Flight control malfunctions / instrument anomalies

wishboneash

I think that is the same presenter as the 'children of the magenta line'.  Very interesting to watch.

Pretty interesting topic regarding the power of the rudder compared to ailerons with the addition of the change of AOA.

Unfortunately, we don't have power steering beyond my rudder trim...?

Later in the presentation, the runaway trim is somewhat similar...

best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

This is also the same guy who was instrmental in the copilot's excessive rudder use in the AA Airbus crash.  (Vertical stab/rudder failure)

I say "instrumental" because there is no way to determine his culpability.

The big issue that surfaced was the huge industry mis-understanding about Va.

Pilots fly as they are trained!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNWbUB68oO4

Sad.

Edited by Mooneymite

Caution:  that video is horrible to see...

it opens with... 9/11 footage then goes directly into flaming wreckage in the streets of NYC.

MM, I recall the full rudder deflection discussions.  

By design, full control inputs are expected to be acceptable below Va.  Has training improved to include how drastic the speed of those inputs can be?

IR training does to some extent, but that is to best control the plane.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Caution:  that video is horrible to see...

it opens with... 9/11 footage then goes directly into flaming wreckage in the streets of NYC.

Best regards,

-a-

This is one of a long seres of videos about crashes.  The crash investigations are generally fascinating, but yes....there are rather morbid dramatizations of crash scenarios.

Thanks for the warning.

I think that is the same presenter as the 'children of the magenta line'.  Very interesting to watch.

Pretty interesting topic regarding the power of the rudder compared to ailerons with the addition of the change of AOA.

Unfortunately, we don't have power steering beyond my rudder trim...?

Later in the presentation, the runaway trim is somewhat similar...

best regards,

-a-

Yes, same guy. I had not heard of "cross-over angle of attack" before and how it played a role in certain recovery situations. The last bit about the Delta pilot getting out of a jammed elevator during take off by rolling to reduce was quite something. Who would have thought of that? And then the "drinks are in first class" comment. LOL.

• Like 1

This is also the same guy who was instrmental in the copilot's excessive rudder use in the AA Airbus crash.  (Vertical stab/rudder failure)

The big issue that surfaced was the huge industry mis-understanding about Va.

I still disagree with conclusions, I think the industry understood it just find, they just changed the rules to protect airbus.

I would have used a titanium alloy skeleton with tongues instead of the fiber composite tongues, but that would have cost more $.

• Like 2

By "industry misunderstanding" was inferred there was a knowledge disconnect between the engineers who built the planes and the pilots who flew them.

If the designers need to make changes, okay.....but tell us before we go break stabilizers off!

As far as the Boeing hard over rudders, Parker Hannifin swore rudder reversal was impossible with their PCU design.  However, there haven't been any more incidents after their perfect design was changed.