100 year old airplane

N201MKTurbo

I was just thinking about how long airplanes can be kept airworthy.

I was wondering if there are any 100 year old airplanes that are still airworthy? Surely within the next ten years there will be.

I did a quick search and found a few replicas, but no restored originals.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Was at Smithsonian Aerospace yesterday. Wright Bros. authentic replica on display.

Looked airworthy to me, including the launch catapult.

Spirit of St. Louis, about 88 yrs. old, looked a bit shaky, but sure Lindy could have it air born in a couple weeks.

As they say,

It just depends.

There is an old joke I saw once on a comedy show - a guy showed up and said, this is George Washington's axe.  Of course the handle rotted so he had to replace it.  And the blade rusted so he had to replace that too.  Otherwise, its George Washington's axe.

lol.  I know what you mean, but it's as close as they get to the real thing.  That said, even the replicas are antiques at this point and most of the Rhinebeck fleet is quite authentic...if not the actual airframe.

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome still flies one originally built in 1909.  Going to visit this weekend.  One of the greatest aviation experiences around.

http://oldrhinebeck.org/ORA/bleriot-xi/

I love that place... Went for a ride one year... And flew in there back in the 70s. Met Cole Palen back then too.

Bill

Edited by DrBill

Did you take the Mooney in there?  I found something not long ago about "Mooney parking" at the Aerodrome, apparently at the end of the runway where Mooneys end up...  Always wanted to fly in, they recently did EAA day, was tempted to fly in, but the field can be quite rough.

Hi Folks,

I am one of the pilots and a museum trustee at Old Rhinebeck.  One of your Mooney brethren gave me a link to this thread, thought I would chime in.

The Bleriot XI.  Ours is original insomuch that it was built by Bleriot in France and then imported into US shortly thereafter.  It was donated to Palen in the 60's as a basket case after having been wrecked in 1910.  The front end with the Anzani engine is original, and the back third of the aircraft is original as well.  Research "the Ship of Theseus" for more on the idea of what it means to be original...not unlike GW's axe only the concept goes back thousands of years.  We hop it every Saturday during the airshow season, come check it out.  Only Shuttleworth's Bleriot is older.  The two aircraft are roughly 60 units apart from the factory.

Flying in to the Aerodrome.  Call ahead for permission and to receive arrival briefing.  845-752-3200.  The Aerodrome's runway is one of the very worst runways you will ever operate off of.  It is 2200 feet long with 150 foot trees close in on each end.  The middle 800-1000 feet is the smoothest and best suited for a landing.  Takeoffs are performed only after a briefing in person with ORA staff and a quick drive up and down of the runway to show where the low spots are.  It has multiple elevation changes along its length, highest at the south end and dropping to its lowest at the north end.  It is uneven and even undulating in certain sections.  We have had Bonanzas, Skylanes, Skyhawks, Cherokees and other like minded aircraft from other manufacturers all into the field over the years, as well as a few Mooney's over the years as well, although every year the trees get taller on each end (the trees are not located on property owned by the museum).  Too often the ability to operate in and out of the field is not so much limited by the aircraft type or its capabilities, but rather by the pilot's.  All things to keep in mind.  Please call ahead for permission and to discuss.  Alternately we have a very nice municipal airport across the river at Kingston (20N) and the local cab company is happy to bring folks over to the museum.  There is also Dutchess County (KPOU) to the south with full services as well.

Thank you for everyone's interest and we hope to see you at the aerodrome!

2015-09-14 11.02.34.jpg

Edited by Clay Hammond
  • Like 6

Clay,

Thank you very much for joining in and filling us in on the details!

We really like getting information right from the source. :)

We are really good (usually) when we are chasing down details from various venders.

The Bleriot is a treasure.  Probably because it's resemblance to early Mooneys.  And it's missions of speed and efficiency.

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the detailed feedback Clay!

Another option to experience old airplanes, which Clay has spent countless hours flying at, is Peachstate Aerodrome - http://www.peachstateaero.com

They have a 1918 Jenny that is flying again as well as many other antiques and classics.  Some spectacular events throughout the year, a great museum and restaurant.  People say that the grass runway is rough but I think it is pretty Mooney friendly.  I have my best landings touching down uphill on 13, you climb that hill in your flare and just reach down with one wheel until it just starts to skim the grass...then hoooold it off.  You'll impress your passengers every time!

Edited by Culver LFA
  • Like 1

Clay,

Thank you very much for joining in and filling us in on the details!

We really like getting information right from the source. :)

We are really good (usually) when we are chasing down details from various venders.

The Bleriot is a treasure.  Probably because it's resemblance to early Mooneys.  And it's missions of speed and efficiency.

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony - since you are now the king of the Jersey Mooney group - how about you call a Jersey Mooney fly in at 20N and I will come!  and we all head over to the Old Rhinebeck - I never been and now I want to go.

• Like 1

By the way, ended up going last Sunday and saw Clay put on a nice show.  Was hoping to introduce myself, but he was hopping rides.  I was glad to see that the spirit of Cole Palen is alive and well.  I wish I could find more time to volunteer some time there.  It is really impressive that the volunteers keep up with the place so well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for coming out Takair!

Sky Park (46N) is no longer maintained as an airport.  It is no longer owned by aviation minded people.  All structures have been removed and the paved runway is not kept up other than they run a bush hog through there every once in a while.

Edited by Clay Hammond

Thanks for coming out Takair!

Sky Park (46N) is no longer maintained as an airport.  It is no longer owned by aviation minded people.  All structures have been removed and the paved runway is not kept up other than they run a bush hog through there every once in a while.

Are there still classic airplanes there?

Hi Folks,

I am one of the pilots and a museum trustee at Old Rhinebeck.  One of your Mooney brethren gave me a link to this thread, thought I would chime in.

The Bleriot XI.  Ours is original insomuch that it was built by Bleriot in France and then imported into US shortly thereafter.  It was donated to Palen in the 60's as a basket case after having been wrecked in 1910.  The front end with the Anzani engine is original, and the back third of the aircraft is original as well.  Research "the Ship of Theseus" for more on the idea of what it means to be original...not unlike GW's axe only the concept goes back thousands of years.  We hop it every Saturday during the airshow season, come check it out.  Only Shuttleworth's Bleriot is older.  The two aircraft are roughly 60 units apart from the factory.

Flying in to the Aerodrome.  Call ahead for permission and to receive arrival briefing.  845-752-3200.  The Aerodrome's runway is one of the very worst runways you will ever operate off of.  It is 2200 feet long with 150 foot trees close in on each end.  The middle 800-1000 feet is the smoothest and best suited for a landing.  Takeoffs are performed only after a briefing in person with ORA staff and a quick drive up and down of the runway to show where the low spots are.  It has multiple elevation changes along its length, highest at the south end and dropping to its lowest at the north end.  It is uneven and even undulating in certain sections.  We have had Bonanzas, Skylanes, Skyhawks, Cherokees and other like minded aircraft from other manufacturers all into the field over the years, as well as a few Mooney's over the years as well, although every year the trees get taller on each end (the trees are not located on property owned by the museum).  Too often the ability to operate in and out of the field is not so much limited by the aircraft type or its capabilities, but rather by the pilot's.  All things to keep in mind.  Please call ahead for permission and to discuss.  Alternately we have a very nice municipal airport across the river at Kingston (20N) and the local cab company is happy to bring folks over to the museum.  There is also Dutchess County (KPOU) to the south with full services as well.

Thank you for everyone's interest and we hope to see you at the aerodrome!

2015-09-14 11.02.34.jpg

Sweet  would love to ride in something like that one day.

and to think there are people afraid of getting into a Mooney.:huh: