Issues with new Lycoming

RobertGary1

Parts arrive in boxes and they get assembled.  Unless they take the step to flush all the components (injector lines, injectors, flow divider, flexible fuel lines)  before assembling them I can see how. 

Edited by jetdriven

It does make you wonder how an engine that was run on a test cell at the factory could have dirty injectors on delivery?

Clarence

I don't believe it. There's more to the story.

I'd be interested to hear Lycoming's side of the facts.

Personally, I'm extremely happy with my engine. I couldn't ask for anything more. Fires up in one blade and runs superbly. 

It doesn't get any better than this. Stock injectors.

image.thumb.png.365feb947382d48a9e82a6b5

Edited by PTK

Perdonally, I'm extremely happy with my engine. I couldn't ask for anything more. Fires up in one blade and runs superbly. 

our first one did too.  Right to the shop where we took a look inside and it was all ruined.  

Edited by jetdriven

Understand that we're talking about very very small pieces of debris. The piece I found in the #2 injector insert was not much more than a grain of sand. It doesn't take much to slightly alter the spray pattern. These engines are very sensitive to a good pattern (as are all injected engines).

-Robert

Personally, I'm extremely happy with my engine. I couldn't ask for anything more. Fires up in one blade and runs superbly. 

It doesn't get any better than this. Stock injectors.

image.thumb.png.365feb947382d48a9e82a6b5

Maybe I shouldn't be appending during my 2nd glass of wine.....

How/why are the EGTs peaking during an increase in fuel flow?

Maybe I should just hit the sack and call it a day.....

our first one did too.  Right to the shop where we took a look inside and it was all ruined.  

Wow! And all that camguard money pissed down the oil bucket?! 

I'd be pissed too!

image.png

Edited by PTK

Wow! And all that camguard money pissed down the oil bucket?! 

I'd be pissed too!

Right, because the $45 extra at each oil interval is the real loss when a factory new engine fails inside of 500hrs.

Oh wait, you were joking weren't you Peter!  Well that was a good one sir!!! Nothing like making a joke about the infant mortality of a fellow airman's $50K engine to engender good cheer.  Anyone lost a job or have a death in the family recently? Please let us know; Peter has a joke to make at your expense!

The he are a lot of spirited discussions on this board and with those discussions come disagreements.

However, I think most would agree that your comment was nothing but a cheap shot.

It's not the first time...I don't understand why you do it.

Edited by Shadrach

It wasn't a joke! It's serious business. And he wasn't talking about his new engine! Read!!

Your contention that camguard is snake oil is not serious business and it is contrary to published 3rd party tests. I know this was not his most recent engine. Do you think that somehow makes your comment less boorish?

Edited by Shadrach

In my experience engine longevity seems to be greatly a crap shoot. I've had engines that lasted forever with little maintenance. My last Lycoming was a 1050 SFEW (yes, I bought a 100% factory new engine) and it disassembled in flight, leaving me with no core value. I also have a fork-tongued Bo with a 6 Cont engine that at 100 hours  SMOH and about a year cracked the case. When the case was opened the cam (which was new) was found to be pitted. 

The preservative that seems to work best is hot oil a couple times a week. :)

-Robert

I have never said it's snake oil! What I've said is that it's good money down the used oil bucket!

But it's only my opinion! It's worth exactly what you paid for it!

all those engine shops. All the tests and oil analyses.  One twin pilot added it to one engine and not the other for a year period and noticed a difference in the oil analysis. 

Nevermind that XC oil and vanguard is cheaper than aeroshell 15W50 and has more corrosion inhibiting agents.  No, aeroshell is better.  

Let's ignore the whole world and do what a dentist from NJ who doesn't even change his own oil says.  Let's do that  

Interestingly he likes corrosion-X even though it's the same inventor and the same technology.  

Heres another happy 182 pilot's engine who didn't believe in camguard. Aeroshell 100 it's the best. Ran great he said. He hit a taxiway light and shipped the engine for tear down. That's where it got ugly, the crank, the cam, the oil pump, and all the lifters were scrap. Add ten grand to the cost of a Custom Airmotive overhaul, the factory engine would have been cheaper. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1183e92e655b92e95b38c94

image.thumb.jpeg.f7ffedfc6f93972090a4ded

Cant upload photo  only allowed 1.62MB

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

all those engine shops. All the tests and oil analyses.  One twin pilot added it to one engine and not the other for a year period and noticed a difference in the oil analysis. 

Nevermind that XC oil and vanguard is cheaper than aeroshell 15W50 and has more corrosion inhibiting agents.  No, aeroshell is better.  

Let's ignore the whole world and do what a dentist from NJ who doesn't even change his own oil says.  Let's do that  

Interestingly he likes corrosion-X even though it's the same inventor and the same technology.  

Heres another happy 182 pilot's engine who didn't believe in camguard. Aeroshell 100 it's the best. Ran great he said. He hit a taxiway light and shipped the engine for tear down. That's where it got ugly, the crank, the cam, the oil pump, and all the lifters were scrap. Add ten grand to the cost of a Custom Airmotive overhaul, the factory engine would have been cheaper. 

Jaysus... I find it hard to believe that he was cutting his filters much less getting oil analysis. Unless he never changed his oil, I have to believe that there was metal in the filter for at least a few oil changes.

Edited by Shadrach

In my experience engine longevity seems to be greatly a crap shoot.

-Robert

I sort of believe that, especially with factory new products. 

I will continue to overhaul what I have as long as I can. My cam and crank are 48 years old and have a single resurface behind them. When the engine is removed from service, I will likely feel much better reusing those same components than rolling the "Factory New" dice. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to flying behind multiple cheap electric engines.

I'm sure some guy in 1960 said "I look forward to flying behind a computer controlled engine". So far we're about 100 years behind in motor technology. So if electric motors become common in cars we should have them around 2126. :)

-Robert

• Like 1

Looking forward to flying behind multiple cheap electric engines.

I'm looking forward to battery technology that will provide the necessary energy to run those motors. 

At least, in my example, the batteries are not gonna happen. There really is a finite limit to electrochemical energy storage. And those theoretical limits, while markedly higher than any battery we have today, are still far short of hydrocarbon fuels.