Ovation3-specific Sun Visor

StevenL757

I understand this may only target a small crowd, but Brian - my mechanic in Texas - is having a new pilot's side sun visor made up for me with the Ovation3 Cruise Power Schedule on it (see photo).  This is essentially the same data found on the 2500rpm 280HP Ovations, but has the 2550, 2600, and 2700rpm Best Power and Best Econ cruise numbers on it.  I'm guessing those of you who own a 2008'ish Ovation3 from the factory should already have this.  Those with earlier Ovation1, Ovation2-DX, Ovation2-GX, or Eagle aircraft who had 310HP/2700RPM conversions probably have visors with the "old" data.

Anyone interested in ordering one?  They are (cough, cough) $330 each and take roughly 2 weeks to arrive once ordered.

I asked about them last year when my new engine and prop were being done, and was told they were hard to come by.  For me, it "completes the picture" as far as my 310HP upgrade went, so although I see it as a rather expensive piece of plastic, it falls under "nice-to-have".  If anyone is interested in one, please let me know and I'll put you in touch with Brian.  He'll take your specific information and get back to you individually with logistics to complete the order.

Regards, Steve

Ovation3 Sun Visor.jpg

I can't see those damn numbers anyway so I think I'll pass. Besides, I wouldn't pay attention to them anyway, as I just fly WOT and LOP just about all the time.  When I do try to follow those numbers, it seems to get the CHTs much higher than I would like.  What I really wish is that Rosen would come out with some visors for the Long Bodies like they have for the J.  I loved those things on my J...they could articulate out and were big enough to actually be helpful. I find the dinky stock visors to be pretty useless.  

Edited by Jeff_S
  • Like 1

Yep...can't disagree with Mark, Anthony or Jeff.  I had to buy a copilot side visor a few years ago when an avionics guy snapped it getting in the cockpit while doing an IFR recert, and remember them being about $75 to replace.  The pilot side without silk screening was about the same price.

I can't see those damn numbers anyway so I think I'll pass. Besides, I wouldn't pay attention to them anyway, as I just fly WOT and LOP just about all the time.  When I do try to follow those numbers, it seems to get the CHTs much higher than I would like.  What I really wish is that Rosen would come out with some visors for the Long Bodies like they have for the J.  I loved those things on my J...they could articulate out and were big enough to actually be helpful. I find the dinky stock visors to be pretty useless.  

The Rosens fit long bodies. I have them in my Ovation. They can fill the windshield down to the glare shield as pictured to the left here. The 310hp power schedule (minus the temperature correction note) is available as a PDF. I keep it on my ipad. 

Regards

I have a set of Rosens and a set of Ovation visors.  I am trying to decide which to use.  My plane has an Ovation interior (although installed in an F, the cabin dimensions are essentially the same in terms of width and height in the panel and windshield area.  The Rosens I have when folded up cover the rocker switches in the ceiling.  Do people using the Rosen visors cut away the plastic so the switches are accessible.  It makes no sense to have to move the visor to operate the switches.  

Can anyone post a picture of the Rosens installed in an Ovation?  I would like to see if I have the same visor.

Thanks,

John Breda

What I am thinking of doing is cutting out a corner of the Rosen plexiglass visor which corresponds to the size of the overhead light panel.  That way, you have the larger visor, but do not have to reach under the visor at night to work the light switches.  This could be done with a jeweler's saw, a flat file and/or a Dremel tool being careful not to heat up the plastic much.

John Breda

So I did some more checking.  Contrary to some language in my first post, the silk screened visor does NOT contain the same data as my STC.  Fabricating a visor with the corrected data would be more expensive than $330 I posted.  Not a necessary spend for me any more unfortunately.  I went ahead and printed the STC page out on heavy card stock, laminated it, and stuck it in the map pocket on the captain's side.

I'll take Tom's example above, and most likely order some Rosens in the next couple of months.  Will probably use John's trimming idea to get around the overhead light panel access issue.  The small factory visors - although they fit nice and flush to the ceiling - don't do much good, so looking forward to some larger shades.  I think the time has come...