VW Dilemma

Piloto

I looked. (WingX delivered weather)

What I see...

First half of the trip has VFR, but bands of rain continue in the direction of your flight.

Second half of the trip has low ceilings everywhere around KRDU.  Current Wind speeds are not very fast.  The weather will be changing with time...

What time will you be departing?

My concerns are probably different than yours.  

I prefer flying at high altitudes to add long gliding distance to the tool box. The East coast is full of airports in the event of emergency. Adjusting your flight plan to be more safe and less efficient may help relieve some stress...

I like ceilings above 1k' for the ability of setting up an off field landing that does not include houses.

Flying a FIKI O Is as good a tool as any.

Monitoring the weather on ADSB will show where the rain showers are at and the direction they are going.

With my lack of IFR currency, I would prefer not landing in those bands of rain. They are currently showing brighter colors than garden variety greens.

What is your plan B?

best regards,

-a-

You post this on the wrong thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll bite,

dont really care since I don't own or operate a diesel I think as a fuel its fine especially if you have to move a heavy load (longer carbon chain) means more power. Any way none of us has any right to bitch as we operate some of the dirtiest engines mostly for pleasure and we should do whatever is possible to not get onto their radars any more than we already are. You want to save the planet then quit buying newer better cars and keep the one you have takes a lot more energy to make a new car than you will ever save buy an improvement in fuel mileage. On a personal note how much pollution do you think was released by all the fires here out west . Fires the would not have been nearly as destructive or intense if the so called environmentalists would have allowed the industry to continue to manage then like before now there is so much fuel when they go they go big. All the Volkswagens in the world can't even come close to producing the amount of carbon emissions as one of these fires.

fire away (pun intended)

^^^this! For the most part Eco cars are a fashion or lifestyle statement. My DD is an 18 year old 4L V8 with 23X,XXX miles. I have owned it for 12yrs and 180,000 of those miles.  It has required very little in the way of unscheduled MX, I have had to do zero exhaust work (still has original O2 sensors). The only thing to fail is the rear diff at 220,000mls. I will likely put another 100,000 on it before selling it.  Even with the poor mileage (relatively speaking, it does about 23mpg combined if you keep your foot out of it),  I would bet I have consumed far less in resources than a person that has purchased 4 new Eco cars during the same time period.

• Like 2

The issue with VW is not that their engines don't meet emissions standards.

They have two problems:

1. VW said many times that their diesel engines meet emissions standards when they don't.
  2. To avoid fines, penalties and bad press for said failures, they rigged their engine control software for a special "testing" mode that will pass certification testing, but change for more power and dirtier exhaust when being driven.

#1 carries a small fine per vehicle. They have sold many vehicles. This one is simple math, leading to a large number.

#2 rightly carries a whopping big fine in each country where it has/will be found. This keeps the other players in line. If it puts VW out of business, tough for them, they shouldn't have cheated. I have no sympathy for lying, cheating b@st@rds, just other Cheap B@stards. If you don't want to play by the rules, don't voluntarily jump into the game.

• Like 2

They have two problems:

1. VW said many times that their diesel engines meet emissions standards when they don't.
  2. To avoid fines, penalties and bad press for said failures, they rigged their engine control software for a special "testing" mode that will pass certification testing, but change for more power and dirtier exhaust when being driven.

#1 carries a small fine per vehicle. They have sold many vehicles. This one is simple math, leading to a large number.

#2 rightly carries a whopping big fine in each country where it has/will be found. This keeps the other players in line. If it puts VW out of business, tough for them, they shouldn't have cheated. I have no sympathy for lying, cheating b@st@rds, just other Cheap B@stards. If you don't want to play by the rules, don't voluntarily jump into the game.

you... do realize... that VW is the largest car maker in the world, right? This won't put them out of business..

They have two problems:

should this apply to banks and brokerage firms? Or just car makers?

• Like 1

should this apply to banks and brokerage firms? Or just car makers?

it should apply to everyone, including us pilots. Knowing, intentional violations should carry larger penalties than accidental violations. Hiding a known violation is worse; cheating and creating false appearance of proper conduct while violating the rules should be steeper still. Kinda like VFR into IMC often turns out. 

it should apply to everyone, including us pilots. 

Pilots on Mooneyspace get a dispensation when describing how fast their Mooneys are.  This is never lying, cheating, or exaggerating.  It is merely using an "elastic scale".

Hank, it is all in the verbage.....and, of course, the meaning of the word "is".  :ph34r:

Our ethics have been forever changed!

("It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true.")

it should apply to everyone, including us pilots. Knowing, intentional violations should carry larger penalties than accidental violations. Hiding a known violation is worse; cheating and creating false appearance of proper conduct while violating the rules should be steeper still. Kinda like VFR into IMC often turns out. 

I believe the acronym is TBTF...

you... do realize... that VW is the largest car maker in the world, right? This won't put them out of business..

Good, then they can pay their fines. Just make it steep enough they won't try it, or something like it, again.

What about Ford and their Pinto, GM ignition switches, SUV roll overs, Firestone tires, massive oil spills, the list goes on and on.  If the head of the company and the board of directors were tossed in jail while the investigation takes place you'd see a quick change in company policy.

Clarence

Let's throw the shareholders in jail too!  Yeah!  And the assembly-line workers and their supervisors that assembled the parts!  Yeah!  And the suppliers of the parts all over the world!  YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Greedy Corporate SOB's....Get the pitfchforks!  Start the bumper sticker printing presses!

What a joke.  Dead-On regarding the forest management practices and the result.  At least they have a lot of water out in California to put the fires out...and grow crops.  How many coal burning diesels equel the pollution created from those fires?  The VW scandal is a gob of RedMan in the bottom of the Spitoon in comparison to a Colorado River running Orange and Red with liquid death....Selective anger.  Gotta love it.

• Like 3

They have two problems:

Can the car be driven so it meets the emissions standards?    If so, what's the problem?  It's just got drastically different emissions when outside of government test  conditions.  Based on my nose test, many turbo cars pump out excess emissions under hard acceleration. 

Apparently when driven on the road, emissions are forty times allowable limits. When operated on a test stand, emissions are below limits. WVU out a test unit in the trunk and drove around, finding the difference. Oops!

Apparently when driven on the road, emissions are forty times allowable limits. When operated on a test stand, emissions are below limits. WVU out a test unit in the trunk and drove around, finding the difference. Oops!

Negative. The car can certainly meet emissions regs on the road. However, the "character"of the car will be changed significantly. A stock 2015 Jetta 2L TDI will rip off 8sec 0-60 runs and complete the 1/4 mile in the low 16s. It will also give better than 40mpgs if driven gently. The car is capable of all of the above and it's also capable of meeting emission standards. It is not however, capable of doing both at the same time...

• Like 1

Can the car be driven so it meets the emissions standards?    If so, what's the problem?  It's just got drastically different emissions when outside of government test  conditions.  Based on my nose test, many turbo cars pump out excess emissions under hard acceleration. 

Makes me wonder if consumers were given the choice (say with a switch) between performance mode and green mode, which they would choose most of the time. 

Something I think a lot of green folk forget.  It takes a huge amount of energy to build a car.  So any green person that is getting a new car every two years, no matter how fuel efficient and emissions efficient, is spending a big carbon footprint to have that car produced. For all the transportation of raw materials, to all the many factory processes to forge the materials, to the factory footprint to build it.  My car is 12 years old...  I am having several body panels refinished this month to chase of the hint of starting corrosion.

Negative. The car can certainly meet emissions regs on the road. However, the "character"of the car will be changed significantly. A stock 2015 Jetta 2L TDI will rip off 8sec 0-60 runs and complete the 1/4 mile in the low 16s. It will also give better than 40mpgs if driven gently. The car is capable of all of the above and it's also capable of meeting emission standards. It is not however, capable of doing both at the same time...

Thanks for the response.  It's good to hear the cars can meet the regs on the road.   Everyone keeps saying VW was cheating and they will owe some huge fine, but little details that matter are being left out of the news.  Does the government set the standards and the conditions during which they apply?  Would the car meet the standards if driven on the road under those conditions?   If so, VW met the standards.   --Now, will VW pay a fine?  I'm sure the government will find a way to extort money from them.  And if people are angry, blame the government for doing a poor job of setting standards and test conditions.

Makes me wonder if consumers were given the choice (say with a switch) between performance mode and green mode, which they would choose most of the time. 

They are.  It is called the right foot.  Use of cruise control.  How you accelerate from a stop.  How you cancel cruise (plan ahead) vs. braking for traffic, speed reductions...

Nice to have both at your disposal.  

Is that even possible anymore?

Clarence

Yes.  There are plenty of vintage 60's muscle cars to invest in and enjoy.  You are heavily penalized for buying new in my state (10 years of taxes on purchase price average) 2006 is the key year to find a pampered princess to welcome home.  Regressive taxation to punish those that support new emissions and retail commerce.  Awesome.

I will buy used thank you very much Mr. politician.