL back in 1990 at PNE the place was busting at the seams.  The FBO was always busy and the airplanes were always booked at least a week out. 

Today my old flight school is gone. 

I go there sometimes to shoot approaches and chat with the tower girls! 

Edited by PTK
  • Like 1

I blame the Internet, or more accurately electronics, social media, TV, etc.  all mindless things that require zero effort.  Aviation generally speaking is a hobby, my guess is all hobbies are in a down turn, model railroads, scratch built models, woodworking, car renovation, etc.  maybe I am wrong, but my 9 y.o. Son would rather watch you tube all day, if I would let him, but I don't.  He has no interest in airplanes, the RC helicopters/drones, trains, etc.  stuff I would have killed to have when I was 9.  Anyway.

• Like 4

Flying just isn't practical. You really have to want to do it. I took my first discovery ride in a C172 7 years ago. After landing, I was ecstatic and asked the instructor where to sign up. He frowned and told me the flight school was going out of business and the plane back to the bank next week. 5 instructors, 2 airports, 4 flight schools and 4 planes later (and about 1 year and $10k) I had my PPL. I rented a C172SP for a flight to grandma's that cost me over $1300 (300nm each way, 3 days). With weather, regulations, gas prices, law suits, new planes costing $1mm, media bashing and sensationalism of crashes, its hard to believe GA survives at all. If it wasn't for wing nuts like us and county airports it wouldn't. If you see a pilot, give him a smile and handshake, even if he was on the wrong freq and flying opposite runway in a pattern fit for a space shuttle. Stop and talk with the guy blocking the gas pump and find out what he is up to and where he is going as you help him push his plane out of the way. We all need each other! I have only meet a few pilots I didn't like. Most are courteous and when mistakes are made they own up to it and welcome discussion. That is the guy I try to be, most of the time!

• Like 7

There are about 5000 GA airports in the US. Non part 91 flights operate out of about 10% of those. That leaves about 4500 airports for GA.

What's missing is a concerted effort to promote GA to the public. For example, when was the last time we saw an ad on tv promoting GA? A superbowl ad or similar maybe? Anything? A marketing campaign? 

What we're doing instead is we're playing defense and damage control from ignorant reporters.

Defense is good but doesn't score. To score goals we need a good offense as well.

Edited by PTK

Flying just isn't practical. You really have to want to do it. I took my first discovery ride in a C172 7 years ago. After landing, I was ecstatic and asked the instructor where to sign up. He frowned and told me the flight school was going out of business and the plane back to the bank next week. 5 instructors, 2 airports, 4 flight schools and 4 planes later (and about 1 year and $10k) I had my PPL. I rented a C172SP for a flight to grandma's that cost me over $1300 (300nm each way, 3 days). With weather, regulations, gas prices, law suits, new planes costing $1mm, media bashing and sensationalism of crashes, its hard to believe GA survives at all. If it wasn't for wing nuts like us and county airports it wouldn't. If you see a pilot, give him a smile and handshake, even if he was on the wrong freq and flying opposite runway in a pattern fit for a space shuttle. Stop and talk with the guy blocking the gas pump and find out what he is up to and where he is going as you help him push his plane out of the way. We all need each other! I have only meet a few pilots I didn't like. Most are courteous and when mistakes are made they own up to it and welcome discussion. That is the guy I try to be, most of the time!

Here is full scenario last Saturday.  I announce my landing and land.  Back taxi.  Exit Runway taxi to fuel my plane.  Mooney Ovation blocking pump with bags on the ground.  I pull up and begin to unload.  Son heads for cottage on bike.  At some point pilot came out of terminal and was tugging his plane across the ramp to tie down.  I ran over and said "Can I give you a hand"?  His response "That would be nice"....I asked if base of prop is O.K.  His response "Yes".  I stated that I was surprised how easy his bird was to tow, It is a beauty.  His response "When ramp is not hot it is easier".  I said Have a great weekend.  His response "You too".  REALLY?  If you are reading that and can't understand what was missing...I am NOT going to say anything to someone this obtuse....EVER.  This was not his first rodeo...I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove to me they ARE an asshole.  I just choose to limit my "asshole" time to a minimum when I am on my time having fun.  Maybe THAT is what he thought too...

There are about 5000 GA airports in the US. Non part 91 flights operate out of about 10% of those. That leaves about 4500 airports for GA.

What's missing is a concerted effort to promote GA to the public. For example, when was the last time we saw an ad on tv promoting GA? A superbowl ad or similar maybe? Anything? A marketing campaign? 

What we're doing instead is we're playing defense and damage control from ignorant reporters.

Defense is good but doesn't score. To score goals we need a good offense as well.

I agree.  If you know someone out there with the money and inclination to back a national marketing campaign please have them contact AOPA. 

Edited by GeorgePerry
  • Like 2

I agree.  If you know someone out there with the money and inclination to back a national marketing campaign please have the contact AOPA. 

Has anyone else had as much trouble as I have getting people (who indicated they were interested) to get started. I have gotten them into the AOPA program to give them a free magazine subscription, invited them to the airport for a ride and to get a tour, etc. I have been through 3 so far, and can't get them to move.

I got hooked up with a Dr. around Cherry Hill who school teaches his three kids, now the kids are working on an assignment about flying, general aviation etc., after their done their driving down to Wilmington de and see an airport touch a plane..I may talk to the tower to see if they can see it...then the surprise I'm taking them up for a ride, me two kids ..then the Dr and another kid and he may bring one..

the Doc told me there going crazy learning about aviation and wil be overwhelmed and ecstatic..he said there having a lot of fun now doing research looking forward to the field trip

the doc said there are 40 families in the group that meets every couple weeks to work on the curriculum...I'm now assuming my Mooney will be a vagabond traveler for the next yr..

i can't wait I hope there eyes light up when they go down the runway..I'll be having the most fun

just something we can do for the youth.. if we can get the parents on board ... I hope I can just inspire one to want to continue and have the bug instead of playing with his phone and electronic games..

Edited by Danb
Spelling
  • Like 3