VW Dilemma

Piloto

Bullshit, quotations, or or you're full of it. 40x is what the WV engines were doing when it comes to NOxs. Fires are precisely screwed because of the industry. It's only in the last 10 years or so that the forest service finally allowed the brush and deadfall to start burning. And yes, the VWs in this world blow away all the fires, volcanoes, etc, once again quotations. Please deliver because otherwise 40% of all pollution is easily attributed to transportations. Say otherwise, prove it, or quite spreading BS. You know, I don't take BS from either left or right of the spectrum, so prove you're right.

Wow.  40x?  40x!!!! this is an outrage!!!! what? 40x what??? What is the legal limit. How was it derived?  The above post is a stream of incoherent babble...  VW is guilty of lying and deliberate deception and they deserve to be punished. However, as Byron alluded to earlier, in this country emissions regs are stacked against Diesels, and it reeks of corporate welfare for Detroit (my opinion). Even with the the regs, there is nothing to stop Diesel (or petrol) engine operators from getting their vehicles reprogrammed (the "rolling coal" post is but one of the most egregious examples). I know more than one person who's had the fuel and timing maps on their TDIs "re-flashed" for impressive HP and torque gains.. 

BTW, Do you run LOP?  If you do, you should understand that stoichiometric (peak) is where the CO and NOx lines cross. That is to say that CO emissions drop to very low levels while NOx levels begin to increase significantly at peak and leaner before dropping off again at extremely lean efficiency ratios.  I assure you that a 4 cylinder Mooney being run from peak to LOP is likely producing far more in the way NOx than several Diesel VWs for a given distance (VW diesels make up far less than 1% of the cars on the road in the US). If you run ROP, your producing far more CO most any passenger car on the road.  Either way your outrage rings hollow in it's hypocrisy/ignorance. 

There is nothing of technical consequence in your post. It's all sturm und drang und scheisse. 

I won't try to BS you, that'd be like turning a squirt gun on a firehose.  Your avatar is totally apropos!  You should be in media.  You have a real knack for taking dramatic license - fires and volcanos indeed...

Edited by Shadrach

If you though the diesel VWs emissions was overwhelming  just imagine replacing all the yellow cabs in NYC with two horse driven carriages. The horses emissions and droppings plus the green back flies around it will make you beg for VWs. That was the way NYC was 150 years ago. And crossing the streets in NYC at night you were likely to step on it. Since the introduction of the automobile no need to shovel poos anymore.

José

Edited by Piloto

I hope the electricity to charge that Fusion doesn't come from a coal fired power plant!

Clarence

even if it does, the coal power plant releases less emissions than an internal combustion engine to produce that energy.

with regard to range, Tesla has it figured out. Free superchargers  everywhere.  90% charge in 30 minutes and that gives you over 220 miles range. The OCR speed limit sign reader and gentle warning on the panel when u exceed it by 11 mph is a nice plus. 

Edited by jetdriven

Drive 200 miles, stop for a half hour, doesn't sound attractive. Especially when there are so few supercharging stations available across the country. May be a good commuter, back and forth to work and the grocery store, but you'll need a real vehicle to travel more than about 80-100 miles from home.

meanwhile, I'll be watching to see whether VW actually pays the fine, or if they negotiate it down to nearly nothing.

I'm

Drive 200 miles, stop for a half hour, doesn't sound attractive. Especially when there are so few supercharging stations available across the country. May be a good commuter, back and forth to work and the grocery store, but you'll need a real vehicle to travel more than about 80-100 miles from home.

meanwhile, I'll be watching to see whether VW actually pays the fine, or if they negotiate it down to nearly nothing.

so few?  I think they've reached critical mass.  Get out of your car and stretch your legs for 20 minutes every four hours? Pay me 30-40$ to do it?  I'm in.   

Supercharger map. 

image.thumb.png.6050455d156fe8c882e54de3

Are those completed or planed stations personally I think a plug in electric is fine as long as the earth police don't take away my option to drive what I choose. California air resource board has passed a requirement for a 10 percent reduction in the carbon content in gas what the hell do they think makes gas burn, dish soap.

vehicle mileage is tied to the energy contained in its fuel as you reduce that energy you also reduce your fuel mileage. A 1983 Honda civic could achieve 50 miles per gallon not so high tech but the fuel had more energy and a higher octane than today's gas I can't imagine what mileage would be possible if we had some decent gas at the pump with today's engines.

Edited by bonal
  • Like 1

Byron, there are five "stations" in Auburn, AL, out behind the mall. Just a leisurely ten to fifteen minute drive from the interstate where you will be passing through. So your "fuel stop" here will be an hour. I have many choices right along the interstate and will be gone again in five minutes.

Happy recharging. My parents are about 450 miles from here, don't really want to stop for an hour right before I get there . . . And firing up the computer to look for charging stations enroute and programming them into my GPS every time I go anywhere isn't my idea of fun, either. 

But the Teslas look like fun little toys! I'll get to the beach in NC in one day, you'll be spending the night somewhere near a plugin standing in the middle of a parking lot.

I got a ride in a Tesla...the larger than big IPad like screen shows where all the charging stations are on your route.

The choices of swapping out the battery packs are interesting.  Some people like to swap out their BBQ propane tanks too...

My ride was short.  We went an equivalent of the distance of the runway at the home drome, while looking for FOD...:)

Fast and quiet.

That pilot has a whole bunch of solar energy panels on his building's roof...

Huge sedan, faster in the quarter mile than many older Corvettes.  Seats four.

hope they do well as they age.

reminds me of LEDs vs traditional technology.  Or them fancy touch screens.  Takes a while to get used to, I guess.

best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

At the local Intel plant the charging stations are closer to the door then the handicapped spots. So the electric drivers get the rock star parking! And free electricity!

Its the same where I work.  The "Tesla" charging station is prime parking and full of cars owned by executives.  If you happen to drive a Leaf, its still good parking, but not as good.

Ah, geez.  Little Timmy reincarnated as an environmentalist.

Little Timmy has grown up.  He drives a German car.  It runs on gas.  Premium gas.  He likes military history.  He has a vintage German Mauser K98 rifle (scoped) that he uses it to knock down buck in the Fall.  He also has a German pistol, but it holds 18 US made german designed rounds.  He wears a watch, Chronograph that is Swiss made.  His phone is China made by US design.  He laughs at electric cars.  ALL electric cars.  He understands why the Prius looks as it does and why (options for transportation are varied.)  Some for the right reasons, (choice) and some for the wrong reasons, (Big G picking winners and losers). 

Little Timmy supports the environment by buying ammunition, hunting licenses, boat registration, buying efficient modern gas engines, Checking his air in his tires, changing his plugs and oil, keeping his thermostat at a reasonable setting (just right) and using efficent light bulbs.

He doesn't hug trees, but he loves them.  Especially young forests, about 7-10 years after a clear cut when the stem density is high, and the Grouse and Woodcock have food and nesting grounds.  He hopes he can leave a little lead in the woods.  That lead also supports the future success of the habitat.

Edited by MyNameIsNobody
  • Like 2

Little Timmy has grown up.  He drives a German car.  It runs on gas.  Premium gas.  He likes military history.  He has a vinatage German Mauser K98 rifle (scoped) that he uses it to knock down buck in the Fall.  He also has a German pistol, but it holds 18 US mad german designed rounds.  He wears a watch, Chronograph that is Swiss made.  His phone is China made by US design.  He laughs at electric cars.  ALL electric cars.  He understands why the Prius looks as it does and why (options for transportation are varied.)  Some for the right reasons, (choice) and some for the wrong reasons, (Big G picking winners and losers). 

Little Timmy supports the environment by buying ammunition, hunting licenses, boat registration, buying efficient modern gas engines, Checking his air in his tires, changing his plugs and oil, keeping his thermostat at a reasonable setting (just right) and using efficent light bulbs.

He doesn't hug trees, but he loves them.  Especially young forests, about 7-10 years after a clear cut when the stem density is high, and the Grouse and Woodcock have food and nesting grounds.  He hopes he can leave a little lead in the woods.  That lead also supports the future success of the habitat.

Timmy must be thin and healthy if he can hide behind a 10 year old tree before blasting some unsuspecting critters.

Clarence

Timmy must be thin and healthy if he can hide behind a 10 year old tree before blasting some unsuspecting critters.

Clarence

Hey Clarence...before you speak about something you apparently have no knowledge about...perhaps you should educate yourself.  They call it Grouse hunting...not killing.  There is no hiding involved.  The Grouse usually wins and he/she is far from unsuspecting.  

Hey Clarence...before you speak about something you apparently have no knowledge about...perhaps you should educate yourself.  They call it Grouse hunting...not killing.  There is no hiding involved.  The Grouse usually wins and he/she is far from unsuspecting.  

You apparently are lacking a sense of humour?  

Clarence

No sense of humor?  I think this thread is funny as hell.  Every time I see a Volt and a Prius I smile.  I LOVE the new Audi A3 Electric Ad.  You want some laughs?  Check that out.  Bike girl so wants to do the Red A3 guy.  Prius soon to be double bumper sticker guy?  Not so much.  Free range chicken/solar panel on the roof guy...NOPE.  German Gas-electric fun guy?  Yup.

I am hurt doc...and after I liked your Antarctic video...sigh...Back to my Jack Reacher Make Me novel.  Reacher...I get him.  You two, not so much.