How much crank endplay do you feel on prop, IO 360

garytex

The troubles started when the cylinders were changed.  There are really few choices for the cause, the cylinder wall to piston clearance is wrong or the bearings are pinched.  Get together with your mechanic and eliminate them one at a time to find the cause, then fix as required.

Tight cylinder wall to piston fit won't tighten the crank and eliminate any signs of end play, unless I missing something.

Clarence

My engine and N201er's engines both have single digit thousandths of end play. We checked them  

And he he has flown it 5 hours already yet no metal in the filter. If it was a shifted bearing it would have lots of metal in the filter. If it was a spun bearing it would have destroyed the engine in 30 minutes. 

What has been changed was cylinders and they are new and tight. 

I just went though this scare myself and you know what, I didn't split the case and it's still going, 70 hours later. 

Im not saying he doesn't have some sort of issue, but it's a long stretch to justify pulling the engine off and tearing it down. 

A a friend of mind had a slick mag fail, got talked into buying two new ones. Right after that #4 runs at 430 degrees.  The mechanic said the cam is bad that's that. He believed it. Shipped the engine for major overhaul. The shop called after tear down the whole thing measures new limits. 30 grand later he has an engine, with a 430 degree #4.  Turns out one of the new mags was bad. 34 grand for a bad mag. 

Edited by jetdriven

I've removed all cylinder at the same time with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Never an issue thank God. Keep in mind there is a fwd attach bolt and aft bolt assy on some engines separate of the cylinder attach studs, that keep the case attach and in line. Now oil pressure of an engine is the direct result of bearing clearance. So excessive bearing clearance with the mains being the main corporate. Will directly show the health of the rotating assy. Excessive clearance in those areas will allow the bearing to turn once the clamping pressure is lessen. I'm with Doc get your A&P to look at this he will find the issue. If you where closer by the Houston area I would give you a hand. To check the cylinders doesn't constitute tearing the engine down, but removing 1 cylinder at the time will point somewhere. I just finished an engine where it ran lousy and used a tremendous amount of oil. Once I took the cylinder off, the scored bad skirt galled. just 1 wiper on the oil control ring. And ring gaps that where a joke. Fix all and it rungs great!!!!        

Edited by rob47v